Ultra-light and easy to use

Started 3 months ago | User reviews
J_o_e_l
J_o_e_l Forum Member • Posts: 57
Ultra-light and easy to use

I'll skip the emotional nonsense and just do a Pro/Con to cut to the chase...all my opinion, with lots of experience with Nikon:

Pros

• Ultra light and small, with lens attached it still easily fits in my wife's purse
  • Super easy to understand and use, turn it on and go!
  • Can be charged via USB, even from one of those portable USB power bricks
  • Wifi/BTLE works pretty good through your cellphone...makes posting online quick
  • Color accuracy/hue/temp/consistency is pretty good, set it to Auto and forget it
  • Auto focus is really smart, does a great job finding and keeping faces in focus
  • POPUP FLASH!!!!! YES!!!!! I CAN ACTUALLY FILL SHADOWS WITH LIGHT NOW!!!
  • Flip under screen for selfies is embarrassingly useful, you can perfectly frame a shot and everyone in the photo see's how they look at the same time - perfect!
  • Uses SD Cards!
  • 16-55 is the perfect walk around handy lens, weightless and small!
  • Touchscreen interface is super handy and fun to use, like a cellphone screen
  • Minimalist buttonry is very nice, just the buttons you actually need for fun
  • For being so small, the handgrip feels pretty good in your hand (two fingers tall)
  • Lots of Fn buttons that can be programmed to do other things
  • All the same settings/menus that you have seen in more expensive Nikons

Cons

• Having a backup battery is A MUST, the battery lasts about 200 shots without flash. Leave the Wifi on accidentally or use a lot of flash and the thing is dead in 100 clicks!
  • Low light ISO is not very good at all, similar to D3000. You will be surprised learning what "low light" actually means...like soft afternoon light, not even a dark concert. This thing couldn't take a photo in a dark room to save its life.
  • Having to turn the lens from lock to 16mm before it will let you take a photo is a pain in the butt when you're trying to get an impromptu photo quickly. You'll develop a muscle memory for it in time, but I really hate how Nikon is embracing this new "turn to open" lens user interface...if you're the person who religiously puts a lens cap, this is now a second thing to have to do before you can take a photo.

Overall, my final vote is 3.5 stars, heavily deducted by the embarrassing battery life.

J_o_e_l's gear list:J_o_e_l's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
Nikon Z50
21 megapixels • 3.2 screen • APS-C sensor
Announced: Oct 10, 2019
J_o_e_l's score
Average community score
Nikon Z50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter Bendheim
Peter Bendheim Senior Member • Posts: 2,554
Re: Ultra-light and easy to use

Owning a second battery is cheap and takes no space. You down score excessively for what is basically an essential item on almost all mirrorless cameras.

I also disagree completely about low light photography-my experience is the opposite to yours. You should maybe check if you have something not setup correctly.

-- hide signature --

Peter Bendheim
•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
peterbendheim.tumblr.com

Peter Bendheim's gear list:Peter Bendheim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon G1 X III Sony DSC-RX0 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS M +2 more
Mebiuspower Regular Member • Posts: 492

J_o_e_l wrote:

• Low light ISO is not very good at all, similar to D3000. You will be surprised learning what "low light" actually means...like soft afternoon light, not even a dark concert. This thing couldn't take a photo in a dark room to save its life.

My Z50 worked perfectly in low-light with 24-70 f2.8, so please don't blame the camera.

-- hide signature --
 Mebiuspower's gear list:Mebiuspower's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 732

Mebiuspower wrote:

J_o_e_l wrote:

My Z50 worked perfectly in low-light with 24-70 f2.8, so please don't blame the camera.

beautiful shots!

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
fdfgdfgdgf
fdfgdfgdgf Regular Member • Posts: 106

Kit lens 16-50 is a junk above 35mm and half junk below. Why nikon is not taking DX lenses seriously

i am thinking about 16-80 VR

Mebiuspower Regular Member • Posts: 492

fdfgdfgdgf wrote:

Kit lens 16-50 is a junk above 35mm and half junk below. Why nikon is not taking DX lenses seriously

I guess you have never used Sony 16-50 PZ kit lens.

In other words, the Z kit lens is not junk at all. It's just slow.

-- hide signature --
 Mebiuspower's gear list:Mebiuspower's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +6 more
Virtual Photon Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

fdfgdfgdgf wrote:

And yet you post images reasonably good images with your 'junk' lens:

fdfgdrgdgf

These images could use some better post-processing by adding just a small amount of clarity and sharpening.  A 16-80 won't fix that.

I have the 16-80, and while it is a fine lens it is a bit ungainly once you add it (along with the FTZ) to the Z50.  While the range and speed are better, I find the IQ not substantially different from the diminutive Z50 kit - particularly for daylight casual shooting (such as the images you show).

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +8 more
fdfgdfgdgf
fdfgdfgdgf Regular Member • Posts: 106

I have the 16-80, and while it is a fine lens it is a bit ungainly once you add it (along with the FTZ) to the Z50. While the range and speed are better, I find the IQ not substantially different from the diminutive Z50 kit - particularly for daylight casual shooting (such as the images you show).

Ok thanks the 16-80 just faster and 80mm@f4 is a way better then 50mm@f6.3

Not sure about color and contrast. i am using DXO photolab and dont normal enable the "DXO clear view plus" although it has a dramatic effect. maybe i just buy a prime S lens or wait for native DX with the golden ring.

KoolKool Forum Member • Posts: 95

really? i'm considering switch my sony to z50 and low light you said it's just good as ancient d3000?! cause d3000 was my first camera back in the my college days, i thought z50 was a huge step up?

and.....the kit len is crap?

Franz304 Junior Member • Posts: 47

KoolKool wrote:

really? i'm considering switch my sony to z50 and low light you said it's just good as ancient d3000?! cause d3000 was my first camera back in the my college days, i thought z50 was a huge step up?

That's absolutely not true, I disagree with the OP. Z50 performance in low light is actually very good, on the same level of the D500 (look for Ricci's video on youtube if you want to see a test). I had a D3500 before, and the Z50 iso performance is on a whole different level.

The kit lens is small, light and extremely sharp. The only drawback is that the aperture range is not that great, ranging from f3.5 to f.6.3. You can still take very good photos in low light if your subject is still, thanks to the very good stabilization.
The main drawback of the Z50 is the lack of DX lenses at the moment, which may or may not be a problem depending on the use you want to do of the camera. As a Z50 owner however, I can fully recommend the camera with both kit lenses, they are extremely good for their price.

BurnImage
BurnImage Contributing Member • Posts: 802

Franz304 wrote:

KoolKool wrote:

That's absolutely not true, I disagree with the OP. Z50 performance in low light is actually very good, on the same level of the D500 (look for Ricci's video on youtube if you want to see a test). I had a D3500 before, and the Z50 iso performance is on a whole different level.

The kit lens is small, light and extremely sharp. The only drawback is that the aperture range is not that great, ranging from f3.5 to f.6.3. You can still take very good photos in low light if your subject is still, thanks to the very good stabilization.
The main drawback of the Z50 is the lack of DX lenses at the moment, which may or may not be a problem depending on the use you want to do of the camera. As a Z50 owner however, I can fully recommend the camera with both kit lenses, they are extremely good for their price.

I agree with you totally. The Z50 is proving to be a worthy and very high quality companion to my Z6.

Regarding battery life I simply put my Z cameras in aircraft mode which disables all the WiFi kinda stuff which I never use. This massively improves battery life and I rarely need to swap out to a spare battery .....

-- hide signature --
 BurnImage's gear list:BurnImage's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8 +3 more
Virtual Photon Senior Member • Posts: 1,252

KoolKool wrote:

I'm in agreement with Franz304 and Burnimage above.  Z50 IQ is on a par with the D500.

One thing about the kit lens is that it seems sharp to me from wide open.

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +8 more
Montanawildlives Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

I have to disagree about the battery life. I easily get over a thousand shots hiking around shooting wildlife and macro. I wonder if you are leaving your LCD screen on while not in use or something?

I turn the camera off between shooting situations and never have a problem.

I am annoyed that there are no third party batteries available yet for when I go out of town for a few days, It's been almost a year.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +7 more
Dan DeLion Contributing Member • Posts: 720
Problem Solved

J_o_e_l wrote:

I'll skip the emotional nonsense and just do a Pro/Con to cut to the chase...all my opinion, with lots of experience with Nikon:

Cons

• Having to turn the lens from lock to 16mm before it will let you take a photo is a pain in the butt when you're trying to get an impromptu photo quickly. ...

Hi Joel - Simply keep the lens extended all the time. Problem solved.

Stay safe - Dan

Verkku Regular Member • Posts: 178
Battery is much better

The battery loads internal battery during the first uses. That is why in the beginging the battery life seems short. After a while the situation changes and one will get much more life out of the battery.

Verkku's gear list:Verkku's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Nikon D810 Nikon D750 +30 more
J_o_e_l
OP J_o_e_l Forum Member • Posts: 57
Re: SOOC Samples

Great feedback guys...and good to hear that many of you are not experiencing the problems that I had with my sample!

I agree with you that 3.5 stars was a little harsh. I was upset by how poorly the battery performed for me. In cases where I used flash a lot, it wasn't even a few hours before it was dead. Anyways, I agree this is a great little camera, especially for the price that you can get it on eBay now (new with lens for $799) it's awesome!

Here are some real-world photos that I shot with the Z50 up in Delaware at the Nemour's Estate, (prior to returning it). Hope everyone enjoys seeing some actual/real-world SOOC performance:

Take care,

Joel

J_o_e_l's gear list:J_o_e_l's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +1 more
Montanawildlives Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

Virtual Photon wrote:

KoolKool wrote:

I'm in agreement with Franz304 and Burnimage above. Z50 IQ is on a par with the D500.

One thing about the kit lens is that it seems sharp to me from wide open.

The image quality is even better than the d500 because there's no Shutters shock if you're in silent mode. I can definitely tell the difference.

-- hide signature --
 Montanawildlives's gear list:Montanawildlives's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon Z50 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E III +7 more
mzachacz Junior Member • Posts: 37

Low light performance I do not really like :-(. I need to test it a bot more but I do need a good performance indoors in lower lights. Hopefully this is not that bad that I decide to return the camera and consider again Fuji x-t30 or Sony a6400 hmm...

But turning the lens to unlock is actually not that bad. In comparison to Sony a6xxx where the camera does this electrically, you can be a lot quicker because during a photo session there is no need to lock it. Just keep it unlocked and you are golden. I learnt to lock it only when I pack my camera back to the bag.

mzachacz's gear list:mzachacz's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon Z50

Could you please share some of your low light photos? What lens and settings do you use in low light?

Sony a6000 Nikon Z50

What do you exactly mean the lens is "slow"? Do you mean it needs a lot of time to set focus or do you mean the lens is not that bright so there is a need to use slow shutter speeds?

Sony a6000 Nikon Z50
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads