Nicest camera to use

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Swordman Contributing Member • Posts: 692
Nicest camera to use

Hey guys,

What, in your opinion, is your all time favourite camera in terms of how nice it is to use? No concessions to image quality, doesn't matter if it's film or digital, just nice to use.

For me, it's got to be the Pentax K1000 or Bronica SQ-A. The Pentax just feels so good and efficient to use, the Bronica is just an experience with a big waist level finder and thunderclap mirror slap.

So, what's yours?

Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 938
Re: Nicest camera to use

Digital - Nikon D200, everything just in the right place

Film - Nikon F3 (apart from flash, which is a bit limited)

JohnnyLuddite Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

Swordman wrote:

Hey guys,

What, in your opinion, is your all time favourite camera in terms of how nice it is to use? No concessions to image quality, doesn't matter if it's film or digital, just nice to use.

For me, it's got to be the Pentax K1000 or Bronica SQ-A. The Pentax just feels so good and efficient to use, the Bronica is just an experience with a big waist level finder and thunderclap mirror slap.

So, what's yours?

Nice question, I'll join in the mode by voting for three cameras:

Zeiss Ikon Ikoflex 2 TLR with 120 FP4 - just loved the waist-level viewer

Nikon F601, still going strong after 30 years, good with AF and manual and metering excellent. With added bonus kerchunk from the film advance (also loved by my son).

Strangely, the Agfa Optima Flash, which was a little zone-focussing 35mm with good quality 40mm lens. As a street camera with stunningly good battery life which could work without batteries, it was great on holidays in strange places, particularly where I'd have felt way out of place with a more expensive camera.

I'm haven't included my recent D750, in part because it's fantastic but also, in common with most recent technology, has a lot of settings, which work wonderfully to make great results, but need more attention to get the results you want. I'm trying to think how to cleanly transition between the technician mode and really seeing the scene without that distraction. Obviously, some of the older film cameras necessarily have that merit of simplicity.

JohnnyLuddite's gear list:JohnnyLuddite's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D +2 more
Trevor Sowers
Trevor Sowers Senior Member • Posts: 1,158

EOS 1V  .....I just find it doesn't get in my way and the metering is excellent

-- hide signature --

www.TrevorSowersPhotography.com

Trevor Sowers's gear list:Trevor Sowers's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel SL2 Canon EF 24mm f/1.4L II USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM +17 more
eggyolk Contributing Member • Posts: 609

Ricoh 35 ZF

Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 775

Analog: Contax RTS III

Digital: Nikon D3X

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,098

Film: Olympus OM-1

Digital: Fujifilm XT-1

Aoi Usagi's gear list:Aoi Usagi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S200EXR Sony Alpha NEX-6 Fujifilm X-A10 Fujifilm X-T1 Canon EOS 70D +2 more
silverspoon
silverspoon Regular Member • Posts: 364

The original Canon F-1. A very robust build, smooth operating and minimalistic designed camera, and I always enjoy the solid sound of the mechanical shutter.

tassienick Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

Swordman wrote:

So, what's yours?

1. Pentax SV

2. Leica M2

3. Minolta Autocord

jjcha Regular Member • Posts: 192

Great thread idea.

My humble suggestion - the Epson R-D1.

https://www.reidreviews.com/examples/r-d1.html

It really is a film like experience, without the hassle of film.

It's a digital rangefinder that requires you to wind the shutter every time you shoot.

It also has a limited buffer, so you can only rapid shoot 3 shots before you have to wait a few seconds for it to clear. So you slow down a little bit, not entirely unlike only having 36 shots a roll. I might shoot a film camera two or three shots in rapid succession, but then stop so as to not "waste film" (it's all wasted anyway....)

It's also got a good but old sensor, which just reminds me of shooting with film -- e.g., ISO800 is pretty clean for color, you can push past that for nice but grainy black and whites. 6 megapixels is enough to give you more clean detail than 35mm film, though obviously doesn't have those special film characteristics.

Full classic manual controls, dials, no need to use the LCD.  I started with this camera, and it was so easy to transition to other manual cameras, such as a Leica M, Nikon FE, etc.

I truly regret selling it. It's hard to justify from a performance standpoint. But the experience, for digital, was superlative.

Overrank Contributing Member • Posts: 938

jjcha wrote:

Great thread idea.

My humble suggestion - the Epson R-D1.

https://www.reidreviews.com/examples/r-d1.html

It really is a film like experience, without the hassle of film.

It's a digital rangefinder that requires you to wind the shutter every time you shoot.

It also has a limited buffer, so you can only rapid shoot 3 shots before you have to wait a few seconds for it to clear. So you slow down a little bit, not entirely unlike only having 36 shots a roll. I might shoot a film camera two or three shots in rapid succession, but then stop so as to not "waste film" (it's all wasted anyway....)

It's also got a good but old sensor, which just reminds me of shooting with film -- e.g., ISO800 is pretty clean for color, you can push past that for nice but grainy black and whites. 6 megapixels is enough to give you more clean detail than 35mm film, though obviously doesn't have those special film characteristics.

Full classic manual controls, dials, no need to use the LCD. I started with this camera, and it was so easy to transition to other manual cameras, such as a Leica M, Nikon FE, etc.

I truly regret selling it. It's hard to justify from a performance standpoint. But the experience, for digital, was superlative.

A new R-D1 was what some people were expecting with the Yashica Y35, hence the disappointment

CortoPA
CortoPA Forum Member • Posts: 67

Sometimes the easiest to use is the nicest to use so a Olympus Infinity Stylus?

Almost all of the best selling SLR's are nice enough to use, probably why they sold well.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 26,945

Petri Racer.

A standard fixed-lens rangefinder like dozens of others, but with a well placed and smooth-acting shutter release which made it very comfortable to use. The lever for focus is good too.

(The prize for worst shutter release goes to the Zenith SLR.)

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
arthur01 Regular Member • Posts: 135

No text.

arthur01's gear list:arthur01's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Pentax *ist D Canon EOS 700D Nikon D60 Nikon D70s +4 more
arthur01 Regular Member • Posts: 135

arthur01 wrote:

The pentax Mzs is right up there and a few other pentaxes.I used to love using my Yashica Minister D rangefinder a beautiful camera with a unique learning dial built into it where you can see the various combination of shutter speed and aperture at a glance. It can show you the correct exposure for the different combinations with the ISO being constant.The meter was a useful thing also. A great camera for a beginner which I was when I bought it.It was the first 35mm camera I bought before then graduating to slr's.

arthur01's gear list:arthur01's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Pentax *ist D Canon EOS 700D Nikon D60 Nikon D70s +4 more
farmersteve
farmersteve Contributing Member • Posts: 985

For me it's some of the late model Canon autofocus cameras like the Elan 7 or EOS 3. Everything is laid out just like modern DSLRs.

For old school metal SLRs the Canon A-1 is the best to nicest to use. I also like the Pentax ME Super. So small and huge viewfinder. Stop down metering.

Really the nicest to use is my holgas. Nothing to worry about (except light leaks). Just load it with film and start shooting. Metering? forget it. Focusing? Who needs it!

farmersteve's gear list:farmersteve's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS RP Canon Pixma Pro-100 Canon Pixma Pro-10 +2 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,140
Nikon F5

Love the soft think of the shutter.  Love how the ergonomics just become an extension of my hand.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
davesurrey Senior Member • Posts: 1,454

It may not be the "easiest" camera to use but I love using my Bronica ETRSi system.

davesurrey's gear list:davesurrey's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS60 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot SX260 HS Nikon Coolpix A +26 more
SLN001
SLN001 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,730

I doubt that many here will agree with me, but hey, it is a personal opinion, and it all depends on the interpretation of "nice".

A recent acquisition has impressed me far more than I ever expected when I decided, out of the blue, to purchase one. The reason that I nominate it for this category is that it is the most fun to use of all the SLR cameras I have owned.

My candidate is the original Konica Auto-Reflex.

First off, this camera is built like a tank, literally. If you shoot with it frequently and carry it along for a full day you will end up feeling like a Heavy Equipment Transporter yourself.

This was the first of the Konica SLR bodies to have automatic metering (the first AR mount camera able to use the EE and AE Hexanon lenses) and the meter is on the front of the camera, it is not TTL. It is, however, reliable and accurate.

It has the unique ability to switch from full-frame to half-frame and back, anywhere on the roll, at any time.

The viewfinder is quite bright and easy to use.

Taking this monster out for a hike and just shooting photos is, really, fun.

Hexanon 1.7/50, Astrum Foto 100, full-frame.

Hexanon 1.8/40, Astrum Foto 100, half-frame.

Vivitar 2.8/135, Astrum Foto 100, full-frame.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Just an Armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

SLN001's gear list:SLN001's gear list
Sony a7 II Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 +2 more
alex_virt Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

Canon Powershot G10 that I bought again recently. It's a beautifully made little camera with all the controls in right places. The image quality, if processed with new raw converters, is much better than it was 12 years ago.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads