Nicest camera to use

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Steven Seven
Steven Seven Regular Member • Posts: 362
Cliche opinion

I'll go with a cliche here: Leica M7, even though I don't own one (found a great deal on M6). But here's why:

• It does not make any annoying sounds.
  • There are no LCDs
  • It has the perfect amount of dials and buttons
  • You can have a nose when using one
  • Lasting feeling of quality
  • Weight/dimensions are about perfect
  • AE mode means focusing+framing, I love concentrating on just these two. (the only thing I wish my M6 had)
  • Film rewind lever
  • There's something about Leicas that makes you feel like 1-2 lenses is enough. SLRs tend to trigger LAS attacks.
davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,450
Re: Nicest camera to use

That's interesting as I did a similar thing and sold then bought again a Canon G12. It's a great little camera with great ergonomics.

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon Coolpix A +26 more
elmo Senior Member • Posts: 2,864

farmersteve wrote:

For me it's some of the late model Canon autofocus cameras like the Elan 7 or EOS 3. Everything is laid out just like modern DSLRs.

How about a late-model manual focus Canon, the T90? My first love is the F-1N, which I shot with just today. But, I shot the T90 (a later acquisition) last week. The T90, as the forebear of the modern DSLRs, feels just right. While the F-1N is a better "system" SLR, the T90 is lighter, has built-in winder that's 4.5 or 5 FPS, and is really a joy to use.

I also do like the EOS 3!

elmo's gear list:elmo's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1 Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 3,981
Canon FTb and Nikon F2as

Tough choice - My Canon FTb was the simpleist and easiest to use.  My Nikon F2as was a joy to use.

MFL

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR +29 more
citizenlouie Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

Swordman wrote:

Hey guys,

What, in your opinion, is your all time favourite camera in terms of how nice it is to use? No concessions to image quality, doesn't matter if it's film or digital, just nice to use.

For me, it's got to be the Pentax K1000 or Bronica SQ-A. The Pentax just feels so good and efficient to use, the Bronica is just an experience with a big waist level finder and thunderclap mirror slap.

So, what's yours?

Digital: Olympus E-620.  But E-M5 MK II might be close.

Film: Olympus OM-4T.

Both cameras share one strength, I can shoot my photos without thinking about the camera.  It's intuitive and extension of my body.  Fuss free and low maintenance.

Those are my favorite cameras.  Not necessarily technically best cameras nor necessarily the cameras I use the most (which would be Olympus E-M5 MK II), but they're favorites for reasons way too long to explain (I wrote them but deleted them because I don't think anybody wants to read a book about them...).

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +18 more
OP Swordman Contributing Member • Posts: 692

citizenlouie wrote:

Swordman wrote:

Hey guys,

What, in your opinion, is your all time favourite camera in terms of how nice it is to use? No concessions to image quality, doesn't matter if it's film or digital, just nice to use.

For me, it's got to be the Pentax K1000 or Bronica SQ-A. The Pentax just feels so good and efficient to use, the Bronica is just an experience with a big waist level finder and thunderclap mirror slap.

So, what's yours?

Digital: Olympus E-620. But E-M5 MK II might be close.

Film: Olympus OM-4T.

Both cameras share one strength, I can shoot my photos without thinking about the camera. It's intuitive and extension of my body. Fuss free and low maintenance.

Those are my favorite cameras. Not necessarily technically best cameras nor necessarily the cameras I use the most (which would be Olympus E-M5 MK II), but they're favorites for reasons way too long to explain (I wrote them but deleted them because I don't think anybody wants to read a book about them...).

I'm sure we would all love to read that book!

Also, thanks folks for all the replies!

citizenlouie Senior Member • Posts: 1,166

Swordman wrote:

I'm sure we would all love to read that book!

Also, thanks folks for all the replies!

NP.

Well, it's mostly about small things like button placement and backlit buttons and stuff I care about very much.  E-620 is also about the system which I don't need to carry a lot of lenses and everything works together like one unity from material used, to filter size and share equipments, so photographers aren't slowed down due to those technical nuisances.  I want to look through VF, not at the camera.  I want to think about my subject, not my camera.  I want to be able to shoot blind, not fumbling to find "where is that button?"  When I change lenses, I don't want to think about "where is that 62mm lens cap, this lens uses 67mm."  If every lens uses the same filter thread, I could just swap caps and start shooting already.  "This green filter is 62mm, oh, I forgot 67mm green filter is at home."  It's very aggravating to have those moments, then you realize the quality of light has changed while you're trying to resolve stupid issues.

BTW, I picked my systems based on lenses, not camera bodies.  I bought E-620 because I knew I wanted 50-200mm f/2.8-3.5 SWD (and I can't tolerate the plastic used on Canon Rebel.  It's very cheap and not hypoallergenic).  When I bought OM-4T, I already chose the lenses in the 55mm filter thread line up.  35mm f/2 and 50mm f/2 can share lens hood.  Zeiss lenses from Contax Yashica system actually have step up rings, so lens hood can be shared among lenses of different filter threads.  I thought that was ingenuous.  My book has tons of fine prints....  LOL

citizenlouie's gear list:citizenlouie's gear list
Olympus E-620 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R +18 more
JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,248

Reminded me of the little small-sensor PAS Canon Ixus 800 IS - the first "decent" PAS I had, including IS and great build and varied  control modes, effectively more than point-and-shoot. I gave it away when I got the rx100 and still miss it.

The better PAS cameras allowed me to continue the 35mm film habit uninterrupted without breaking the bank.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +2 more
farmersteve
farmersteve Contributing Member • Posts: 985

No text.

farmersteve's gear list:farmersteve's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS RP Canon Pixma Pro-100 Canon Pixma Pro-10 +2 more
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 797

Film, Leica M, have owned Leica M2s and M3s just fits in my hand, small compact.

Film 2, Canon F1N almost as smooth as the Leica much better for macro work.

Film 3, Rollei Wide, super sharp 55 Zeiss Distagon on a twin lens, wonderful.

Have used film since 1965 so a lot of options. Nikon F3 and FM could be on this too.

Digital: Leica CL versitile have used 11mm - 400mm lenses on it with very nice results. You also get to play with all sorts of old lenses.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Nikon D300 Leica CL Leica M8 7artisans 55mm F1.4 Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Tomm111 Contributing Member • Posts: 797

alex_virt wrote:

Canon Powershot G10 that I bought again recently. It's a beautifully made little camera with all the controls in right places. The image quality, if processed with new raw converters, is much better than it was 12 years ago.

I used a G15 for a kayaking camera for several years after I soaked my Nikon D200 in a salt water bog. It was a nice camera to use, controls were simple.

Tomm111's gear list:Tomm111's gear list
Nikon D300 Leica CL Leica M8 7artisans 55mm F1.4 Leica Summicron-T 23mm f/2 ASPH +12 more
Sabud Contributing Member • Posts: 631

Digital: Fujifilm X-T1

Film: Nikon F3HP, the film advance is like `butter´;)

CortoPA
CortoPA Forum Member • Posts: 67
Re: Canon FTb and Nikon F2as

Michael Firstlight wrote:

Tough choice - My Canon FTb was the simpleist and easiest to use. My Nikon F2as was a joy to use.

MFL

+1

FT/FTb's are great. maybe a bit clunky ergonomically (bricks) but otherwise fun

Deardorff Senior Member • Posts: 1,587

Two for me.

One from shooting news and magazine work: Nikon F3 with motor drive.

One for personal use, chromes for magazines: 5x7 Deardorff - at the time with a 4x5 back. A close second for me is a Linhof Master Technika in 4x5.

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,274

The Pentax 67 is certainly the nicest camera to use. It brings the most joy. It is the most fun.

It is light, quiet and pocketable. Low cost , high image quality  and great DOF plane  from the wide variety of Pentax SMC lenses. Built like a 35mm camera on steroids  with a solid wood grip for that retro vibe.

67, The golden ratio.  I can't think of any camera I would rather hang out over the spillway of the Hoover Dam and shoot straight down ,  handheld. Easy peasy.

When you just want to shoot something simple  no other camera is more organic in operation. The difference between a G Shock and a Big Pilot.

-- hide signature --

dw

tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,336

DenWil wrote:

The Pentax 67 is certainly the nicest camera to use. It brings the most joy. It is the most fun.

It is light, quiet and pocketable.

Sorry what? Great camera, but the Pentax 67 is heavy, loud and definitely not pocketable.

Photobygms
Photobygms Regular Member • Posts: 138

Trevor Sowers wrote:

EOS 1V .....I just find it doesn't get in my way and the metering is excellent

Would agree if I owned the 1V. But I'll go for the Eos 3 right now, we use a couple 3's and 1N's.  But the Eos 3 is our favorite

-- hide signature --

.....Of course I'm out of my mind. It's dark and scary in there
Mostly analog at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/photobygms
Digital and some analog at: https://www.instagram.com/photobygms/

Photobygms's gear list:Photobygms's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Canon 6D Mark II Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS Rebel T6s Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +35 more
matteroner
matteroner Contributing Member • Posts: 722

Film. Canon A-1 .  Simple, full auto mode works great in most situations.

Digital . GFX 50r it just works fantastic. Easy to set up.  Film simulations are really good and very accurate.

But if I need to run and gun nothing beats my Canon 6d.

matteroner's gear list:matteroner's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 400D Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM +13 more
alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

DenWil wrote:

It is light, quiet and pocketable. Low cost

LOL

Trevor Sowers
Trevor Sowers Senior Member • Posts: 1,150

tassienick wrote:

DenWil wrote:

It is light, quiet and pocketable.

Sorry what? Great camera, but the Pentax 67 is heavy, loud and definitely not pocketable.

I think you missed the sarcasm

-- hide signature --

www.TrevorSowersPhotography.com

Trevor Sowers's gear list:Trevor Sowers's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads