Should I keep separate SD Cards for my mirrorless camera?

Started 11 months ago | Questions
James A Murray
James A Murray Junior Member • Posts: 45
Should I keep separate SD Cards for my mirrorless camera?

Hello, I recently bought a used Lumix G80 for video use and I was wondering if I should keep separate SD cards for it. I have a Nikon D75000 I use for photography and I've got SD cards for it however I worry that using the same SD cards could cause issues related to formatting such as corruption.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
drynn Contributing Member • Posts: 811
Re: Should I keep separate SD Cards for my mirrorless camera?

The simple answer is 'yes'.

Regardless of issues with different formatting (possibly), the sheer inconvenience of dealing with remembering which camera has the card, or even worse, being out with both cameras and having to swap, means the answer is really self-evident.

Cards are (relatively) cheap enough to have one or more cards dedicated to each camera. Spoil yourself, buy another card 

Gerry Winterbourne Forum Pro • Posts: 18,620

James A Murray wrote:

Hello, I recently bought a used Lumix G80 for video use and I was wondering if I should keep separate SD cards for it. I have a Nikon D75000 I use for photography and I've got SD cards for it however I worry that using the same SD cards could cause issues related to formatting such as corruption.

As long as you format the card every time you change camera there should be no problem. However, it is a chore and easy to forget. Much simpler to keep separate cards for each camera …

... and that applies whatever types if camera you are using. I have three Pentax DSLRs and each has its own set of cards.

-- hide signature --

Gerry

newcameraguy1 Forum Member • Posts: 75

you should, plus it shouldn't hurt to have extra SD cards. Always helpful

newcameraguy1's gear list:newcameraguy1's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S8100 Nikon D70 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,547

James A Murray wrote:

Not necessarily.  Just make sure your remember which card is formatted for each camera.  However, most cameras support the FAT/EXFAT file format so from my experience, at least with my Fuji and Nikons, is that it will just create whatever folders it needs if you put a card in the camera that was used in another camera.

Best practice is to try to keep the separated but only after you use them.  As for when they are blank, it doesn't matter.  Always format cards in the camera too for best results.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
IR1234 Senior Member • Posts: 1,810
Absolutely

It's very important that cameras only use the SD cards that have been used with them in the past. Never swap cards.

Every different camera stores the data very differently which kinda etches the SD memory into a certain way of working over time. So if you pop the card from Canon to Nikon you may well have problems.

/s

IR1234's gear list:IR1234's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 550D +12 more
Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 8,550

I’ve got 9 different cameras/bodies and each has its own card that stays with that body. Way easier than moving cards around.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +25 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,751
Re: Absolutely

IR1234 wrote:

It's very important that cameras only use the SD cards that have been used with them in the past. Never swap cards.

Every different camera stores the data very differently which kinda etches the SD memory into a certain way of working over time. So if you pop the card from Canon to Nikon you may well have problems.

I've never heard of any "etching", other than the fact that flash sectors have a limited (if large) number of formatting cycles.

If a card has been "etched" to such an extent that the failures (wearing out) are visible to "other cameras," that card isn't trustworthy to be used in the "first camera."  TIme to toss the card out and get a new one.

If you are just talking about the high-level files stored on a card, reformatting a card after you move it to a new camera takes care of that.

Darkroom Junior Member • Posts: 49

Tom_N wrote:

IR1234 wrote:

I've never heard of any "etching", other than the fact that flash sectors have a limited (if large) number of formatting cycles.

If a card has been "etched" to such an extent that the failures (wearing out) are visible to "other cameras," that card isn't trustworthy to be used in the "first camera." TIme to toss the card out and get a new one.

If you are just talking about the high-level files stored on a card, reformatting a card after you move it to a new camera takes care of that.

Don't think you noticed the /s at the end of IR1234's post

Rambow Contributing Member • Posts: 975

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

As long as you format the card every time you change camera there should be no problem. However, it is a chore and easy to forget. Much simpler to keep separate cards for each camera …

Statistically i think there is a higher chance of people formatting before they copy the files then coming here for help than having issues with using one card on separate cameras.

Besides, if a camera does require the card to be formatted it tells you so, if it doesn`t it doesn`t need to. If the camera accepts the card, the card is not malfunctioning yet the user has issues it simply means there is something wrong with the camera itself.

I do keep separate cards for each camera, but only so that i don`t mix them together and lose images etc.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
BBbuilder467 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,291

James A Murray wrote:

I've accumulated so many SD cards over the years, I can't keep track of them. As long as I format in-camera, I have no problem.

for video, you probably want a bigger, faster card than for stills. Not much reason to swap. The smaller, slower cards, I use for spares. I don't care what I use them in.

BrownieVet Senior Member • Posts: 3,629
FYI: A long and winding "useless" information

James A Murray wrote:

IMHO, either method is OK, therefore, do what you feel is best for you.

I normally don't bother formatting memory cards, just used it fresh from the factory.
While I have at least 8 SD cards of capacities from 2 gig to 64 gig, I sometime use a card on D5100, D5300, D800 and even Kodak EasyShare and Lumix P&S - - - withOUT formatting between use. A 4 gig SD accommodates couple of shots from each camera. Please read the rest before jumping to conclusion.

The camera AUTOMATICALLY create a folder for each camera when a shot is taken with that camera. My Kodak and Lumix does not give me option to display folders other than it's own. SD I used on all the above camera automatically display the pictures in the folder with of that specific camera. I have observed that Nikon D5100 defaults to displaying the photos taken with that D5100 and do not automatically display the shots taken with D5300 and D800. The inverse is true with the two other Nikons. Fortunately,
I can MANUALLY select the appropriate folder(s) to view those shots taken with the other Nikons. I can also select the Kodak and Lumix folders BUT, the photos are hidden.
When I insert that SD card into your computer CD card reader, all the folders on that cards are displayed. I could select each folder to view and display the content. I could download the entire content of the SD card, either automatically or manually, The folder and file structure are preserved. I could override the default to suite my preference.
Memory cards are relatively inexpensive.
Play it safe. Use dedicated SD card to each camera,
On the bright side, you know you can use the same SD card in a pinch and retrieve the files.
There is "quick format" that only breaks the link between the index and actual file. Quick format allows overwrite of the "un-indexed" files.
There is "safe format" which wipes clean the SD card. I use this to recovered the space taken by "hidden files".

sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,547

Rambow wrote:

Gerry Winterbourne wrote:

Statistically i think there is a higher chance of people formatting before they copy the files then coming here for help than having issues with using one card on separate cameras.

Besides, if a camera does require the card to be formatted it tells you so, if it doesn`t it doesn`t need to. If the camera accepts the card, the card is not malfunctioning yet the user has issues it simply means there is something wrong with the camera itself.

I do keep separate cards for each camera, but only so that i don`t mix them together and lose images etc.

To be honest, I have cards now that are about 8-10 years old and have been installed and used in half a dozen cameras, and have never run into a problem.  The more important thing is that you don't simply swap cards between cameras without formatting them in the camera... that can lead to problems.  But as long as you format in camera, I have never seen anyone complain that they ran into issues because they used different cards with different cameras.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black +13 more
stevo23 Forum Pro • Posts: 24,683

James A Murray wrote:

I would go with separate for each camera and even if they're the same make. I can't say I've tried using the same one across cameras however.

stevo23's gear list:stevo23's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 36,212
Easiest if you do keep them separate.

James A Murray wrote:

Only testing will tell. You certainly won't break anything, all that may happen is a warning that something isn't right with the card after doing a swap.

It's nicest and easiest to label cards and keep them apart.

Just now I tried a round robin swap of cards between some cameras and Olympus did not seem to care where a card came from, it simply adds its own folder to the card when it takes a shot, no matter what's there already.

Panasonic and Sony seem to be at odds with each other and cross-swapping between them leads to "card errors" or "image database errors" and again those cards into the Olympus have no problems - so far. But no guarantees on that as Panasonic and Sony both create a fussy set of weird folders.

I have 4 brands of cameras that may get used in the house between my wife and myself, plus others of vintage that may get used very rarely. In the past swapped between Casio and Olympus no problems.

In all cases I do keep cards and spares with the cameras and only rarely swap them around, unless I format them first in the camera to be used.

Cards are so cheap now that it is easy to have too many available.

Now with all this test swapping my cards are in a confused mess and need to get back to where they came from.....

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +10 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 15,022
Over worrying

As long as Nikon uses Fat32 (I trust so), it will be 100% OK.

G85, operates upon Fat32 file system. When a card is inserted, it will check for the required folder system ( indeed it could be very similar for most brand: DCIM/....). If nothing there, G85 will create a set by itself. On shooting, G85 will only write files onto its own folder system.

I trust most brands, including Nikon, will do the same.

As per an old thread about similar tropic, our dear friend, bcliff of Photonstophotos, should confirm that he shared SD cards among various brands, models etc on his testing without in-camera formatting every time.

I sometimes share a micro SD card, or OTG USB thumb drive between my Android phone and cameras including G85. Never face problem because of some specific files created by Android on the card...

You of course can do it for better disk management or whatsoever. But practically you do not need to do so.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please feel free to download the original image I posted here and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +10 more
Tom_N Forum Pro • Posts: 18,751
Re: Over worrying

alcelc wrote:

As long as Nikon uses Fat32 (I trust so), it will be 100% OK.

FAT32 is standard for SDHC cards.  SDXC cards use exFAT.

SD Association – Capacity

James A Murray
OP James A Murray Junior Member • Posts: 45

Thank you for the feedback!

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,836

James A Murray wrote:

It's not really necessary at all.  Just format the card in the camera as soon as you insert it (obviously you want to be sure the images have been copied).  I've shared SD cards between my Panasonic FZ-1000, Canon 80D, and Canon 7D II.

Mark

Mark B.
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 27,836

IR1234 wrote:

/s

As long as it's formatted in the camera (this should be done every time anyway, even if being used in the same camera again), it's a non-issue.  And I have to say, this "etching" sounds made up.  Do you have a reference for that?? 
Anyway, first thing I do when I pop a card into the camera is format it, no matter where it was used last.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads