Z50 @ Thailand beach

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
fdfgdfgdgf
fdfgdfgdgf Regular Member • Posts: 106
Z50 @ Thailand beach

Took a few test photos today but again the kit lens is not ready for that mission and also a speed light is required.

Now not sure if to wait for the 24-105 S or just to buy the 24-200VR

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,278
Re: Z50 @ Thailand beach

fdfgdfgdgf wrote:

Took a few test photos today but again the kit lens is not ready for that mission and also a speed light is required.

Now not sure if to wait for the 24-105 S or just to buy the 24-200VR

Congrats on your new camera! Looks like a fun shoot with some nice models.

I know you highlighted the lens selection. But in addition, I had some thoughts on improving the photos themselves. As someone who has shot models, portraits and headshots for nearly 20 years a few things jump out at me.

First, as you noted, an on-camera flash (speed light or built-in) is never ideal IMO for pro model shoots. I know many photographers use on-camera flash to fill shadows. For causal/unpaid work that could be fine. But as your shots show, it creates a very flat light on your subject which is less flattering. Moving a speedlight off-camera/ off-axis on the other hand for fill can produce great images.

The framing is awkward for me on this one. Cutting off hands, feet and part of her leg, plus the empty space in the upper left leaves the image feeling quite unbalanced.

Again framing/composition could use some work. Cutting off the left arm/elbow, cropping at waist and empty space at top left create an awkward image.

I would crop in tighter on the right side of image though her elbow touching the left edge of the frame throws it off a bit. Background is also distracting on this one.

Cute pose from your model. The crooked horizon line (not enough to be a "Dutch Angle") makes this feel unbalanced. And again, she's touching the right and top edges of the frame. I would either leave a little room between her and the edge or crop in more.

This has potential. I would still crop more symmetrically with less head room. The kids on the beach in the background in the small of her back doesn't add anything and I would clone them out.

Clearly your subjects are enjoying themselves. That's a good sign of your rapport with them as a photographer. But the framing/composition is awkward, background is distracting and the flat fill flash in unflattering. Also the strands of fluttering hair in the face/body are distracting.

Hope this helpful. Of course, only my opinion. I'm sure others will see these photos differently. Enjoy your new camera!

Keep shooting and more importantly keep having fun!

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
fdfgdfgdgf
OP fdfgdfgdgf Regular Member • Posts: 106

But the framing/composition is awkward, background is distracting and the flat fill flash in unflattering.

Exactly. I just ordered the 50mm 1.8S instated of  zoom  to solve the distracting background and get better IQ.

Composition, i see i  that i am  cutting elbows and legs i can get arrested soon LOL .  and for the speedlight well i am not a photographer and the girls are not models just met them so not sure if i carry speed light in my bag when going out to the beach to relax.

Thanks, point taken

PLShutterbug Contributing Member • Posts: 504

fdfgdfgdgf wrote:

But the framing/composition is awkward, background is distracting and the flat fill flash in unflattering.

Exactly. I just ordered the 50mm 1.8S instated of zoom to solve the distracting background and get better IQ.

A 50mm will get mild compression but it isn’t very long for head/shoulders work, and you really won’t solve the distracting background just with the lens. The people and items in the background that were distracting still will be, they will just be further out of focus. So instead of having somewhat-fuzzy distracting blobs you will have very fuzzy distracting blobs.

What you need is a lens that will provide a more narrow field of view so you can limit the distractions by seeing less of an angle behind your subject and whatever is back there, and look more carefully at the area behind the subject and move to an area with less going on. A lower angle might help too - shooting from eye level is never as interesting as either lower or higher viewpoints.

Hope this helps as well.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D7100 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads