New E-M1X just arrived but is it brand new?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Mottenhaus Forum Member • Posts: 65
New E-M1X just arrived but is it brand new?

Hi, yesterday I finally received a new E-M1X, wow..

I was a bit surprised that the flipscreen had no display protection, the shutter count was at 280 (seems normal). The battery pack was completely empty.

Maybe I got a product from another customer who sent it back?

-

Mottenhaus's gear list:Mottenhaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Light Bender Regular Member • Posts: 210
Re: New E-M1X just arrived but is it brand new?

I've talked to Olympus reps about this particular situation.  They mentioned that every camera is fired quite a few times as part of their QC processes to make sure the product is functioning correctly before it is boxed.  They said that anything under 500 is considered quite normal.

Light Bender's gear list:Light Bender's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony a7R II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 +19 more
Helen
Helen Veteran Member • Posts: 7,380

twitterdonald wrote:

I was a bit surprised that the flipscreen had no display protection, the shutter count was at 280 (seems normal). The battery pack was completely empty.

-

I have noticed that they have discontinued the use of that protective film on the display on models introduced after late 2019, so it very probably applies to the E-M1X by now, too (maybe it even started with that model - I have never handled one) . I have lately noticed definitely-brand new Olympus models with shot counts over 200 - one even with 420. Completely empty batteries are also common. So hopefully, all is fine.

OP Mottenhaus Forum Member • Posts: 65

Thanks guys!! I will enjoy this gorgeous piece of hardware

Mottenhaus's gear list:Mottenhaus's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
cosmicnode Veteran Member • Posts: 5,262

I wonder if batteries are now shipped in a discharged state due to postal requirements. In the UK when you post a parcel at the post office, you are asked if the parcel contains batteries.

-- hide signature --

Mike.
"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure."

cosmicnode's gear list:cosmicnode's gear list
Nikon D1 Nikon D1X Nikon D1H Nikon D2H Nikon D2X +16 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,545

twitterdonald wrote:

Thanks guys!! I will enjoy this gorgeous piece of hardware

Yes... get out and use it! Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

twitterdonald wrote:

I was a bit surprised that the flipscreen had no display protection, the shutter count was at 280 (seems normal). The battery pack was completely empty.

-

From my experience I would be more worried if the battery was charged. I had an obvious return and the battery was charged up but the giveaway was it was a third party battery. The guy had switched batteries before sending it back. Unless you are saying the batteries were missing which is also a giveaway. There was also a lump of gunk on the lens barrel. This was bought over the counter in a store.

Most batteries are flat when the camera is new and waiting for them to charge up is the frustrating experience.

Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 17,110

At 20 frames p er sec it’s been used for15 secs

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

DrHook59
DrHook59 Regular Member • Posts: 464

It's obviously a return, most likely damaged beyond repair. I'll buy it off you for the parts, if you want?

**cough**

-- hide signature --

Some of the coolest things in life are really, really small.
www.flickr.com/photos/roddyhays

DrHook59's gear list:DrHook59's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +1 more
Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,716

twitterdonald wrote:

-

My new E-M1iii didn't come with display protection. Perhaps it is no longer used as part of a drive to reduce the amount of single use plastic.

Shutter counts of about 300 are normal for new Olympus cameras. They occur as part of the quality control process.

Shipping products containing lithium batteries is subject to lots of regulations. It is normal for them to be shipped in a discharged state. I would be more concerned if the battery arrived fully charged as this would indicate that a previous user had charged it. Some shops used to open the box and charge the battery prior to sending it to the customer so that they could use the camera straight away but I believe this practice is no longer common.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 1,455

Peter 1745 wrote:

twitterdonald wrote:

-

My new E-M1iii didn't come with display protection. Perhaps it is no longer used as part of a drive to reduce the amount of single use plastic.

Like with the EM5 III body? 

Shutter counts of about 300 are normal for new Olympus cameras. They occur as part of the quality control process.

Shipping products containing lithium batteries is subject to lots of regulations. It is normal for them to be shipped in a discharged state. I would be more concerned if the battery arrived fully charged as this would indicate that a previous user had charged it. Some shops used to open the box and charge the battery prior to sending it to the customer so that they could use the camera straight away but I believe this practice is no longer common.

Robstar63 Regular Member • Posts: 175

Completely normal on both counts. They have to fire the shutter a certain number of times in various modes to make sure it is in full and correct working order for quality control

At one time you could count on batteries having a good charge on arrival but nowadays batteries always arrive almost fully discharged ( not charged up in the first place)

I think the cameras are tested with ‘spare’ factory batteries so the supplied battery will be unused

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads