A9 with Tamron 70-180

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Michael Jardine
Michael Jardine Senior Member • Posts: 1,925
A9 with Tamron 70-180

I just spent a few rainy hours with this new lens and absolutely love it. Best of all the size & weight really feel like it is made for this camera.  Here's a review I did that was posted over in the third party lens forum.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64039484

I would be interested in comments from other new users.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Michael Jardine's gear list:Michael Jardine's gear list
Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a9 +9 more
Tamron 70-180mm F2.8 Di III VXD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
lattesweden
lattesweden Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724
Re: A9 with Tamron 70-180

Thanks!

I saw some other images earlier made with it and those had a rather unpleasant nervous bokeh (shot in a forest) but your images are really good in all aspects.

-- hide signature --

Best regards
/Anders
----------------------------------------------------
42 Megapixels is the answer to life, the universe and everything.
Gone in 20 fps.
You don't have to like my pictures, but it would help: http://www.lattermann.com/gallery

Michael Jardine
OP Michael Jardine Senior Member • Posts: 1,925

Thanks.  I'm very pleased with edge-to-edge brightness, especially compared to the 135mm f/1.8.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 Nikon D800 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Sony a9 +9 more
Jeff Style Contributing Member • Posts: 806

I'm very happy with the Tamron. It makes me rethink keeping my 135L. The size and weight are awesome. It is built exactly like the 28-75. I'll most likely use this 70-180 until it literally falls apart, or starts to, I am not a fan of size and weight which is part of the reason going mirrorless. AF is as expected. I think the 70-180 will have the same status as the 28-75.

Jeff Style's gear list:Jeff Style's gear list
Samsung NX300 Sony a6500 Sony a7 III Sony a6400 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more
JohnNEX Senior Member • Posts: 2,265

The bokeh here looks pretty good.  The 28-75 bokeh is a real weak point, but not so much for the 70-180.

Thanks for posting the shots - this is a somewhat challenging use case, with poor weather and moving subjects, and the lens did well.

-- hide signature --

Sharpness scores and other stats for many FE lenses here: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4442319
Fairly amateur photography here:
https://www.facebook.com/John-Clark-Photography-1035965476487072/

JohnNEX's gear list:JohnNEX's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony a6500 Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS +9 more
Ed Constable Regular Member • Posts: 320

I just want to get mine back from Tamron (or a replacement ... I'm interested what happens)

Ed

Ed Constable's gear list:Ed Constable's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +11 more
Michael Jardine

You sent yours back to Tamron?

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

No, my dealer handled it. It went off on Thursday last week ... expected back end of this week.

Fujifilm GFX 100 Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +11 more
Michael Jardine

JohnNEX wrote:

The bokeh here looks pretty good. The 28-75 bokeh is a real weak point, but not so much for the 70-180.

Thanks for posting the shots - this is a somewhat challenging use case, with poor weather and moving subjects, and the lens did well.

The weather was challenging for sure. Moving subjects were very easy, particularly with the AF tracking on the A9.  I didn't really get any missed shots - but then again, the subjects were not moving very fast.  One small challenge was getting a focused shot between two people as all three were moving. And in that instance, the quick focus never missed.

An even more challenging scenario will be night (or indoor) field sports, which I look forward to testing out but maybe not in the immediate future!

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Michael Jardine

Why did you (your dealer) send it back? Was it faulty?

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Michael Jardine

Jeff Style wrote:

I'm very happy with the Tamron. It makes me rethink keeping my 135L. The size and weight are awesome. It is built exactly like the 28-75. I'll most likely use this 70-180 until it literally falls apart, or starts to, I am not a fan of size and weight which is part of the reason going mirrorless. AF is as expected. I think the 70-180 will have the same status as the 28-75.

I have a friend who loves the Tamron 28-75, having switched over (like me) from Nikon, where she liked the 24-70.  I'm pretty much 'stuck' with the Sony 24-105/4 which I'm also pretty much happy with for the time being - except that I dropped it!

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Michael Jardine

Thanks - and guess I was lucky. You'll enjoy it.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Michael Jardine wrote:

I just spent a few rainy hours with this new lens and absolutely love it. Best of all the size & weight really feel like it is made for this camera. Here's a review I did that was posted over in the third party lens forum.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64039484

I would be interested in comments from other new users.

I sadly had a first run lens and my serial number was part of the recall. They replaced my lens for free with a new lens of course.

Had it out for it's first real test this morning. The AF is totally silent for one and AF is quick. And the sharpness is amazing as well. Love it on my A7III! As for no IS I simply have my Min. Shutter Speed set to 1/250 sec.

You don't realize it's even hanging on your body (Peak Design Strap). Nice lens and a great buy.

AZheaven Senior Member • Posts: 1,376

Michael Jardine wrote:

You sent yours back to Tamron?

There was a recall on certain serial numbers in the first run of the lens. Tamron replaced mine no questions asked.

Michael Jardine

AZheaven wrote:

rst run lens and my serial number was part of the recall. They replaced my lens for free with a new lens of course.

Had it out for it's first real test this morning. The AF is totally silent for one and AF is quick. And the sharpness is amazing as well. Love it on my A7III! As for no IS I simply have my Min. Shutter Speed set to 1/250 sec.

You don't realize it's even hanging on your body (Peak Design Strap). Nice lens and a great buy.

Would love to see some of your snapshots. Yes, forgot to mention it's silent. I typically shoot silent electronic on A9 so I'm used to complete silence.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,291

Can it track and shoot at 20fps on a9?  i know not all lenses can keep up with a9 at 20fps.  please let us know.

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Michael Jardine
Tamron 70-180 Tracking at 15 fps on A9

Joe Tam wrote:

Can it track and shoot at 20fps on a9? i know not all lenses can keep up with a9 at 20fps. please let us know.

Good news: tracking works fine at HI setting, at least on constantly moving objects (car at 40 mph). Also seems to track well while zooming (not shown in this sequence).

Bad news: HI "only " works at 15 fps. Which is still enough to generate a movie.

First shot in sequence, full res

Last shot in sequence. Focus point remained on the front grill area and/or left headlight (right, from photo POV). Pixel peepers will notice some CA on the grill.

In this 55-frame sequence during which I zoomed from 180 down to 70, there were three frames out of focus, marked in red.

Including first, last, and a middle one for comparison:

180mm

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Joe Tam Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: Tamron 70-180 Tracking at 15 fps on A9

Does the manual focus turn the same way as Sony?  Is the zoom ring also turn same way as sony?

Joe Tam's gear list:Joe Tam's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +11 more
Michael Jardine
Re: Tamron 70-180 Tracking at 15 fps on A9

Joe Tam wrote:

Does the manual focus turn the same way as Sony? Is the zoom ring also turn same way as sony?

Both turn counter-clockwise to Infinity.

Zoom right turns the same way as Sony, but as you may have read in the reviews, the location of the Zoom and  Focus rings is switched so that on the Tamron, the focus ring is closer to the camera body.  I prefer this setting because on Sony zom lenses, depending on the length of the barrel, often the lens shade, if retracted, covers the front end of the lens and either makes manual focus difficult or impossible.  With the Tamron, I can always focus manually. I do wish it had a manual focus switch.

-- hide signature --

Michael
www.Qamera.com
IG my.qamera

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads