When does exposure metering occur?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Bernie3 Regular Member • Posts: 167
When does exposure metering occur?

When AE-L with AF locked is off (KP menu C1 item 6), does exposure metering occur when the shutter button is pressed?

I ask this because the exposure appears in the viewfinder when press bbf and it appears again when the shutter button is pressed.

thanks, Bernie

Bernie3's gear list:Bernie3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,568
Re: When does exposure metering occur?

Metering occurs at the point of half press and stays active for the duration you've set it to stay active for in the custom menu (Meter operation time) It likely also stays active so long as the shutter button is half pressed so even if the meter operation time is set to something like 1 second but you half press for 5 seconds it should still be actively metering for the whole time you half press.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

OP Bernie3 Regular Member • Posts: 167

Hi Mike

Before I press the shutter button I press the back button focus. When I press the back button focus an exposure appears in the viewfinder. Is this the exposure that will be used for the shot? Later when I press the shutter button an exposure appears in the viewfinder. Is this the exposure that will be used for the shot? Are the two displayed exposures the same?

thanks, Bernie

Bernie3's gear list:Bernie3's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Pentax KP Pentax smc DA* 300mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc D-FA 100mm F2.8 Macro WR Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +4 more
MightyMike Forum Pro • Posts: 40,568

Bernie3 wrote:

Hi Mike

Before I press the shutter button I press the back button focus. When I press the back button focus an exposure appears in the viewfinder. Is this the exposure that will be used for the shot? Later when I press the shutter button an exposure appears in the viewfinder. Is this the exposure that will be used for the shot? Are the two displayed exposures the same?

thanks, Bernie

I would expect back button focus to be no different than half press for those who don't use back button focus. So as soon as its turned on the meter will constantly update until the shutter is pressed for the actual photo. Its at that point where the exposure is set in stone assuming you aren't in manual mode or using exposure lock.

-- hide signature --

Mike from Canada
"I am not a great photographer! God is a great creator! All I do is capture His creation with the tools He has provided me."
'I like to think so far outside the box that it would require a telephoto lens just to see the box!' ~ 'My Quote :)'
http://www.michaelfastphotography.com/galleries/VP-BDI_3a.jpg
http://www.airliners.net/user/SpeEedy/profile/photos?sortBy=photoFavoriteCount

Sweets
Sweets Contributing Member • Posts: 709

Bernie3 wrote:

Hi Mike

thanks, Bernie

As far as i know, the shutter button with auto-focus enabled is the same function as the back-auto-focus button for focusing and measuring exposure. If one let the shutter button establish exposure than that's the exposure ones get, i think. On my K1 i disabled the auto-focus on the shutter button and only use the b-a-b button if i want autofocus.

Unless one uses the AE-L button; than the exposure is locked.

Hope this is correct and helps...

-- hide signature --

rgrds. Henk (K-1+DBG6 & -01, GF2+14042X & LBA).

Sweets's gear list:Sweets's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Pentax K-01 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads