Macro lens

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
amarokWPcom
amarokWPcom New Member • Posts: 11
Macro lens

Good Morning everybody,

since March 2020 I have the Nikon Z6 with the lens from the set Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm F4 S.

Now I am looking for a nice macro lens to keep on macro photography like I did in the past with my Nikon D750 and the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM.

Unfortunately, I sold the Sigma lens in the past.

Should I buy it again and use it with the adapter for my Z6 or which better lens would you probably suppose me?

Many thanks for your feedback in advance

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
BenQ SW2700PT
HP Elitebook 830 G5

amarokWPcom's gear list:amarokWPcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,325
Re: Macro lens

compatibility with FTZ for the  "standard" 90/100/105 macros:

The sigma will be fine - and inexpensive

Nikon micro 105 - costs more but at least its oem

Tamron sp90 f017 great on dslr's - wont yet work on Z6 - 19 months on still waiting for a firmware update.

Don't know about the Tokinas with the FTZ

Basically, until Nikon native Z macros appear ( if you want to go down that route ) then, compatibility aside, you have the same choices with Z6 as you had with your D750 in terms of FL, working distance, MF/AF etc eff

I also went from d750 ti z6

richard

Fazal Majid
Fazal Majid Senior Member • Posts: 2,090

The Sigma is on sale, and I’ve seen the new Tokina even cheaper at $360 one-day deal at Adorama. I got the Sigma to tide me over until there is a Z mount Micro-Nikkor, but extension rings like Viltrox’ are also an option.

-- hide signature --

Fazal Majid (www.majid.info)

Fazal Majid's gear list:Fazal Majid's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +31 more
jrscls Veteran Member • Posts: 6,407

The Tokina doesn't have a focus motor, so no AF on the FTZ adapter, and as mentioned above, the Tamron is waiting on a firmware update that may never come. That leaves the Sigma or Nikon 105 options. I went for the Nikon 105 VR and very pleased with the lens.

jrscls's gear list:jrscls's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 +2 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,062

amarokWPcom wrote:

Good Morning everybody,

since March 2020 I have the Nikon Z6 with the lens from the set Nikon Nikkor Z 24-70mm F4 S.

Now I am looking for a nice macro lens to keep on macro photography like I did in the past with my Nikon D750 and the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM.

Should I buy it again and use it with the adapter for my Z6 or which better lens would you probably suppose me?

If you do not need AF and can live with manual everything the Laowa 100mm 2x macro is a great performer at a very decent price. Comes in a Z mount variant so no need for an adapter

https://www.venuslens.net/product/laowa-100mm-f-2-8-2x-macro-apo/

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
Wittgenstein : Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent.
Feel free to tinker with any images I post

James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
Fazal Majid

jrscls wrote:

The Tokina doesn't have a focus motor, so no AF on the FTZ adapter

Huh, so it does. Remarkable for a lens released in November 2019 (in the British sense of "remarkably stupid").

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR III Leica M10 Nikon Z7 Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +31 more
Fazal Majid

James Stirling wrote:

If you do not need AF and can live with manual everything the Laowa 100mm 2x macro is a great performer at a very decent price. Comes in a Z mount variant so no need for an adapter

While in most cases macro lenses are best focused manually, losing the Z series' focus shift feature, and the ability to painlessly do focus stacking without a macro rail, would not be something I would lightly toss aside.

-- hide signature --

James Stirling

Fazal Majid wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

While in most cases macro lenses are best focused manually, losing the Z series' focus shift feature, and the ability to painlessly do focus stacking without a macro rail, would not be something I would lightly toss aside.

That is true I am mainly using my adapted Sony 90mm macro which sadly does not work with the focus stacking feature. Though It is a better lens than my 105mm VR . There is always a fly in the ointment 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:

Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
MikeDale Regular Member • Posts: 277

While I'm waiting for my 70-200 f/2.8 which promises to be pretty close focussing for butterflies for instance I'm using my 300PF with these extension tubes from B&H.

Extension Tubes for Z mount

MikeDale's gear list:MikeDale's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
James Stirling

MikeDale wrote:

While I'm waiting for my 70-200 f/2.8 which promises to be pretty close focussing for butterflies for instance I'm using my 300PF with these extension tubes from B&H.

Mike, I just got a hold of those tubes a couple of days ago they seem to be working very well so far. I don't always want to carry my full macro set-up  with me all the time , these are tiny and fit in the bottom of even my smallest bag and you have a handy option whenever you want it.

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:

MikeDale Regular Member • Posts: 277

James Stirling wrote:

MikeDale wrote:

Mike, I just got a hold of those tubes a couple of days ago they seem to be working very well so far. I don't always want to carry my full macro set-up with me all the time , these are tiny and fit in the bottom of even my smallest bag and you have a handy option whenever you want it.

Agreed. As my Monarch's have not arrived yet I've had limited use from mine but they work very well with the 300PF and the close focusing distance is just right for butterflies.

The price is right too:-)

MikeDale's gear list:MikeDale's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/15 Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Nikon 500mm F5.6E PF +6 more
James Stirling

MikeDale wrote:

James Stirling wrote:

MikeDale wrote:

Mike, I just got a hold of those tubes a couple of days ago they seem to be working very well so far. I don't always want to carry my full macro set-up with me all the time , these are tiny and fit in the bottom of even my smallest bag and you have a handy option whenever you want it.

Agreed. As my Monarch's have not arrived yet I've had limited use from mine but they work very well with the 300PF and the close focusing distance is just right for butterflies.

I have only used them on the 50mm and 24-70mm so far will try them out on some longer stuff when I get a chance.

The price is right too:-)

As a Scotsman I can't argue with that 

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:

tiwane New Member • Posts: 7

Which adapter are you using for the Sony 90mm macro? I tried the TZE-01 with a Z6 and my Sony 90mm macro and it didn't autofocus well at all. While I agree MF is often ideal for macro, I like to be able to capture flighty insects for documentation as well.

But maybe I was doing somethign wrong with the adapter?

James Stirling

tiwane wrote:

Which adapter are you using for the Sony 90mm macro? I tried the TZE-01 with a Z6 and my Sony 90mm macro and it didn't autofocus well at all. While I agree MF is often ideal for macro, I like to be able to capture flighty insects for documentation as well.

But maybe I was doing somethign wrong with the adapter?

I am using the TZE-01 on the Z7 in my case  , the AF is ok when it  works  though it on occasion for no reason I can fathom will just stop responding . Switching it on and off gets it rolling again .I don't think S-AF which is really all that works  is up to catching flying critters with the adapted macro. I think doing it the hard way setting the manual focus distance you want then move yoursef in and out to get focus is probably more successful

There seem to be odd scenarios with some combos I have the wee Samyang 35mm F/2.8 which mounts and AF but the aperture does its own thing and can't be controlled. They did say that they do not support Samyang e-mount lenses but another poster said his was working fine.

I wonder if tiny variations in the TZE-01 or lens mounts themselves are enough to screw things up . Macro lenses are not the fastest AF lenses even on their native systems . I tend to use mainly manual focus so it is not a big deal for me . As Fazal says the automatic focus shift feature is handy but not compatible with the 90mm FE though someone will probably say it is working on their adapter  Hopefully Nikon will get rolling with the Z lens roadmap once the dust settles and there is a native macro on the list

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:

mreservices Forum Member • Posts: 77

amarokWPcom wrote:

Good Morning everybody,

the Tam Now I am looking for a nice macro lens to keep on macro photography like I did in the past with my Nikon D750 and the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM.

I have a Tamron 90mm USD macro and it is an outstanding lens. However as others have said, we are still waiting on firmware. Very frustrating. I purchased a used Nikon Micro 105 2.8 VR to tide me over. It’s pretty good but I think the Tamron 90 USD is better...when I can use it. Personally I shoot a lot of flower macro and want autofocus.

mreservices's gear list:mreservices's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Tamron SP 90mm F2.8 Di VC USD Macro Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +7 more
amarokWPcom
OP amarokWPcom New Member • Posts: 11

Fazal Majid wrote:

The Sigma is on sale, and I’ve seen the new Tokina even cheaper at $360 one-day deal at Adorama. I got the Sigma to tide me over until there is a Z mount Micro-Nikkor, but extension rings like Viltrox’ are also an option.

How do they work the extension rings? I heard about but haven't check yet.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6
BenQ SW2700PT
HP Elitebook 830 G5

amarokWPcom's gear list:amarokWPcom's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F31fd Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4
rich_cx139 Senior Member • Posts: 1,325

mreservices wrote:

amarokWPcom wrote:

Good Morning everybody,

the Tam Now I am looking for a nice macro lens to keep on macro photography like I did in the past with my Nikon D750 and the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM.

I have a Tamron 90mm USD macro and it is an outstanding lens. However as others have said, we are still waiting on firmware. Very frustrating. I purchased a used Nikon Micro 105 2.8 VR to tide me over. It’s pretty good but I think the Tamron 90 USD is better...when I can use it. Personally I shoot a lot of flower macro and want autofocus.

I should also have said that in my Post

yes - the Tam f017 is superb on my D500.  The auto focus in af-c actually works to capture insects and flowers etc moving in the  breeze and so on.  The f004 was pretty good also

I was dissappointed in Tamron's dragging their feet with the f/w update and used tubes and achromats on my z6 but am now wondering why bother with macros on the z6 - the d500  ( which I do intend to part with anytime soon ) does a good enough job - at least for me

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads