they say that Sony Alpha owners are the most loyal of all ..... Locked

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
This thread is locked.
Mike Fewster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,933
Oh, right, I thought the OP just couldn't spell.

SQLGuy wrote:

Michael Jardine wrote:

Which rumor?

Not rumor. Rumer. Maybe this guy: https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/David_Rumer/224027

Thanks for the heads up. My bad.

David Rumer of course has been a by word for Sony know how for decades.

-- hide signature --

Mike Fewster
Adelaide Australia

Mike Fewster's gear list:Mike Fewster's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Jeff Style Contributing Member • Posts: 806
Re: they say that Sony Alpha owners are the most loyal of all .....

LOL!!! False. I don't read these Sony forums and get that impression AT ALL. I'd say Canon users were the most loyal, followed by Fuji and Nikon. And I don't just mean from these forums.

I shot Canon for years but when Sony was able to offer me more of what I wanted, I switched. I'm still completely at a loss for why Sony hasn't gone full functioning touchscreen, put a proper 3x2 screen on the A6xxx bodies, or other things they take so long to improve with hardware/body/ergonomics concerns, but it gets the job done for me. I was more loyal to Samsung than Canon or Sony but once they shuttered the doors, I had to let go...well, of my NX1, 16-50S, and 50-150S. The NX300 and 3 other lenses stayed.

3rd party lenses are what have me investing in E more than what Sony does, LOL.

Most Sony users on this board seem to understand that Sony isn't for everyone. Someone (can't remember the poster) said that Sony wasn't for beginners. And it made sense to me. Sony cameras can seem much more complicated than a Canon or Nikon if you are picking each one up cold. Someone with experience will have less issue and appreciate the features packed in more. Sony seems to be figuring that out though and the ZV1 is there proof of concept project...yet STILL lacks a full touchscreen :/

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Samsung NX300 Sony a7 III Sony a6500 Sony a6400 Samsung NX 12-24mm F4-5.6 ED +12 more
PWPhotography Forum Pro • Posts: 10,750

SQLGuy wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

Rumer has it that Sony has the most loyal of owners among the major brands

true or falsehood ?

Clearly false, since we can see the owners of other brands, like Fuji, who actively campaign across fora to show how loyal they are.

+1.  True Sony owners enjoy their cameras and no time to cross forums to launch some missions.

How loyal can Sony owners be if they're not going to proselytize?

PWPhotography's gear list:PWPhotography's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Sony a9 Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +18 more
LenRivers Senior Member • Posts: 2,520

My personal opinion is this:

I am not loyal to any brand.  I start with the result I need and it leads me where it leads me.

I will say when I was a film shooter I did shoot Nikon over the major others.  Canon, Minolta,

I started with digital and my first was from memory

Nikon CP 4500  about the year 2001

Canon S50

Canon G7

Canon G12

I think LX-5 or 7 I forget  from Panasonic

Nikon D90  various lenses and stuff

Micro 4/3's Panasonic

Fuji X20 p&s

Fuji XE1, XT-1, X100 S (all at various times)

Sony A6500  Not my favorite glad to sell it The camera the LCD you cant see in daylight and the battery was not good (life) sold it in less then 4 months I think

Fuji XH-1 for maybe 3 months first camera I had that had lock up issues and soured me a bit to Fuji, I could not harp on this and had to go to a DSLR solution as I was doing lots of events/ corporate, non profit etc... SO Nikon

Nikon D750, D850, Fuji X100 F.   The Fuji here was my side kick , but sold that just not good in lower light.  Like a camera to take to family events.

Sony A7 iii still have going on 2 years.  It was a rough start

Leica Q2 just got

I have Olympus TG series for waterproof needs, great camera in this class. TG-5 I think it is,

This is why I have way too many camera bags tooo....

Adam Palmer Contributing Member • Posts: 616

I'll go to whatever brand has the highest DR, megapixels and high ISO performance. (within my price range.)  That's what brought me to sony.

-- hide signature --
 Adam Palmer's gear list:Adam Palmer's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7 III Sony FE 28mm F2 Tokina AT-X 10-17mm f/3.5-4.5 DX Fish-eye +10 more
splashy
splashy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,553

Because in the end it might only be Sony who really survives, with this in the back of your head it's not logical to switch to another brand where sales are even worse then Sony's.

Sony camera technology is some years ahead of others and has many usable lenses for the models.

BUT once there was at least one Sony tv and many walkman's in every household now almost nowhere, things can change fast.

splashy's gear list:splashy's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 Sony 20mm F1.8G +1 more
PAntunes Contributing Member • Posts: 632

False. Most sony users are new users to the brand. Mostly photographers that had other brands and changed. If they were "loyal" to brands, they wouldn't have changed in the first place. 
What I think happens is that sony users are happy users. I've met a few photographers that had the same idea and really didn't like sony. Then they tried it and suddenly they're the ones recommending it to everyone. A happy costumer is much more likely to recommend a brand.

Bob Janes
Bob Janes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,927
Who is this Rumer guy?

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

I don't think people can be categorized by their camera brand or shoe size..

-- hide signature --

Save a life, become a stem-cell donor.
Hello to Jason Isaacs!
https://bobjanes.smugmug.com/PoTB/
Please respect a BY-NC-ND cc licence on all my public internet images

Bob Janes's gear list:Bob Janes's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II +3 more
merkator Forum Member • Posts: 83

I love Nikon more, but use Sony, because Nikon was too late with the mirrorless cameras.

Sure Nikon Z6 is a nice camera I would buy it, but Sony's FE lens selection is almost unbeatable, including all these third-party lenses.

merkator's gear list:merkator's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6 +3 more
daveco2
daveco2 Contributing Member • Posts: 931

Why does someone feel loyalty, dedication, love for an object?

Because it gives them what they want, and then some, well beyond their needs, beyond their dreams, draws them into new dimensions of experience, of fulfillment.

That’s what an A7Riii can do.

daveco2's gear list:daveco2's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
Michael Jardine
Michael Jardine Senior Member • Posts: 1,933
Re: Which rumors are these?

SQLGuy wrote:

Michael Jardine wrote:

Which rumor?

Not rumor. Rumer. Maybe this guy: https://www.metal-archives.com/artists/David_Rumer/224027

As long as it's not a rumour.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Michael Jardine's gear list:Michael Jardine's gear list
Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a7R III +9 more
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,961

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

How would any of us have the data to provide this answer beyond anecdotal opinion?

You asked for true or falsehood, which, to me, requires a burden of collective proof.

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,318

SQLGuy wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

Clearly false, since we can see the owners of other brands, like Fuji, who actively campaign across fora to show how loyal they are.

How loyal can Sony owners be if they're not going to proselytize?

My hunch is that Sony owners might just possibly be too busy taking photographs.

Such nonsense.

Loyalty comes from dollars invested in your current system. If Canon launched a slightly better camera next week would I sell many thousands of dollars worth of gear and suddenly jump to change systems? (Thereby also throwing off my technique for potentially weeks until I get familiar with the new equipment).

Of course not.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 Sony a7R Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM +13 more
Aberaeron Veteran Member • Posts: 8,109

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

I'm not loyal to any brand. Only loyal to my family, friends, cats and dogs. Why be loyal to any particular large corporation that doesn't know you and couldn't really care two hoots about you and is only after your repeat business in order to increase its own profits?

Aberaeron's gear list:Aberaeron's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Sony a7 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 II +23 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,233
Same all around

I find “Brand loyalists” from every brand.  They preach to other brand users.  Some claim they don’t, but they will just venture to the comments sections of reviews instead.  Being that I use gear from Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Minolta, Pentax, Shen Hao, Linhof, Mamiya, Sinar,  voigtlander, and others....claims that I am a brand boy fall on deaf ears.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
Pixel Pooper Veteran Member • Posts: 3,520

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

Most Sony users switched from Canon or Nikon so I would say they are the least loyal. Those who stuck with Canon through everything are more loyal, but the most loyal are probably the 7 people who still use Pentax.

joger
joger Veteran Member • Posts: 6,304

Pixel Pooper wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

Most Sony users switched from Canon or Nikon so I would say they are the least loyal. Those who stuck with Canon through everything are more loyal, but the most loyal are probably the 7 people who still use Pentax.

I know two of them and yes - they are very loyal

-- hide signature --

“The horizon of many people is a circle with zero radius which they call their point of view.” Albert Einstein
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." Douglas Adams

joger's gear list:joger's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +10 more
The Davinator
The Davinator Forum Pro • Posts: 24,233

Pixel Pooper wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

So true...many of those Canon users who switched were rabid in their loyalty.  Dynamic range and resolution didn’t matter...until they eventually became educated...lol.

The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon EOS D30 Nikon D2X Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 10D Fujifilm GFX 50R +16 more
SQLGuy Veteran Member • Posts: 9,655

Pixel Pooper wrote:

TRIODEROB wrote:

true or falsehood ?

Them, and the folks over on the A mount forum. And, yes, in that case, many of them are Sony Alpha owners... but some of them are Konica/Minolta loyalists.

-- hide signature --

A7R2 with SEL2470Z and a number of adapted lenses (Canon FD, Minolta AF, Canon EF, Leica, Nikon...); A7R converted to IR.

SQLGuy's gear list:SQLGuy's gear list
Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot S100 (2000) Nikon D200 NEX-5T Sony a7R II +24 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads