What is your favorite cinematography? (movie/tv/etc.)

Started Jun 18, 2020 | Discussions
saltydogstudios
saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
What is your favorite cinematography? (movie/tv/etc.)

We all watch movies, television shows and video shorts. ("motion pictures" for short)

Cinematography can be hugely influential on photography (and vice versa). Many of the same skills and tools are involved in each.

What motion pictures have influenced you? Are there specific directors or cinematographers you follow because of their aesthetics?

How has cinematography affected your photography? Or has it had no influence?

-- hide signature --

"Wait let me comb my hair and put on a tie."
Blog: http://sodium.nyc/blog/
Sometimes I take photos: https://www.instagram.com/sodiumstudio/

saltydogstudios's gear list:saltydogstudios's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro +13 more
digigobler Regular Member • Posts: 130
Re: What is your favorite cinematography? (movie/tv/etc.)

Out of Africa. A stunning visual experience for me. Music not bad either...

Steve

digigobler's gear list:digigobler's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR
gloaming Veteran Member • Posts: 4,446
Any Kubrick Film

n/t

MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,650
Agreed.

Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, and Sofia Coppola also have, IMHO, quite notable cinematography in most of their films. I think many of the Monk episodes have a few spectacularly shot scenes.

Kubrick is on another level altogether. Even stills from his movies are spectacular all by themselves.

The framing of almost all shots I take are influenced by Kubrick, either intentionally or not. These are mostly concert shots in dive bars... but it works.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
robgendreau Veteran Member • Posts: 9,118

Anything by Jack Cardiff.

Say The Red Shoes or Black Narcissus.

Recently Rachel Morrison for Mudbound. And Alfonso Cuarón for Roma.

You're right about cinematography influencing stills. It's ahead of many still photographers (especially here, which skews old). Because of its reach and popularity it drives changes. Consider anamorphic lenses; used in it seems every other film or series now. It can become faddish, but still. Great stuff.

pforsell
pforsell Veteran Member • Posts: 4,209

Haven't really watched any since I was a teen in 1990's. Perhaps The Match Factory Girl or Kieslowski's "color" trilogy.

-- hide signature --

Peter

pforsell's gear list:pforsell's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D2X Nikon D3X Nikon D3S Nikon D4S +25 more
Unagi Shiruba Regular Member • Posts: 237

“Days of Heaven”

”2001: A Space Odyssey”

”Barry Lyndon”

”Paths of Glory”

”Dunkirk”

”Citizen Kane”

”The Third Man”

”Jules Et Jim”

”Wings of Desire” (the Wim Wenders original, not the Hollywood remake)

”Ran”

“The Seven Samurai”

“The Wild Bunch”

”Finding Nemo”

”No Country for Old Men”

”There Will Be Blood”

”The American Friend”

”Alien”

”Gravity”

“Le Mans”

“Grapes of Wrath”

“The Godfather”

”One From The Heart”

”koyannatsqi”

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 56,673

saltydogstudios wrote:

We all watch movies, television shows and video shorts. ("motion pictures" for short)

Cinematography can be hugely influential on photography (and vice versa). Many of the same skills and tools are involved in each.

What motion pictures have influenced you?

None.

Are there specific directors or cinematographers you follow because of their aesthetics?

No.

None.

I've only ever seen one movie where the cinematography really contributed in a positive way to the movie (First Knight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTR4xGmpTzo).

However, many of the IMAX documentaries have been hugely impressive to me, and in some cases, influential.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM Canon Extender EF 2x III +10 more
saltydogstudios
OP saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,401
Stanley Kubrick's Photography

MediaArchivist wrote:

Orson Welles, Alfred Hitchcock, and Sofia Coppola also have, IMHO, quite notable cinematography in most of their films. I think many of the Monk episodes have a few spectacularly shot scenes.

Kubrick is on another level altogether. Even stills from his movies are spectacular all by themselves.

The framing of almost all shots I take are influenced by Kubrick, either intentionally or not. These are mostly concert shots in dive bars... but it works.

Have you seen the book "Through a Different Lens" ? Kubrick's photography before he became a famous director.

https://www.skirball.org/exhibitions/through-different-lens-stanley-kubrick-photographs

-- hide signature --

Ricoh GR Digital Sigma DP2s Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp3 Quattro +13 more
saltydogstudios
OP saltydogstudios Senior Member • Posts: 2,401

robgendreau wrote:

Anything by Jack Cardiff.

Say The Red Shoes or Black Narcissus.

Recently Rachel Morrison for Mudbound. And Alfonso Cuarón for Roma.

You're right about cinematography influencing stills. It's ahead of many still photographers (especially here, which skews old). Because of its reach and popularity it drives changes. Consider anamorphic lenses; used in it seems every other film or series now. It can become faddish, but still. Great stuff.

I try to see if I can identify an "anamorphic look" - beyond oval bokeh.

Near as I can tell it's that the focal length is the focal length that you're used to, but the sides are impossibly wide for that focal length.

It's rare I notice it - the subject has to be fairly close to the camera, but basically the central portion of the image looks like - oh that's 50mm - but the sides seem to go on wider than they should.

It's different from just wide + crop because the central portion of the image looks "right" for that focal length, whereas a crop will just look longer/like a crop.

But I spend a lot of time thinking about focal length so either I'm overly sensitive to this, or I'm just telling myself that I can see it. It's very subtle and I get it wrong just about as often as I get it right.

-- hide signature --

MOD Biggs23 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,488

Shocking to me that no one has yet mentioned Baraka.

-- hide signature --

Any opinions I express are my own and do not represent DPReview. I'm just a regular poster unless explicitly stated otherwise in the body of the post.
https://500px.com/biggs23

Biggs23's gear list:Biggs23's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D5 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +10 more
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Veteran Member • Posts: 5,650
Re: Stanley Kubrick's Photography

saltydogstudios wrote:

Have you seen the book "Through a Different Lens" ? Kubrick's photography before he became a famous director.

https://www.skirball.org/exhibitions/through-different-lens-stanley-kubrick-photographs

I have! I also enjoy some of his photography after he became a famous director:

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma APO Macro 180mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sony Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA SSM +25 more
thomaslux
thomaslux Regular Member • Posts: 344

Emmanuel Lubezki / Alfonso Cuarón for Children of Men. That was a film where the cinematography was notable - particularly the beautiful movement of the long takes.

John Toll / Terrence Malick for The Thin Red Line. Malick is always impressive, but I think this film is very powerfully shot. I love hearing about how he'd start a scene in the midday sun and then finish it a month later during sunset for a specific effect.

For colours, I think the best colour palette I've seen on screen lately has been in the series Mindhunter.

thomaslux's gear list:thomaslux's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,837

The Third Man by Carol Reed with screen play by Graham Greene

Black and White at its best.

Here is a traile r

a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 11,542

You can find Jonathan Meades' travelogues on t'interweb.  Google Meads Shrine.  There are moments of exquisite photography which would translate to still imaging well.  Mind you most BBC documentary stuff is good.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
C Sean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,213

I contributed in a similar thread not long ago so instead of repeating myself, I want to add some additional. I’m not going to bother looking up names but I know some of Japan classics use a lot of wide angle lenses. Yes Parasite is South Koran but that film follow a similar style. If you haven’t seen it I would recommend the film not as an Oscar winning comedy but the directing is very good.

There is another Asian film I saw and I need to be careful here. It’s a horror film made in 1999 and kept appearing on the best horror film lists. So I decided to give it a go to see what the fuss about and in the end I kept restraining myself from turning the tv off. After the movie was over I too had the urge to watch children cartoons.

The directing and cinematography were very good and helps make the final scenes just plain awful. I post the trailer below but because the ending is unsettling it not a film I would tell random people on a forum to watch.

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 51,872

saltydogstudios wrote:

The opening scene of "The Sound of Music was impressive so maybe that one. I think it inspired me to become a mountain hiker.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fH2FOn1V5g

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 51,872

The best horror film I ever saw was the original Alien. It was scary right from the eerie beginning shots of the Nostromos to the end. H.R. Giger's artwork was creepy as hell. None of the sequels came close. As for the film you referenced, I don't really care for torture films and will not watch it.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
TRIODEROB
TRIODEROB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,553

C Sean wrote:

I contributed in a similar thread not long ago so instead of repeating myself, I want to add some additional. I’m not going to bother looking up names but I know some of Japan classics use a lot of wide angle lenses. Yes Parasite is South Koran but that film follow a similar style. If you haven’t seen it I would recommend the film not as an Oscar winning comedy but the directing is very good.

There is another Asian film I saw and I need to be careful here. It’s a horror film made in 1999 and kept appearing on the best horror film lists. So I decided to give it a go to see what the fuss about and in the end I kept restraining myself from turning the tv off. After the movie was over I too had the urge to watch children cartoons.

The directing and cinematography were very good and helps make the final scenes just plain awful. I post the trailer below but because the ending is unsettling it not a film I would tell random people on a forum to watch.

I am a huge horror fan ..... this is the only movie that I have ever seen that was too much for me .... unbelievably disturbing

warning : if anyone decides to watch this movie based on this thread be sure NOT to let any kids watch it - even with parental supervision  - it is way too much for them to deal with

tex Veteran Member • Posts: 8,658
There's a bunch

"The Third Man", Cocteau's films, "The Oxbow Incident", Kubrik films, "Failsafe", "The Bedford Incident", "Red River", David Lean films, especially "Great Expectations" and "Lawrence of Arabia", "Apocalypse Now", Renoir films, Frankenheimer's earlier work, "Wings of Desire",  some Preminger films, Gaspar Noe films...

I could go on for a while....

-- hide signature --

tex_andrews, Andrews Fine Arts LLC, co-founder and webmaster of The LightZone Project, an all-volunteer group providing the free and open source LightZone photo editing software.
"Photography is the product of complete alienation" Marcel Proust
"I would like to see photography make people despise painting until something else will make photography unbearable." Marcel Duchamp

tex's gear list:tex's gear list
Pentax 645Z Pentax K-1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited Pentax smc FA 77mm 1.8 Limited +30 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads