Nikon EN_EL15 battery

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Fotocorn
Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187
Nikon EN_EL15 battery

I have a couple of Nikon EN-EL15 batteries which I have had for about 4 years now. The battery info life register in the menu has never moved off zero from the day that they were purchased.

Lately they seem to be giving me about 30 minutes in Live View.

Is there a method of checking battery condition. It will have to be an external method since the camera does not seem even to be registering their age.

In addition, my Nikon MH-25a charger seems dead. I have reverted to my old MH-25

Charger, but the batteries were displaying the reduce life prior to changing chargers. I am using a Nikon D500.

Fotocorn's gear list:Fotocorn's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,968
Probably asking in the wrong forum.....

but run the batteries almost completely down and recharge them a few times.  If they still don’t last long, time for new ones.  I have always seen new life indications when the batteries were shot.

Bob P.

Fotocorn
OP Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187
Re: Probably asking in the wrong forum.....

Thank you,

Finger problems, I thought I was in the Nikon D500 forum!!

Problem is that I have no idea how long they should last in Live View.

I have always been a Bird/Wild Life fan and hardly ever use Live View.

Now, having limited, mostly no,access to birding areas or wild life sanctuaries, I am trying my hand at macro. Live view has become the norm.

Panasonic LX100 Nikon D7000 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-300mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +3 more
Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 8,968

Fotocorn wrote:

Thank you,

Finger problems, I thought I was in the Nikon D500 forum!!

Problem is that I have no idea how long they should last in Live View.

I have always been a Bird/Wild Life fan and hardly ever use Live View.

Now, having limited, mostly no,access to birding areas or wild life sanctuaries, I am trying my hand at macro. Live view has become the norm.

Live View battery usage is the same as when using Video. With a new battery expect to see 60-90 minutes of Live View/Video.

Now with that said most Li-Ion batteries have a 2 year life even if they are used or not. Their capacity drops dramatically after 2-3 years.

I have 6 batteries for my D810. 2 are 4 years old. The camera indicates 0 on the life scale. I put one of those 2 batteries that was fully charged in my D810 2 weeks ago. The camera showed all battery charge bars. I haven't touched the D810 in 2 weeks, powered up the camera 2 days ago only 1 bar battery power bar left. That battery is basically done.

Bob P.

Fotocorn
OP Fotocorn Regular Member • Posts: 187

Thanks Bob

That I think answers my question.

I am expecting far too much from my batteries.

I am getting about 30 minutes in continuous Live View, I have also noticed a drop in battery charge in the un-used cameras.

Guess it's time for new batteries!

Nigel C

Craftsman70 Regular Member • Posts: 228

Now with that said most Li-Ion batteries have a 2 year life even if they are used or not. Their capacity drops dramatically after 2-3 years.

I remember when Li-ion batteries were first introduced, that was a common understanding - used or not, dead after 2 - 3 years.

But I don't believe that's true anymore. I have 2 EN-EL15 batteries dating back to my D7000 (2010), 1 EN-EL15 battery dating back to my D610 (2012), and 1 EN-EL15 battery dating back to a recently acquired D7200 (2017 according to the date code on the battery). Each of them charge to the same level of charge using the following charger from Aliexpress that actually counts the amount mAH charged into the battery - https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000145243530.html.  All of them charge to a little over 1700 mAH to 1750 mAH or so.  Considering that the batteries are rated for 1900 mAH and the batteries were only discharged until the camera would not turn back on and operate but still had enough power to show the battery indicator, I would say that it's pretty darn good for 10-year-old batteries.

As for holding a charge, I've left the batteries sitting on the shelf for a week or two after I charged them and they are still showing 100%.

Craftsman70's gear list:Craftsman70's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D7200 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads