d800 shutter count?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
hobbyphotographer Regular Member • Posts: 291
d800 shutter count?

Is a shutter count of around 156K + too much on a D800 if buying new-to-me?

Also--if I purchased this--can Nikon replace the shutter if it dies?  What's the cost of something like that? Is this camera still being serviced until 2022?

Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875
Re: d800 shutter count?

The D800 spec is 200,000 actuations. The selling price of a D800 cost to a retail company in good condition is £420. So getting the shutter replaced is a poor economic decision to make.

The same retail company sells a D800 in good condition for £600. So buying it with a view of perhaps changing the shutter seems a bad decision to me. Just buy it and use it until it breaks then sell it for parts.

- Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
OP hobbyphotographer Regular Member • Posts: 291

Is buying a camera with that many acutations already a mistake?

jebo1 Regular Member • Posts: 255

If it makes you feel insecure it is. So it depends on your character and expectations. Personally I would buy a used camera only from a shop with some sort of guarantee but that is me.

jebo1's gear list:jebo1's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon D700 +1 more
romfordbluenose Veteran Member • Posts: 4,875

It depends how much you are paying for it, which you haven't said. What would you pay for a car with that many miles on the clock?

-- hide signature --

Please don't quote long posts, it just fills up the forum with repetitive information. Just replying to the poster or selectively quoting will make it all easier to read.

romfordbluenose's gear list:romfordbluenose's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Nikon D800 Nikon D7500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +11 more
SushiEater
SushiEater Forum Pro • Posts: 11,349

hobbyphotographer wrote:

Also--if I purchased this--can Nikon replace the shutter if it dies? What's the cost of something like that? Is this camera still being serviced until 2022?

The shutter is rated at 200k so it is too much but many reported that they get 3x the shutter ratings so it all depends on how much you are paying for the camera. IMHO $800 is too much but $500 is not.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

SushiEater's gear list:SushiEater's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon D5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR +15 more
M Lammerse
M Lammerse Forum Pro • Posts: 11,530

hobbyphotographer wrote:

Also--if I purchased this--can Nikon replace the shutter if it dies? What's the cost of something like that? Is this camera still being serviced until 2022?

If in any case you can get a D810, even with just a bit more on the counter, I would take that one.

Michel

Sorry, I must have turned off notifications.

Here is what I am looking at right now. I currently shoot a D300 for reference and still occasionally also use my D40.

Choices are:

D700 with less than 3K or less than 8k actuations (two different bodies; testing for banding later tonight when I am going to take a dark scene with lights), cost of about $569ish (same price for each). Practically new, although the one with less than 3K seems super snappy and has nothing at all that I can find wrong with it.

D800 with 156K actuations, cost about $639.

Same vendor, 6 month warranty.

Torn here. So far my D700 I am super happy with the indoor files, I love the look of the bokeh and they seem really beautiful colors. However some files appear less sharp or have a certain 'fuzziness' to the noise or a haziness to the images. Landscapes/outdoor seem a bit dull BUT still lovely colors. Not sure why this is.

D800, indoor files, about the same indoor look to the 700, a bit more sharp of course due to pixels. Files are slow and can only fit about 45 on a card which is annoying. However I have seen the outdoor files in particular seem to have great color and DR. Body quite a bit more beat up though everything seems functional.

Either of these has shown me I am going to have to work a bit harder on an FX sensor to nail exposures, focus, etc than I do currently--so I will be working on my technique!!

Difference in price between these bodies is not significant. I do seem drawn to the 800 although I like the colors in the 700 so much.

I can post a link to my shutterstock port later on when I have a bit more time for reference for they style of things I shoot.

Any thoughts on this and the cost of the body?  It seems high for a model with so many actuations based on what y'all are saying.

What about thoughts on the 700s re: price/cost vs actuations?

johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

hobbyphotographer wrote:

There seems to be an aversion by many posters to buying gear off ebay, even from sellers with high positive comments.  Just a quick glance showed me that relatively low actuations D800 bodies are selling in the $500-600 range, or a bit higher.   Over the last 4-5 years I have bought 2 D800 bodies, 1 D800e body, and one D810 body off ebay and not a single problem with any of them.

These days I would not buy a body with more than 30K actuations, and would probably prefer even fewer.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
Michigan Sandman
Michigan Sandman Regular Member • Posts: 442

This is way too many shutter actuations IMHO. That is about 75% of Nikon"s shutter rating for this camera. Some have gone way past the 200,000 actuations, but some have shutters that have failed at at 75,000. It is a crap shoot. Unless you purchase the camera from a dealer with a warranty, purchasing this camera could be risky. It is doubtful that Nikon would still service this camera, since it was released in 2012.

Last Summer I went on vacation, and that was the first time my D700 stayed at home since 2009. I took a D800e, D500, and a Df with me, since I felt the D700 lacks some image detail that can be achieved with these other cameras. The D700 is still a good camera, but there are better options, but they all come at a price.

Michigan Sandman's gear list:Michigan Sandman's gear list
Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Nikon D3 Nikon D700 Nikon D3X Nikon D3S +112 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 4,774

When I sold my D800 about a year and a half ago it had something over 120,000 clicks. The shutter was still working fine. But six months earlier I had sent in the body and a lens to Nikon for testing/tune-up. I don't remember the exact charges for the repairs but it was something around $250-$400 for the D800 body, for worn out parts, a bent back plate, etc. My point being, a well used camera may have other latent issues as well. I would avoid the camera you describe unless the price was a real steal and you don't mind spending money to get it into good shape.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6
Robert 23 Forum Member • Posts: 94

I bought a D800E some days ago with 6k like new for 740GBP with 6 months warranty.
I think I am lucky enough. Am I?

Mark_A
Mark_A Forum Pro • Posts: 15,995
  1. hobbyphotographer wrote:

Sorry, I must have turned off notifications.

Here is what I am looking at right now. I currently shoot a D300 for reference and still occasionally also use ...

My D800 had 6k clicks when I bought it 2 years ago and was average priced at the time. I would probably not buy one with that many clicks.

D800 are selling well at the moment, MPB UK had something like 10 of them a month ago and they have all gone now. Average price perhaps £600.

I would go for a lower shutter count one myself.

Mark_A

Yes, I tend to agree, it might be too high for the price.  What an amazing camera though!!

I am most likely leaning toward the 700 for now, shooting the heck out of it, and then in a few years when the prices on the 810 come down going with one of those.

Okay.

The one 700 I am trialing literally has under 3k so i am leaning that way.  Is the price too high?  It does have a warranty.  Then an 810 in a couple of years when prices come down.

Yeah, I will likely return it.  I enjoy shooting it though—awesome camera!

realmadeira Regular Member • Posts: 264

hobbyphotographer wrote:

Fair price for well used with such shutter count D800 would be €300-400

snellius Senior Member • Posts: 1,031
Don't worry about the shutter.

hobbyphotographer wrote:

Don't worry about the shutter. The mirror and aperture mechanism are much more fragile.

Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Senior Member • Posts: 2,718
Re: Don't worry about the shutter.

In itself, the high shuttercount wouldn't necessarily worry me. Nikon guarantees these shutters for up to 200.000 clicks, but most cameras (not just Nikons) will easily surpass that number.

However, you do have to remember that not just the shutter but every single part of the camera will have gone through this high number of cycles. Parts will inevitably wear and what do you know about the way the previous owner used this camera. Was he a careful amateur or a reckless pro driving his camera to the very limits each and every day?

All in all, if the price was right something can be said for buying this camera. But to me it feels overpriced given it's age and mileage. For that money you should be able to find a less used sample or maybe even a D810 with less clicks.

-- hide signature --

(We are only immortal for a limited time)

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Sony RX10 II Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX95 Epson R-D1 +38 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads