Lens to add for newborn photography?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,252
Lens to add for newborn photography?

We have a baby on the way for end October and I'm thinking whether I want to add anything to the lenses I already have.

The two lenses I'm most likely to use are the Sony 55 1.8 and the Batis 85 1.8. I may also use a Voigtlander 50 1.2 (when he's not moving, at least, I'm not fast enough with MF for a moving baby). Clearly, I don't really NEED anything else to take great pics...

But...there's a cashback offer on the Samyang 85 1.4 that's intriguing and the lens would give me even more separation, and then I've heard great things about the Batis 40 for baby photography...or should I go the other way and think of taking the plunge on a 135 1.8?

I'll certainly have the opportunity to use them!

jaggedhorizon's gear list:jaggedhorizon's gear list
Sony a7R III
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Senior Member • Posts: 2,704
Re: Lens to add for newborn photography?

Check out this site to see some nice newborn photography with many of the lenses you mentioned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96461835@N07/with/49850537306/

Roger, the photographer, hosts a weekly "post your photos" thread here on the Sony forum.

Personally, some of my favorites that he shot of his most recent newborn, were taken with the Sigma Art 40mm f1.4 lens, but he does a great job with just about any lens he uses.

By the way, congratulations on the new addition to your family.  It's always fun to have a new model to work with : )

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 2,074

jaggedhorizon wrote:

We have a baby on the way for end October.

Congratulations Cedric!

I have no guidance on the candidate lenses, as I've not used any of them, but I wanted to congratulate you on your good news

LarryRC Contributing Member • Posts: 714

Lan wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Congratulations Cedric!

I have no guidance on the candidate lenses, as I've not used any of them, but I wanted to congratulate you on your good news

Congratulations!  You also win the annual best reason to get a new lens (ABRTGANL for short) award.  Enjoy.

LarryRC's gear list:LarryRC's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III Sony FE 600mm F4
sportyaccordy Forum Pro • Posts: 17,445

I don't shoot Sony but my 2nd was just born Thursday.... I mainly used my 35, though I kind of want an 85 for outdoor shooting. I have a 70-200 2.8 to use for now

But I think something in the 35-50 range is good for general mostly indoor stuff.

-- hide signature --

Sometimes I take pictures with my gear- https://www.flickr.com/photos/41601371@N00/

sportyaccordy's gear list:sportyaccordy's gear list
Canon EOS R Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM
mo_shaw Forum Member • Posts: 62

A little pricey but I highly recommend the Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens

Congrats on the new member of family.

mo_shaw's gear list:mo_shaw's gear list
Nikon D40X Nikon D200 Nikon D300S Nikon D610 Sony a6000 +23 more
CreOn
CreOn Junior Member • Posts: 35

Congratulations. I'm almost in the same position, but than I'm gonna be grandfather for the first time. I follow this thread as I also was thinking to buy a lens for newborn photography.
Thought that maybe the Sony 24mm 1.4 GM is a good choice. I already have the 24-70 2.8 GM so the only thing that is different is the aperture. But maybe that's a good reason to go for that lens and use it for that purpose. I hope there will be more input from others on this question.
Thanks, have a nice day.

CreOn's gear list:CreOn's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
tyke32 Regular Member • Posts: 253

I would have thought something like the  Sony FE 24-105mm f4 G would be a boon for the coverage and the amazing quality it puts out. I love this lens and have this week TWO new additions to my partners family that's great grandkids.

tyke32's gear list:tyke32's gear list
Sony a7 II
CreOn
CreOn Junior Member • Posts: 35

Congratulations. Indeed that picture looks very nice.
Think I'm gonna give the 24-70 2.8 GM a try first. If I think another lens can do better I can always look for something else.
Thanks.

CreOn's gear list:CreOn's gear list
Sony a9 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +1 more
olstrup Veteran Member • Posts: 3,929

I have a grandchild who is now 9 moths old. Normally a user of MF primes, I gave in a couple of moths ago and got a Tamron 28-70. There were too many "almost there but not quite in focus" shots with the MF lenses. The zooming allows for moves from or towards me and the eye AF takes care of focusing and is very accurate. But for pure rendering and clarity, I still prefer my 40 years old Leica M lenses.

-- hide signature --

"Sharpness is a bourgeois concept." (Henri Cartier-Bresson)

Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,320

Remember that pointing a bazooka at your baby will be intimidating. Have that in mind.

I would personally use a 1.4 or 1.8 aperture lens at home (either 35mm 1.8 or 55mm 1.8 depending on preferences), and then maybe a telephoto prime (like the 85mm 1.8 or the samyang 75mm 1.8).

If you have a big lens, believe me, you will be leaving them at home. Its easy for a granparent to recomend the tamron 28-75 f2.8, or the 135mm 1.8, or other big and weighty primes, but remember, you are the one carrying a baby bag and probably the pram / stroller, so either you have a small lens that fits in the baby bag or its going to stay home.

Also indoors its unlikely to use a 135mm focal length.

https://www.instagram.com/rui_porfirio/

Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
noggin2k1
noggin2k1 Senior Member • Posts: 2,582

Either the Batis 40 or extension tubes for the 55 or 85.

You don't need "full" macro, but for me, you need something with better capability to capture those tiny little fingers and toes.

noggin2k1's gear list:noggin2k1's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a7 III Sony a9 II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +5 more
JpGomez Regular Member • Posts: 496

jaggedhorizon wrote:

We have a baby on the way for end October and I'm thinking whether I want to add anything to the lenses I already have.

The two lenses I'm most likely to use are the Sony 55 1.8 and the Batis 85 1.8. I may also use a Voigtlander 50 1.2 (when he's not moving, at least, I'm not fast enough with MF for a moving baby). Clearly, I don't really NEED anything else to take great pics...

But...there's a cashback offer on the Samyang 85 1.4 that's intriguing and the lens would give me even more separation, and then I've heard great things about the Batis 40 for baby photography...or should I go the other way and think of taking the plunge on a 135 1.8?

I'll certainly have the opportunity to use them!

Your 55 and 85 is already very capable for newborn. I shot just the 55 with my son from infant to about 2 yr old and later added few lenses.

What was lacking for detail shots was a lens that can close focus, the 35/1.8 has very short minimum focus distance. It has been pretty solid since owning it.

-- hide signature --

The best gear is the one you have at that moment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/jpgomez/

JpGomez's gear list:JpGomez's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 35mm F1.8 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE
alpshiker Contributing Member • Posts: 544

jaggedhorizon wrote:

This is mostly anecdotal, but my favourite newborn pictures, alone or in his mum's arms, were taken with my main lens at the time which was a Nikkor H-C 50mm f2 at full aperture. Then when my kids started to run, I got a Nikkor 135 f3.5 (could not afford the 2.8) and again, I like those pictures taken on chromes like no others. Later the 80-200 f2.8 ED replaced my other main lens: the Vivitar 70-210, with an AF camera, with great results but I had the muscles to hold it.

Today I mostly use the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 and the EF 135 f2.0 for kids photography playing in their environment. For pure portraiture, if they are calm and posing, I take sometimes the 85mm f1.2 out of the closet, but the f1.8 is a very nice lens too and much easier to focus, especially if you have two sets of eyes in the picture. But to get more specifically to your question, I find that 50mm gives a nice perspective to newborn close-ups.

alpshiker's gear list:alpshiker's gear list
Sony a7R II
OP jaggedhorizon Senior Member • Posts: 2,252

Derek Dean wrote:

Check out this site to see some nice newborn photography with many of the lenses you mentioned.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/96461835@N07/with/49850537306/

Roger, the photographer, hosts a weekly "post your photos" thread here on the Sony forum.

Personally, some of my favorites that he shot of his most recent newborn, were taken with the Sigma Art 40mm f1.4 lens, but he does a great job with just about any lens he uses.

By the way, congratulations on the new addition to your family. It's always fun to have a new model to work with : )

First of all, sorry for the very late reply and thank you for the congrats!

That site is great but it isn't helping at all controlling my G.A.S. when I see lots of good pics taken with an 85 1.4, 35 1.4, 40 1.4 and even 105 1.4!!

Sony a7R III

Lan wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Congratulations Cedric!

Many thanks and apologies for the late reply!

Sony a7R III

LarryRC wrote:

Lan wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

Congratulations Cedric!

Congratulations! You also win the annual best reason to get a new lens (ABRTGANL for short) award. Enjoy.

Thank you!  The trouble is that I now want more lenses:-)

Sony a7R III

alpshiker wrote:

jaggedhorizon wrote:

This is mostly anecdotal, but my favourite newborn pictures, alone or in his mum's arms, were taken with my main lens at the time which was a Nikkor H-C 50mm f2 at full aperture. Then when my kids started to run, I got a Nikkor 135 f3.5 (could not afford the 2.8) and again, I like those pictures taken on chromes like no others. Later the 80-200 f2.8 ED replaced my other main lens: the Vivitar 70-210, with an AF camera, with great results but I had the muscles to hold it.

Today I mostly use the Canon EF 50mm f1.4 and the EF 135 f2.0 for kids photography playing in their environment. For pure portraiture, if they are calm and posing, I take sometimes the 85mm f1.2 out of the closet, but the f1.8 is a very nice lens too and much easier to focus, especially if you have two sets of eyes in the picture. But to get more specifically to your question, I find that 50mm gives a nice perspective to newborn close-ups.

This is very useful, many thanks!

I had a Sigma DG EX 50 1.4 that I sold...someone else here suggested the Sony Zeiss 50 1.4. A friend who is a Sony ambassador has one, perhaps I can borrow it and see if I can use that and skip the 35 1.4 and 85 1.4.

Sony a7R III
fieldray Regular Member • Posts: 106

For our grandchildren I have mainly been using the 55mm f1.8, 35mm f1.8, 90mm F2.8 in addition to the 24-70 GM.  And sometimes the 135 F1.8 for intimate portraits from a distance.  I have the 85mm GM but for the young kids I like the 90mm as I can crop in closer.

fieldray's gear list:fieldray's gear list
Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Sony a7R IV +9 more
alpshiker Contributing Member • Posts: 544

jaggedhorizon wrote:

This is very useful, many thanks!

I had a Sigma DG EX 50 1.4 that I sold...someone else here suggested the Sony Zeiss 50 1.4. A friend who is a Sony ambassador has one, perhaps I can borrow it and see if I can use that and skip the 35 1.4 and 85 1.4. w

Thanks, you're welcome. The Sigma you mention has a focus ring seize problem on many samples, you probably did well, selling it. It is better corrected for vignetting than the Canon sibling and therefore more suitable for filming, but otherwise no better. The Sony 1.8 is probably very nice, but generally speaking, f1.4 is a touch more creamy.

alpshiker's gear list:alpshiker's gear list
Sony a7R II
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads