Olympus Capture

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
Olympus Capture

I have just loaded Olympus Capture and as usual with Olympus software I find it just infuriating. Why is using their software never intuitive. I have the Oly M1i and the M1ii. So I connect the M1i, and I see the image from the camera on the computer screen. I look for the zoom button [Oly 12-40 not on manual focus] but I cannot find it. I look for the shutter button. Can't find that either. I go onto the internet and I find an Olympus instructional video. No help at all. And no, I have not read a manual for Olympus Capture because I don't have one. And yet I am someone who thinks Olympus camera menus are excellent and not at all confusing.

Rant over. Help please.

Ken C

Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,092
Re: Olympus Capture

I think the zoom button only works on lenses that can be power zoomed such as the the old 12-50 kit zoom.

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
OP Ken Croft Senior Member • Posts: 1,736
Re: Olympus Capture :ONEOFONE25 please help.

Digital Dick wrote:

I think the zoom button only works on lenses that can be power zoomed such as the the old 12-50 kit zoom.

Dick

Of course. What an idiot I am, I should have thought of that.

But I still cannot find the button on Olympus capture to actually take an image.

Oneofone25, it was your amazing macros that set me off looking at Olympus Capture. So please, where is the picture taking button in Olympus capture? There is a button like the video button. Is that it or is there another button somewhere?

[I thought you were one-o-fone25 but maybe you are one-of-one25. But then as you can see, I am easily confused.]

Ken C

Digital Dick Senior Member • Posts: 2,092

The big oval button at the bottom right corner of the Olympus Capture window is the shutter button (just to the right of the video button).

Dick

Digital Dick's gear list:Digital Dick's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M5 II
agott123
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,243

Ken Croft wrote:

Digital Dick wrote:

Dick

Of course. What an idiot I am, I should have thought of that.

But I still cannot find the button on Olympus capture to actually take an image.

There is a button like the video button. Is that it or is there another button somewhere?

Ken C

-- hide signature --

My Street Photography on Instagram @alexgottfriedbonder

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +20 more

Many thanks but now another question. When I installed Olympus Capture I had the option to set the screen resolution so I set it to what I thought was the highest setting. Images on my computer screen in Capture Live View are just not sharp at all. There is no way that I could adjust focus by looking at the computer screen so I must have done something wrong. I cannot see how to get back to the place that lets me set the screen resolution used by Capture. And when I click on Capture's "help" Windows 10 returns a message that a file cannot be found. What a pain these Oly software people are, luckily Olympus employ them because no chance anyone else would.

-- hide signature --

Ken C

BobT3218 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

I too find Capture infuriatingly unintuitive.  Perhaps I'm spoilt by LR or perhaps it's designed for an Asian mindset.  I've been trying to get off LR for years.  With every new permutation of Oly's editing software my hopes are raised then dashed.  Frankly I'd be happy to forego the PP power of LR if I could find something that would seamlessly accept LR's file and keyword structure.  That is critically important to me and Capture does not even come close.

BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-450 +7 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,716

Ken Croft wrote:

I have just loaded Olympus Capture and as usual with Olympus software I find it just infuriating. Why is using their software never intuitive. I have the Oly M1i and the M1ii. So I connect the M1i, and I see the image from the camera on the computer screen. I look for the zoom button [Oly 12-40 not on manual focus] but I cannot find it.

Olympus Capture can't control the zoom of lenses. Most lenses are manual zoom and the camera, and therefore Capture, has no way of moving the zoom position. A few lenses have power zoom and the camera can control the zoom position but Olympus Capture lacks any controls/buttons to activate this functionality. The Olympus smartphone apps can control power zooms so there is no fundamental reason why Capture can't.

I look for the shutter button. Can't find that either.

As others have said the large oval button at the bottom of Capture's control panel is the shutter button. The smaller left half is "half press" and the larger right  half is "full press".

On the computer keyboard "spacebar" toggles "half press" on and off and "enter" key activates "full press".

I go onto the internet and I find an Olympus instructional video. No help at all. And no, I have not read a manual for Olympus Capture because I don't have one. And yet I am someone who thinks Olympus camera menus are excellent and not at all confusing.

The controls on the camera are still functional when it is connected via Capture, and any changes made on the camera are displayed in Capture's control panel, and vice versa.

You have to use the camera to change between PASM modes as Capture can't do this. I suspect this is a design choice by the programmers. The PASM dial can't be phyically turned by Capture and would be out of sync if changes were made electronically by Capture. Leaving the camera's PASM dial as the only way to change modes keeps the  camera and Capture synchronised.

Whilst many settings can be controlled by Capture some things have to be changed using the "menu" button on the back of the camera. This is similar to the way you would use the SCP and the "menu" button, when using your camera untethered.

Focus modes are selected by the "AF select"button at the bottom of Capture's live view screen. If you are using a single, or small group of focus points, you can drag them about the live view screen using your mouse.

The magnify button at the bottom right of Capture's live view screen allows you to check critical focus. After you have used the magnify function the AF select button changes to the "Magnify frame" option and you need to switch back to one of the other AF target options to reactivate mouse control of the focus position.

If you switch to MF then the chevron buttons at the bottom of Capture's control panel can be used to adjust the focus. The amont of drive movement caused by each chevron can be adjusted by the stacked line/hamburger button to the right of the >>> button.

On my system the on screen live view image is crystal clear and allows very accurate focus control. I don't recall selecting any  particular display option when installing the programme, but it was a while ago.

If you haven't already done so, it is worth checking you have the latest version of Capture. Use "Menu>Help>UpdateSoftware".

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

BobT3218 wrote:

I too find Capture infuriatingly unintuitive. Perhaps I'm spoilt by LR or perhaps it's designed for an Asian mindset. I've been trying to get off LR for years. With every new permutation of Oly's editing software my hopes are raised then dashed. Frankly I'd be happy to forego the PP power of LR if I could find something that would seamlessly accept LR's file and keyword structure. That is critically important to me and Capture does not even come close.

Are you confusing "Olympus Capture" with "Capture One Pro"?

The former in a basic tethering programme from Olympus for the E-M5ii and all the versions of E-M1. The latter is a raw development programme from Phase One. They are completely different beasts.

"Capture One Pro" has "capture " in its name as it started out as a tethering programme but has now developed into a sophisticated, if not very intuitive, raw development programme.

I got Capture one Pro 2020 for free with my E-m1iii but had to wait until a few weeks ago for the E-m1ii to be supported.

I am still coming to grips with it. First impressions is that it is a good raw developer let down by its poor image organisational, cataloguing and keywording abilities.

Since my version of Lighroom (LR6) doesn't support the E-M1iii I will persisit with Capture One Pro until I find something better.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

agott123
agott123 Senior Member • Posts: 2,243

Ken Croft wrote:

Many thanks but now another question. When I installed Olympus Capture I had the option to set the screen resolution so I set it to what I thought was the highest setting. Images on my computer screen in Capture Live View are just not sharp at all. There is no way that I could adjust focus by looking at the computer screen so I must have done something wrong. I cannot see how to get back to the place that lets me set the screen resolution used by Capture. And when I click on Capture's "help" Windows 10 returns a message that a file cannot be found. What a pain these Oly software people are, luckily Olympus employ them because no chance anyone else would.

Clik on LiveView and set resolution

-- hide signature --

My Street Photography on Instagram @alexgottfriedbonder

agott123's gear list:agott123's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-P2 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 +20 more

Yes, thanks for that. I already found it. I think I have just been having a bad day.

At the finest setting the image on the screen is not even remotely like the beautifully crisp image I see of the actual image once taken and saved on the computer. The liveview image is just soft and not nice at all. There is no way I could use it for critical focussing.

My interest in Olympus capture is because of the way I do focus stacking, and it might just be a bit easier working on a computer screen. I am a model engineer and when I take photos of my work I want all parts in focus. My items are small and can easily be fitted in the hand. I use the touch screen on the Oly M1ii and I tap on each part of the item that I want in focus and take a series of images which I then combine in Zerene Stacker. I just thought that it  would be simpler on a pc screen because I can move to each nearest focus point using the mouse rather than prodding and hoping with a finger on the camera screen. But so far live view in Oly Capture is so unsatisfying that I don't think I will bother.

I have uninstalled the program and reinstalled it in case something had gone wrong, but the only change is that I now have the help system working

Ken C

Terrible Photographer
Terrible Photographer Contributing Member • Posts: 603

Ken Croft wrote:

I have just loaded Olympus Capture and as usual with Olympus software I find it just infuriating. Why is using their software never intuitive. I have the Oly M1i and the M1ii. So I connect the M1i, and I see the image from the camera on the computer screen. I look for the zoom button [Oly 12-40 not on manual focus] but I cannot find it. I look for the shutter button. Can't find that either. I go onto the internet and I find an Olympus instructional video. No help at all. And no, I have not read a manual for Olympus Capture because I don't have one. And yet I am someone who thinks Olympus camera menus are excellent and not at all confusing.

Rant over. Help please.

Ken C

This is funny, as someone who has tons of experience with EOS Utility, LR Tether, and Capture One, I think Olympus Capture is absolutely brilliant in its capability and ease of use.

Unlike LR and C1, it always "just works" wether shooting wirelessly or spiked in with a cable

Unlike EOS Utility, you can change virtually everything on the camera from the computer.

It's fantastic!

Terrible Photographer's gear list:Terrible Photographer's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
BobT3218 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

Peter 1745 wrote:

BobT3218 wrote:

I too find Capture infuriatingly unintuitive. Perhaps I'm spoilt by LR or perhaps it's designed for an Asian mindset. I've been trying to get off LR for years. With every new permutation of Oly's editing software my hopes are raised then dashed. Frankly I'd be happy to forego the PP power of LR if I could find something that would seamlessly accept LR's file and keyword structure. That is critically important to me and Capture does not even come close.

Are you confusing "Olympus Capture" with "Capture One Pro"?

The former in a basic tethering programme from Olympus for the E-M5ii and all the versions of E-M1. The latter is a raw development programme from Phase One. They are completely different beasts.

"Capture One Pro" has "capture " in its name as it started out as a tethering programme but has now developed into a sophisticated, if not very intuitive, raw development programme.

I got Capture one Pro 2020 for free with my E-m1iii but had to wait until a few weeks ago for the E-m1ii to be supported.

I am still coming to grips with it. First impressions is that it is a good raw developer let down by its poor image organisational, cataloguing and keywording abilities.

Since my version of Lighroom (LR6) doesn't support the E-M1iii I will persisit with Capture One Pro until I find something better.

Sorry! My bad. I hate it when I don't read carefully.

Incidentally, I too am still on LR6 but with the E-M1.0. Hoping to upgrade soon so will have to upgrade PP software as well.

BobT3218's gear list:BobT3218's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus E-450 +7 more

Terrible Photographer wrote:

Ken Croft wrote:

Rant over. Help please.

Ken C

This is funny, as someone who has tons of experience with EOS Utility, LR Tether, and Capture One, I think Olympus Capture is absolutely brilliant in its capability and ease of use.

Unlike LR and C1, it always "just works" wether shooting wirelessly or spiked in with a cable

Unlike EOS Utility, you can change virtually everything on the camera from the computer.

It's fantastic!

I would no doubt get to like it too if I could get the image on Live View to look as good as the taken image. But it is just nothing like it. Tell me how to get Live View looking at the very least acceptable.

I am using the cable that came with the camera and maybe I should try Wifi in the slim chance that the cable is the problem. If anyone can be enthusiastic about Olympus Capture then I must be doing something wrong.
Ken C

Terrible Photographer

Ken Croft wrote:

Terrible Photographer wrote:

Ken Croft wrote:

Rant over. Help please.

Ken C

It's fantastic!

I would no doubt get to like it too if I could get the image on Live View to look as good as the taken image. But it is just nothing like it. Tell me how to get Live View looking at the very least acceptable.

I am using the cable that came with the camera and maybe I should try Wifi in the slim chance that the cable is the problem. If anyone can be enthusiastic about Olympus Capture then I must be doing something wrong.
Ken C

The Live View feed will always be pixelated, no matter what software/camera combination you use for tethering.

Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +15 more

And yet "Peter 1745" says that on live view his images are "crystal clear".

All I would like is for the image on live view to be the same as the image taken by the camera, but it simply is nothing like it for clarity contrast or sharpness.

Ken C

Terrible Photographer

Ken Croft wrote:

All I would like is for the image on live view to be the same as the image taken by the camera, but it simply is nothing like it for clarity contrast or sharpness.

Ken C

Yeah that'll never happen.

Ken Croft wrote:

Ken C

If you like I can post a screenshot of the live view image so you can judge if my 'crystal clear' is good enough for you.

If you do, what lens/subject/distance do you require?

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Many thanks Peter. Oly M1 mki or mkii with Oly 12-40 at 12" to 18" distance and a couple of stops from fully open. A combination image of the live view alongside the actual image taken. I will do this and if you do the same we can compare results. As a subject I will just use a camera top plate showing dials and buttons.

Ken C

The image below is comprised of 2 separate images. The top image is a screen shot taken from Live View on Olympus capture and the bottom image is the actual picture taken and saved to the computer, but resized to match the screenshot size. The screenshot is what I see in Live View on Olympus Capture and I do not like it at all.

The screen shot image is not sharp but the downsized actual image is sharp.

The actual image is sharp the screenshot from Live View is not.

Ken C

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads