Grabbed the x2 Oly tele converter

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Old Timer63
Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,823
Grabbed the x2 Oly tele converter

OK, it`s on sale or return so nothing lost.

First day, very hot in the UK but managed a few shots. I only have the 40-150 marvel so that converter had a lot to live up to. How does it fair against the 1.4? well although the 1.4 isn`t quite the same as the 40-150 on it`s own the 2x is another slight step away from perfection. One of the things is you really need steady hands, I am 75 and never carry a tripod now and after using the 2x for a while I noticed more shake coming into the images. It can produce decent images at full stretch but they need a touch more selective sharpening . I`m waiting for the moon rise in a few days after dark where I can use a tripod and timer to compare it against my 100-400 Pany. So, it can produce good images but not as good as with the 1.4 or obviously  with the lens on it`s own. I might just keep it for those times when I need that extra reach when I have just the 40-150  with me  ( which is most of the time) So no big surprises we knew the 2x would have an effect on the image quality of such a stellar lens. If you need that extra reach with the 40-150 and don`t have another long lens then it will do the job or if you intend to print large but for things like the web or face book the lens on it`s own is more than good enough for cropping. You will probably see where I have used a touch of selective sharpening but IMHO still better than using a DSLR.

also remember that images never look at their best on here

Dave

-- hide signature --
 Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +17 more
Old Timer63
OP Old Timer63 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,823
Re: Grabbed the x2 Oly tele converter

Well! no takers aye? seems like most people that have the 2x feel just like I do and I have an average copy rather than a lemon.

-- hide signature --
 Old Timer63's gear list:Old Timer63's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Fujifilm X-T10 +17 more
User9180204109
User9180204109 Regular Member • Posts: 119

I don't have the 2x so can't comment on that. I do have the 1.4x which mostly lives on my 300f4, happy with that but agree that the longer the focal length, the higher the risk of photographer shake issues. I don't pixel peep, but your squirrel shots look fine to me.

I had no plans to buy the 2x, but if Olympus' future is rather less certain now, I might consider it while still available. After all, even if the company ultimately disappears, the cameras and lenses should still be workable for years to come and the current advantages of MFT remain. Like many here I am already strongly invested in MFT and I don't see an alternate system that attracts me, quite apart from the cost issues. I still have some of my old Zuiko lenses from film days that get occasional use.

-- hide signature --

Julian White AM

User9180204109's gear list:User9180204109's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +7 more
drj3 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,610

All TCs do is magnify the image.  There is the same amount of light on the target with a cropped image and the TC image when both are used from the same distance.  If you can get closer (1/2 the distance), so the target is the same size for the lens image and the MC20 image, the lens image without the MC20 will always be much better.

Why is a TC better than cropping?  It spreads the same image over the whole sensor, so you have more pixels with less light per pixel vs the same amount of light on fewer pixels.  If your camera had an infinite number of pixels the crop would be as good or better than the TC image.

However, you have a limited number of pixels.  How does this affect sharpness of the image?  As a quick. rough indication of the difference in sharpness with a change in number of sensor pixels you can compare the sharpness of the same lens on DXO.

For example the 75mm f1.8 on the 12 MP EP3 has a P-Mpix score of 9, vs a score of 15 on the 20MP E-M1.2.  There are no 5MP mFTs cameras, but the difference would be considerably greater than the above with a 2X TC.

It is actually fairly easy to see if the MC20 is better with your specific lens than cropping the same image.  Photograph a very detailed target with the lens, then photograph it with the MC20 at two stops higher ISO from the same distance.  Crop the lens image to the middle 5MP and downsize the MC20 image to the same pixel dimensions and compare the images.

The attached is for the MC20 with the 300mm f4, the downsized MC20 image on the left and it has better resolution and far better color on the 300mm f4.  This may or may not be true for the 40-150.

-- hide signature --

drj3

drj3's gear list:drj3's gear list
Olympus E-510 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M1 II +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads