How to pick a WA lens?

Started 3 months ago | Questions
dog house riley Senior Member • Posts: 1,226
How to pick a WA lens?

Hi shooters, are you getting over staying in house? all from the covid-19.

Okay: I'm shooting more simple landscapes, or what ever you might want call them. My widest lens is 24-120 f4, I've searched Nikon 18 35 3.5 4.5 [2nd version] I had first back around 2000, for film, didn't care for it on digital. Also look at or have been looking at Nikon 16 35 f4?

If i could get some opinions, no I won't be going to the G, canyon,[been there] in film, just have no desire to travel great distance any more.

I live in "fly over Indiana" southwest to be more precise. So I'll be concentrating just local easy and simple landscapes.

I posted a photo from yesterday, of Wabash river, I was only about 50 to 100 yards from my car, I no longer make long walks and carry heavy gear. This photo, was 4 stop ND and tripod 2 sec delay, still learning how my new D750 works.

Opinions would be helpful.

Just a simple sample of what I'm trying to do.

dog house riley's gear list:dog house riley's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D7100 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D3300 +20 more
ANSWER:
Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 5,168
Re: How to pick a WA lens?

dog house riley wrote:

Okay: I'm shooting more simple landscapes, or what ever you might want call them. My widest lens is 24-120 f4, I've searched Nikon 18 35 3.5 4.5 [2nd version] I had first back around 2000, for film, didn't care for it on digital. Also look at or have been looking at Nikon 16 35 f4?

The current 18-35mm uses a different optical formula than the original, but without knowing what you didn't like, I can't really say whether you'd be happy with it.  Here's a quick rundown of the wide lenses I've used on FX:

• Sigma 12-24mm Mk 1 -- I strongly suggest avoiding this one.  It was okay for film and DX digital, but with the D800 the flaws became apparent.  It stopped working after a D800 firmware upgrade.  Sigma USA not only couldn't (or wouldn't) upgrade the lens firmware, they diagnosed the lens with an AF failure.  So I traded it in for a ...
  • Sigma 14-24mm f/2.8 -- Between a dreary winter and the current pandemic, I haven't had much opportunity to use this one yet.  But it's a massive thing, so I doubt it's too your taste.
  • 17-35mm f/2.8D AF-S -- Mr Squeaky!  Lens design has moved on since this c.2000 design, but it's still my preferred range for a wide angle zoom.  I'm on my second AF motor.  Once that motor started squeaky, I decided to keep using the lens until the motor failed.  That was a number of years ago, and I accept that each outing I might end up focusing manually.  While technically still a current Nikon offering, I can't recommend it for a D750.
  • 18mm f/3.5 Zeiss ZF.2 -- This is a recent acquisition, which I hoped would pair better with my own 24-xxx zooms than the 20mm f/2.8.  It's lovely mechanically and my test shots look fine, but as with the 14-24mm I haven't put it through its paces yet.
  • 20mm f/2.8 AF (pre-D) -- Well, it's small.  It's also a 36 year old optical design, but when you stop it down to f/8 or so, the only real issue is correcting distortion, and the Lightroom plug-ins do a pretty good job there.

If the 17-35mm were to die tomorrow, I'd likely replace it either with a Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 Opera ($649) or a Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8~4 ($599).

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +40 more
johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

dog house riley wrote:

If i could get some opinions, no I won't be going to the G, canyon,[been there] in film, just have no desire to travel great distance any more.

I live in "fly over Indiana" southwest to be more precise. So I'll be concentrating just local easy and simple landscapes.

I posted a photo from yesterday, of Wabash river, I was only about 50 to 100 yards from my car, I no longer make long walks and carry heavy gear. This photo, was 4 stop ND and tripod 2 sec delay, still learning how my new D750 works.

Opinions would be helpful.

Just a simple sample of what I'm trying to do.

With your mixture of equipment, not sure whether your target is FX or DX lens.

Second question is what lens range do you consider wide angle.

In FX I would consider anything longer than 18mm at the wide end to be not really wide angle.  In DX anything longer than 12mm not to be really wide angle.

Personally, in FX my standard WA is my Sigma 12-24mm.  In DX my standard is Sigma 8-16mm.  Nether of these will likely work on newest bodies (camera firmware issues) or older bodies with recent firmware upgrades.  I also own the Nikon 14-24/2.8, but it is a massive lens and not for people who don't want heavy lenses.  When the situation needs WA, I don't think 18mm is wide enough.

After reviewing lens recommendations in this forum, I recently added a used (I only buy used equipment these days for a variety of reasons) Sigma 17-35 2.8-4.0.  Haven't really done serious testing, but it appears well made and has decent IQ.

Sometimes one simply cannot back up without allowing unwanted foreground things in the way or  a wall or a body of water is behind shooter.  Hence, my super wide lenses.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
1971_M5
1971_M5 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,439

I like your pic.  The 24-120 is very good and versatile.  For a static subject like the one you posted, take 3 or 4 shots in portrait orientation and stitch them for a FOV that is "wider" than a single shot with an ultra-wide.  Higher rez, too.  No gear to buy.  But pano stitching has it's challenges at times.  It is not totally foolproof.  But the results can be very satisfying.  Just an idea.

1971_M5's gear list:1971_M5's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +3 more
johnchap2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,364

It is a Tamron 17-35, and not a sigma.

johnchap2's gear list:johnchap2's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +18 more
BillW1204 Regular Member • Posts: 197

Not sure how wide you want to go and whether you want the flexibility of a zoom?  Assuming you are talking about using it on an FX body and do not need a zoom, you might consider the 20 mm f1.8 Nikon in F mount.  Nice optical quality and smaller and lighter than the 16-35 mm Nikon zoom.

OP dog house riley Senior Member • Posts: 1,226

I've thought about pano's, but will 750 do it in camera? andLR 6.0 ?? I've seen several folks on you tube doing that.

Thanks for the thought.

DHR.

My serious side is FX, playing with light weight gear I use my D5300 or D7100.

My gear list is so diverse I can just about grab any set up for anything Its taken years to accumulate these toys.

DHR

anotherMike Forum Pro • Posts: 10,023

I was thinking the other day, as I was cleaning and looking at some older prints, that if I couldn't have the pretty high end collection of wide angles that I have, that I'd probably go with the cheap, light, plastic 18-35 F/3.5 - F/4.5G (the newer one). Wide angles are tough designs, zoom wides even more so, so this isn't going to knock the best from Zeiss off their perch, but it's a surprisingly competent very decent wide angle zoom that won't break the bank either. Useless for astro or things like that because it's slow, but I always liked this lens better than the 16-35/4, which I also owned for a while.

-m

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Raticus Regular Member • Posts: 224

anotherMike wrote:

I was thinking the other day, as I was cleaning and looking at some older prints, that if I couldn't have the pretty high end collection of wide angles that I have, that I'd probably go with the cheap, light, plastic 18-35 F/3.5 - F/4.5G (the newer one). Wide angles are tough designs, zoom wides even more so, so this isn't going to knock the best from Zeiss off their perch, but it's a surprisingly competent very decent wide angle zoom that won't break the bank either. Useless for astro or things like that because it's slow, but I always liked this lens better than the 16-35/4, which I also owned for a while.

-m

For FX I agree with the current/newer 18-35mm.

For DX, and if you just want to test the waters for WA without breaking the bank, the 10-20mm AF-P VR is a fun little lens.

smithim Senior Member • Posts: 1,297

anotherMike wrote:

.....I'd probably go with the cheap, light, plastic 18-35 F/3.5 - F/4.5G (the newer one). Wide angles are tough designs, zoom wides even more so, so this isn't going to knock the best from Zeiss off their perch, but it's a surprisingly competent very decent wide angle zoom that won't break the bank either.

Yes, this is my preference, as well - an under-rated lens, IMHO.

Richard D Jacobs Senior Member • Posts: 2,121

I have owned the Nikon 18-35 and presently own the Nikon 16-35 F4.

I find it to be sharper with better contrast than the 18-35.

My 18-35 was not the newer version.

Just my opinion.

Richard

Richard D Jacobs's gear list:Richard D Jacobs's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm F1.4G +7 more

I want to thank all who put their 2 cents into my question of a W/A lens. I've studied several and for my need I think the latest version of the 18 35 would be all I'd need

I had the first one from back around 2000, and using on film was fine thats why I bought it. But in 2004, I bought my 1st digital, a D70, and on that crop sensor body I just didn't like it. So now shooting my D750, it'll work fine. Thank you all so much.

"dog house riley"

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,620

I'd pick a lens based on weight, and width.   Nothing else is really going to make that much difference in the image, though each wide lens will have its own characteristics in terms of distortion, flare control, filter ability, and aperture range.

I had a 14-24 F2.8 back in 2013 when I was planning on a 3-week trip to Europe.   Problem is, it would not fit in my travel bag when I had a 24-70 and 80-400 in there.  So I bought a 16-35 for my wide travel lens.    It's generally been a better choice almost every time I didn't need wider than 16mm.    Thing is, if you are going as wide as 16mm, you may well be wanting to go wider than that.   Every 1mm on the wide end is a quite visible difference.   But 18mm is still a whole lot wider than 24mm, and it would give you looks you cannot achieve now.

By the way, I used to live along the Wabash for years.   6 miles south of Lafayette, IN.   There was a 3/4 mile long cornfield between my house and the Wabash that would typically flood each spring.   Walked barefoot down to the river many a time in my youth.  Even took a canoe ride down it one ill-fated high school spring vacation.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,704

dog house riley wrote:

I want to thank all who put their 2 cents into my question of a W/A lens. I've studied several and for my need I think the latest version of the 18 35 would be all I'd need

I had the first one from back around 2000, and using on film was fine thats why I bought it. But in 2004, I bought my 1st digital, a D70, and on that crop sensor body I just didn't like it. So now shooting my D750, it'll work fine. Thank you all so much.

"dog house riley"

An 18-35mm FX-equivalent is my preferred "walkaround" lens. It covers a lot of subjects particularly environmental portraits. Such zooms have been mainstays in pro editorial/PJ kits since the 1990s. (I use a 12-24mm f4 Tokina with my DX Nikons.)

The choice used to be easy: Get a UWA 2.8 Nikkor. Every version is relatively small/light with good but not great optics. But stopped-down they sharpen-up nicely. I wish that Nikon would introduce a new 17-35mm 2.8 zoom or similar with improved specs. I still have a 20-35mm 2.8 Nikkor that has seen a lot of use (and survived a very hard fall that would have likely killed a lesser 21st century zoom. . .) that thankfully does not have an internal AF motor. My only gripe is it isn't quite wide enough. . . 18mm is plenty for my needs.

I'm not a fan of variable-aperture glass but if I was in the market for an UWA zoom the Tamron 17-35mm f/2.8~4 would be on my list. That is if I couldn't find an acceptable f2.8 or f4 alternative. . .

Thanks, I think the latest 1835, will perform just fine for me. After buying the 58 1.4 and D750 my "camera kitty" is hurting at the bank, have to slow down for awhile.

Wabash is pretty at this time of year, i live in Evansville, In. about 18 miles to the river.

D H R

LordKOTL
LordKOTL Senior Member • Posts: 1,531

BillW1204 wrote:

Not sure how wide you want to go and whether you want the flexibility of a zoom? Assuming you are talking about using it on an FX body and do not need a zoom, you might consider the 20 mm f1.8 Nikon in F mount. Nice optical quality and smaller and lighter than the 16-35 mm Nikon zoom.

Seconding this option--even though I may be late to the game.

High Tatras, Slovakia

Nightscape from my backyard

It might not have the versatility of a zoom or may not be wide enough for your preferences, but the lens is one of my favorites to use.

-- hide signature --

There's no shame in using auto or semiauto modes--no matter what the salesdroids at Best Buy tell you.

LordKOTL's gear list:LordKOTL's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED +3 more
PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 16,620

I'm going the opposite direction in lenses today.  Just ordered a 500 pf.   Although the reasons are starting to align with yours - at my age (66) I'm not a fan of carrying the 200-500 around so much, along with the tripod, ball head, and waist bag of other stuff.

The small size and weight of the 500 is a huge appeal.  Perhaps it will make my travel bag someday, if I can ever travel again (out of country).

On the extreme opposite of THAT (500mm), I've been thinking fondly of my 10.5mm F2.8 fisheye.  As tiny a DSLR lens as I've got, and huge fun in its limited way.   Wish I had an alternative for the D850, but of course it could never be as small.

-- hide signature --

Phoenix Arizona Craig
www.cjcphoto.net
"In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they're not."

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more

Thanks for your reply, I'd love the 500 PF, what I've read, its really a great lens. But! I have to admit its priced over my head-- but If i could, I'd sell my bad knee to own one.

i had the 10.5 several years ago, I used it on my D90, today for lightweight cameras, I've been using my D5300,.

hen you get the 500 PF, i'll be looking to your posts.

Many thanks:  D H R

Bernard Delley Senior Member • Posts: 1,457

anotherMike wrote:

-m

I agree very much ! But,  "useless for astro" is an over statement.  You can do a lot with it in night sky+landscape photography.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads