G9 Affinity alignment example

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
Trevor Carpenter
Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,093
G9 Affinity alignment example

I don't know if this is of any interest but it was to me. The pictures below of a common spotted orchid which sprung up on my lawn. Well not exactly sprung; the whole plant of which this is the top half was about and inch and a half/35mm high. Normal plants in their usual woodland/meadow settings are up to 10 times that size.

To photograph it with the Oly 60mm meant lying flat on the ground and unusually hand holding or steadying while I produced a 20 image focus bracketing selection. Not surprisingly I made a bit of a mess of keeping steady The first 6 pictures are samples to show the variation, the stack actually used 12 of the 20 original shots. . Not expecting much I ran it through Affinity and was staggered at how well the alignment was achieved. Picture 7 is the resultant stack. Many people may expect alignment like this but it was my first experience with such a variation on the source material. I'm not posting as a great picture , only to show how well the alignment was managed but it's not a bad shot.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Ken Yull
Ken Yull Senior Member • Posts: 2,344
Re: G9 Affinity alignment example

Well it would be a keeper if was mine. Did you only take one batch Trevor, I use focus bracketing or post focus, and would normally for a still subject take at least one set of each option. In the six posted I would try just #1, #2, #3, and #6, if they are the only ones that line up within the same tolerance.

But as I say the result you have is pretty darned good considering how much movement there seems between shots. Definitely worth the trouble taking.

-- hide signature --

Cheers. Ken.

Ken Yull's gear list:Ken Yull's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W1 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic G90 +2 more
IanYorke Veteran Member • Posts: 4,001

Trevor Carpenter wrote:

I don't know if this is of any interest but it was to me. The pictures below of a common spotted orchid which sprung up on my lawn. Well not exactly sprung; the whole plant of which this is the top half was about and inch and a half/35mm high. Normal plants in their usual woodland/meadow settings are up to 10 times that size.

To photograph it with the Oly 60mm meant lying flat on the ground and unusually hand holding or steadying while I produced a 20 image focus bracketing selection. Not surprisingly I made a bit of a mess of keeping steady The first 6 pictures are samples to show the variation, the stack actually used 12 of the 20 original shots. . Not expecting much I ran it through Affinity and was staggered at how well the alignment was achieved. Picture 7 is the resultant stack. Many people may expect alignment like this but it was my first experience with such a variation on the source material. I'm not posting as a great picture , only to show how well the alignment was managed but it's not a bad shot.

I had a similar experience when I was just playing about with focus stacking. Took a sequence of some flowers, just bent over and rattled off a burst. Flicking through the photos showed large movements but Affinity Photo did a remarkable job.

Considering the cost of dedicated apps for focus stacking AP is a no brainer at its modest cost for pixel editing, panos, HDR and focus stacking even without the recent 50% off.

Ian

Trevor Carpenter
OP Trevor Carpenter Forum Pro • Posts: 17,093

Ken Yull wrote:

Well it would be a keeper if was mine. Did you only take one batch Trevor, I use focus bracketing or post focus, and would normally for a still subject take at least one set of each option. In the six posted I would try just #1, #2, #3, and #6, if they are the only ones that line up within the same tolerance.

But as I say the result you have is pretty darned good considering how much movement there seems between shots. Definitely worth the trouble taking.

I've given up on post focusing for stacking, not that it is bad but just that I have found focus bracketing much better.  I still occasionally use post focus for subjects where I can see that focus might be iffy and just take the best one.  This flower is actually an example of where I might use it but focus bracketing and affinity stacking definitely seems the best of a number of options.

-- hide signature --

Recent and not so recent pictures here https://trevorc28a.wixsite.com/trevspics

Trevor Carpenter's gear list:Trevor Carpenter's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads