Will Fujifilm be next?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
BryceM
BryceM Senior Member • Posts: 1,780
Re: Not so sure...

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Fuji's numbers don't look as bad as Canon, Sony, Nikon, Oly and Panny

That's not a sentence anyone would've expected to read a few years back...

-- hide signature --

- International Man of Mystery

BryceM's gear list:BryceM's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +39 more
Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,175

BryceM wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Fuji's numbers don't look as bad as Canon, Sony, Nikon, Oly and Panny

That's not a sentence anyone would've expected to read a few years back...

But we don't know how much is because of the Instax and from most that can be determined most of the good news is because of the Instax.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears," Arabic Proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +10 more
BWJunkie Regular Member • Posts: 445
Re: Will Fujifilm be next?

KennyXYZ wrote:

Olympus reveals plans to ditch its camera business

As long as their Instax cameras sell, they'll be fine.

Tim C.

BWJunkie's gear list:BWJunkie's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +5 more
John Gellings
John Gellings Veteran Member • Posts: 7,012
Re: For whom the bell tolls

GossCTP wrote:

Nobody here has that answer, and likely few people in the companies affected do either. Samsung built argueably the best APS-C camera at the time with the NX-1 and silently walked away from the industry.

True, but they do not have the history that Fuji does in this industry.

-- hide signature --

https://www.johngellings.com
Instagram = @johngellings0 and @nycrandomjg

John Gellings's gear list:John Gellings's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +6 more
fpessolano
fpessolano Veteran Member • Posts: 3,803
I doubt it n/t
 fpessolano's gear list:fpessolano's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon Z7 Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon Z50 +2 more
Iuvenis Senior Member • Posts: 1,356
Re: No - Fuji have four big advantages

1. Their imaging division has  been profitable in all recent years, only becoming unprofitable in the last (Covid disrupted) quarter. Largely that is Instax, but it still means that they have no shareholder pressure to divest.

2. They're all-in when it comes to mirrorless. Canon and Nikon are still trying to migrate customers across from their DSLR mounts in the middle of a collapsing market, which is fraught with problems.

3. They occupy several niches, where it's hard for others to compete. For example, the enthusiast APSC market. Yes, Canon and Sony still sell more apsc cameras. However, only Fuji have a pro-level APSC system. Or the retro style niche. Olympus and Nikon dipped their toes into that, but Fuji are the only one to make it a success. Or medium format, where Fuji came from nowhere and have now cleaned up.

4. They are focused on video. Yes, it's not my main interest. However, video is one growth area within the market, and Fuji are now right up there with the best.

Iuvenis's gear list:Iuvenis's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR +4 more
R_U_Q_R_U
R_U_Q_R_U Senior Member • Posts: 1,293

BWJunkie wrote:

KennyXYZ wrote:

Tim C.

Yes, their last financial report seems to emphasize Instax sales, which were over 10 million units.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes the light's all shinin' on me,
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it's been.

R_U_Q_R_U's gear list:R_U_Q_R_U's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +10 more
CH179 Forum Member • Posts: 71

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

BWJunkie wrote:

KennyXYZ wrote:

Tim C.

Yes, their last financial report seems to emphasize Instax sales, which were over 10 million units.

before I bought my xt2 or even interest in Fuji products, I always thought that Instax is a joke/meme camera or a toy for kids. like, "come on, who will buy this gimmick ****"

Now, after I learned about this, I quietly wish people would buy more of those instax to keep the camera division lol

CH179's gear list:CH179's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus E-M5 II Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +4 more
forest dream Contributing Member • Posts: 675
Re: Yes, of course.

Maxxum Fan wrote:

mike lix wrote:

One by one they will all shut their camera businesses until we end up with no new cameras at all.

I say 3 makers will be left. I'm not sure how well or not X Mount is doing

All I know is I go out, I see a lot of people taking pics with phones, and not many if any camera users out there. Cost of good phone isn't cheap, but lot cheaper than buying into an expensive ILC system

Future isn't looking good

Not need expensive phone, cheap mid-range smartphone like Huawei P30 / iPhone SE 2020 (which cost around USD 400-500) enough to take family/travel photo. Not much different with high-end smartphone in normal use.

IMO if required better IQ, better go to entry level APS-C instead of high-end smartphone.

Some mid-range phone also has high-end smartphone speed/processor.

It is just a tool Regular Member • Posts: 280
Re: Will Fujifilm be next? No.

boogisha wrote:

KennyXYZ wrote:

Fujifilm "ditched" its camera business long time ago, so to say, searching for income elsewhere - but still, they decided to keep their photography related unit (forever?), as they seem to see it as their "core", where everything started from.

Photo business is now a (very) small amount of Fujifilm`s operations, yet they seem to put a lot of pride/emotions in it.

(there was that "Fujifilm" movie linked a while ago, how company changed its course in order to survive photography digitalization and collapse of film, it`s well worth watching)

[edit] Here it is -- "Inside The Storm S2 - EP2: How Fujifilm Survived the Digital Age"[1]

Same goes for Olympus.

I don't know about Fuji finance, but if the imaging department is making a profit on its own it should be safe.

It is just a tool's gear list:It is just a tool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more

lynnG wrote:

Unlikely. Nikon could be the next if they cannot drop their Z50 quickly. Panasonic could be in parallel to Nikon If they could not sell much of their FF bodies and continue to release the products like the latest G100. Fuji seems to be safe at the moment.

Nobody know how long the safe moment if Fuji keep increase price everytimes release new camera.

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

At least the Fuji forum should be spared this nonsense.

If it happens it happens and until it does this sort of talk undermines confidence and no amount of idle chat will change things except for the worse.

m43 was trying to service two companies and now is down to one like most other mount systems and rumours of its death are somewhat exaggerated. What tomorrow holds who knows and is best left until tomorrow.

CH179 wrote:

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

BWJunkie wrote:

KennyXYZ wrote:

Tim C.

before I bought my xt2 or even interest in Fuji products, I always thought that Instax is a joke/meme camera or a toy for kids. like, "come on, who will buy this gimmick ****"

Now, after I learned about this, I quietly wish people would buy more of those instax to keep the camera division lol

+1 High volume entry-level camera bring lot profit margin than low volume high-end camera. These entry-level camera are necessary as R&D fund for high-end camera.

It is just a tool Regular Member • Posts: 280

AllFlawed wrote:

If it happens it happens and until it does this sort of talk undermines confidence and no amount of idle chat will change things except for the worse.

m43 was trying to service two companies and now is down to one like most other mount systems and rumours of its death are somewhat exaggerated. What tomorrow holds who knows and is best left until tomorrow.

Down to one? Olympus imaging will be sold, not dismantled. Just another owner and who knows what will become of it.

MFT has many manufacturers besides Olympus and Panasonic. It's an open mount.

It is just a tool's gear list:It is just a tool's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Re: Photo Imaging is only 11% of Fujifilm Group Revenue

AaronX wrote:

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

For those who do not know, Fujifilm Group generates almost half their revenue from Medical and Healthcare technology. Another 41% is from Document Solutions. So they have many streams to keep the company going. Cameras are kind of "hobby" business.

You can download their last financials here: Integrated Reports

What would be cool is that Fuji buys Olympus IBIS technology from this new company.

If Fuji has fund, I wish Fuji buy GoPro's HyperSmooth (Best EIS) tech and put it into all camera even small like X-E3 / X-T30 / X100V since X-T4's IBIS enough good.

I also wish Fuji buy DJI Ronin's ActiveTrack (auto-tracing) algorithm for improve autofocus.

But, reality is Fuji need try survive in shrinked camera market first.

forest dream wrote:

CH179 wrote:

R_U_Q_R_U wrote:

BWJunkie wrote:

KennyXYZ wrote:

Tim C.

+1 High volume entry-level camera bring lot profit margin than low volume high-end camera. These entry-level camera are necessary as R&D fund for high-end camera.

Not instax but on entry level thoughts.

Olympus in their EM10 III with the electronic shutter shunted in to a scene mode with awful ultra warm WB and the menus looking really like work in progress gave clear indication they had hit the buffers some time ago at the bottom end and were just trying to shift to high margin. The Fuji 15-45mm is a very amenable lens but the Olympus one is Pro which was out of reach for entry level.

Fuji are still putting out very competitive entry level stuff so I see no comparison. At my level as a restricted budget Olympus user things have been broken for some time. The high end users have had a better ride and are more surprised by it all.

Threaded Senior Member • Posts: 3,279

Well anything is possible.  The numbers from Fuji’s imaging division aren’t great, and the prospects for the whole industry don’t seem too positive either.  Fuji’s business is much bigger than just imaging, but that doesn’t mean they’re likely to sink money into the photographic business without expecting a return.  An aggressive investor or two could force Fuji’s hand.

That said, any comparison with Olympus has to look at the bigger picture.  Oly’s photographic peak was arguably back in the seventies/early eighties, when Mantani was designing classics like the OM and XA series.. they lost their way during the transition to autofocus and were similarly left behind in the early days of digital.  M43 pulled things back for a while, but as a photographic business they’ve been looking pretty sickly for a long time.  Really, this is the final chapter of that story, not a parallel for Fuji.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS
Artur Darulewski Regular Member • Posts: 116

Jerry-astro wrote:

[...] The niche that crop cameras occupy offers more than a cost advantage. There is also a size advantage, which for many, way outweighs the one stop or so IQ advantage that FF offers.

That's the point.

I’m not one of those sitting on the sidelines waiting with bated breath for a FF body to drop to some arbitrary price point. It’s simply of no interest to me, now or in the future.

This phrase is a bit too long to be my signature motto, but I totally agree.

I've chosen X-mount and XF 100-400 (+TC 1.4x) deliberately as good compromise between FF IQ and m43 portability.

I'm sure that lot amateurs and pros choose m43 as an option that fits best for their needs.

Cheers,

Artur

Artur Darulewski's gear list:Artur Darulewski's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more

It is just a tool wrote:

AllFlawed wrote:

Down to one? Olympus imaging will be sold, not dismantled. Just another owner and who knows what will become of it.

Safe to assume that it has gone and be grateful if it hasn't. This new company seems highly geared with not a lot of capital to speak of. Olympus warranties were very generous and servicing them could be the ruin of a company in themselves. Will this company really repair my EM10 II for free over the next 5 years which is my special warranty and these are the sort of promises Olympus have been doling out. My other stuff is 2.5 years standard and I doubt if they have laid off these liabilities or firewalled them in any way. Would you buy them in when potential liabilities are such a substantial chunk of capital.

Interesting the transformation how one day you have a great deal giving some sort of security for 5 years and the next day you were just another sucker for that irresistible deal. I always though it was a bit fanciful so not really too hard hit by it. Possibly long warranties are a sign of distress in shifting the stuff.

MFT has many manufacturers besides Olympus and Panasonic. It's an open mount.

Not much sign of anything but Olympus and Panasonic in the the forum. Other makers are around but not much in digital still cameras which ostensibly these still are. Yi may still make competent cheap little m43 cameras but no IBIS which is what keeps m43 unique at entry level.

Bobby Supardi New Member • Posts: 12

KennyXYZ wrote:

It will only matter of time. Doesnt matter who first or second. Camera industry is a sinking ship.

Samsung make a very tough decision and i believe they make the right choice. Olympus had fight a great fight by introducing ibis etc. That's what really matter.

Fuji is on his way. By rising price and minimal improvement, they digging their own grave.

Bobby Supardi's gear list:Bobby Supardi's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads