If the Imaging side of the business was so important to the whole company

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Canon5DSmith New Member • Posts: 15
If the Imaging side of the business was so important to the whole company

why did Olympus sell it?
This was one of the main reasons people kept saying Oly would never do it.
What changed?

Canon5DSmith's gear list:Canon5DSmith's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III
gary0319
gary0319 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,019
Re: If the Imaging side of the business was so important to the whole company

Perhaps, the global economic downturn, which may have an effect on the Olympus medical equipment business, has meant a refocusing on salvaging their core businesses.

gary0319's gear list:gary0319's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +8 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,622

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

A new strategic narrative in a new market context.  Nothing in business is black and white.

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin
Please feel free to edit any images that I post

ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +26 more
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,132

The same reason Minolta sold camera division to Sony way back.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
Haider Senior Member • Posts: 1,228

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

The executives were not able to make it profitable, at some point you have to admit defeat and let someone else try. Over to JIP and their consultants. Don't be so smug Canon were 40% down in 2019 compared to 2018. At some point the management will ask the question are we carrying out our fiduciary responsibility to our shareholders by maximising ROI, may be the printer and scanners is more profitable. At the moment traditional cameras ILC are in systemic decline. GoPro, DJI, Apple and Samsung are leading the revolution in Imaging. May be the Oly executives are stuck in the old way of thinking and need new vision and leaders..

Haider's gear list:Haider's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,199

Haider wrote:

The executives were not able to make it profitable,

The funny thing about a publicly traded company, even if a division is profitable, if it is not *as* profitable as the rest of the business, shareholders can pressure for divestment if they think it will increase stock values - sometimes thinking merely of the next quarter's results. I don't know if that happened in this case, though.

Regards,

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +20 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 7,012

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

What happened was they finally decided to stop pretending.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,543
That was always ...

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

That was always always a load of dung put forth by the Oly faithful hoping the inevitable would not happen.  What ever little tech the camera division had that the other businesses need can surely be gotten on the open market.  Maybe part of the deal was that they retain whatever parts of the imaging division (at least intellectual property rights etc.) that were valuable to them.

In reality the camera division contributed very little to their other business lines.  Just a story made up by those wanting to deny reality.

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

OP Canon5DSmith New Member • Posts: 15
Re: That was always ...

jwilliams wrote:

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

That was always always a load of dung put forth by the Oly faithful hoping the inevitable would not happen. What ever little tech the camera division had that the other businesses need can surely be gotten on the open market. Maybe part of the deal was that they retain whatever parts of the imaging division (at least intellectual property rights etc.) that were valuable to them.

In reality the camera division contributed very little to their other business lines. Just a story made up by those wanting to deny reality.

What I don't understand is that Olympus has been saying this also, so it was not only those with an interest to hold that view.

It is hard to reconcile what has happened with what was being said from both the fans and the message from Olympus.

I guess the question remains, how could those parties be so wrong?

Personally I never trusted any company but this is a new low for mistrust in corporations. I do not hold any breath that Olympus will continue its commitment to MFT.

Canon5DSmith's gear list:Canon5DSmith's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L III USM Canon 70-200 F2.8L III
pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 3,503

SterlingBjorndahl wrote:

Haider wrote:

The executives were not able to make it profitable,

The funny thing about a publicly traded company, even if a division is profitable, if it is not *as* profitable as the rest of the business, shareholders can pressure for divestment if they think it will increase stock values - sometimes thinking merely of the next quarter's results. I don't know if that happened in this case, though.

Regards,

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

Olympus Imaging wasn't profitable. During the last 10 years it made a loss in excess of 100 Billion Yen. This COVID epidemic aftermath will be seen in the 2021 report next April.

2011 ... 15 Bn loss
2012 ... 11 Bn loss
2013 ... 23 Bn loss
2014 ... 9 Bn loss
2015 ... 14 Bn loss
2016 ... 2 Bn loss
2017 ... 0.1 Bn profit
2018 ... 1 Bn loss
2019 ... 18 Bn loss
2020 ... 10 Bn loss

-- hide signature --

Peter

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
SterlingBjorndahl Senior Member • Posts: 2,199

pforsell wrote:

Olympus Imaging wasn't profitable. During the last 10 years it made a loss in excess of 100 Billion Yen.

So it truly was a "vanity" part of their business lately. Ah well, they had a good run. I enjoyed the OM-2n for many years, and even had a chance to try out the original Pen-F half-frame camera in the 70's.

Thanks,

Sterling
--
Lens Grit

SterlingBjorndahl's gear list:SterlingBjorndahl's gear list
Olympus Air Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Leica D Vario-Elmar 14-150mm F3.5-5.6 Asph Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +20 more
jwilliams Veteran Member • Posts: 5,543

Canon5DSmith wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

That was always always a load of dung put forth by the Oly faithful hoping the inevitable would not happen. What ever little tech the camera division had that the other businesses need can surely be gotten on the open market. Maybe part of the deal was that they retain whatever parts of the imaging division (at least intellectual property rights etc.) that were valuable to them.

In reality the camera division contributed very little to their other business lines. Just a story made up by those wanting to deny reality.

What I don't understand is that Olympus has been saying this also, so it was not only those with an interest to hold that view.

They lied.

It is hard to reconcile what has happened with what was being said from both the fans and the message from Olympus.

They lied.

They lied.

Personally I never trusted any company but this is a new low for mistrust in corporations. I do not hold any breath that Olympus will continue its commitment to MFT.

Notice a trend?

I'm always a skeptic of whatever propaganda a company puts out when things are going badly.  In this case it one should be VERY skeptical.  I

-- hide signature --

Jonathan

FunGuy66
FunGuy66 Regular Member • Posts: 272

Those kinds of pronouncements, aimed at keeping the faithful and any potential new buyers confident in the company’s future, are not unusual. And while I haven’t checked the specifics I wouldn’t be surprised if everything Olympus has said on the matter has been qualified with weasel words like “no current plans...”, “foreseeable future” and so on.

I don’t take any company’s reassuring words about the future at face value. If anything, it’s the opposite. If a company insists a seemingly neglected product line is safe, or the company as a whole will overcome its difficulties, that’s when I start expecting trouble.

robert1955 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,964

jwilliams wrote:

Canon5DSmith wrote:

jwilliams wrote:

Canon5DSmith wrote:

why did Olympus sell it?
What changed?

They lied.

They lied.

They lied.

Notice a trend?

I'm always a skeptic of whatever propaganda a company puts out when things are going badly. In this case it one should be VERY skeptical. I

Another explanation is that those telling this story believed it, but lost the internal battle

robert1955's gear list:robert1955's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS XF 90mm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads