IBIS with 80-200

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
Atahualpa Regular Member • Posts: 346
IBIS with 80-200

The last generation of Nikons 80-200 2.8 lenses has AF-S. So it could be used to do AF on the Z system. However, there is no VR. I wonder how much IBIS would help here. Somewhere (can't remember) I read IBIS was more effective at wider apertures. I am asking, because these lenses sell at quite attractive prices. Are there any other downsides?

Atahualpa's gear list:Atahualpa's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +2 more
Stavrosf Regular Member • Posts: 111
Re: IBIS with 80-200

Actually, IBIS is more effective in wider lenses. This is the reason the Z 24-70mm lenses don't have VR, and Z 70-200mm does have. So, I don't expect IBIS to be as effective as on a wider lens, but actually is not clear how effective (number of stops) will be to a 70-200 that doesn't have VR.

Some more reading:  https://photographylife.com/understanding-ibis-nikon-mirrorless-cameras

Stavrosf's gear list:Stavrosf's gear list
Ricoh GR Ricoh GR III Nikon Z6 GoPro Hero9 Black Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED +10 more
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 5,015

I shot with an 80-200/2.8 AF-S lens for years. It was phenomenally sharp and a joy to shoot with. You just have to use shutter speeds high enough to overcome camera shake. What speed depends on your hand holding technique. Also, some say that replacement parts are not available for the focus motor. But I wonder how many are just repeating what they heard elsewhere. It's built like a tank. If the price is right, it's a great option IMO.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,584

IBIS seems to apply 3 axis rather than 5 axis control with an F mount lens which does not have in lens VR.

Nikon gives only a single "ability" number for IBIS - up to 5 stops with the 24-70 f4 S at 70mm.

The 2 longer zooms announced (but not delivered for retail sale) for Z 24x36 format have in lens VR - likely because up to 5 stops VR is not possible with IBIS at longer focal lengths.

I except up to about 2.5 stops gain is the limit for an 80-200 no in lens VR lens - though up to 2.5 stops is better than getting no gain on an F mount body.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +28 more
rokoko
rokoko Senior Member • Posts: 2,039

80-200 AF-S worked fine on Z7, with IBIS. The only concern might be the FTZ: the fuse could be burnt using some older type lenses. Try some Google...

rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7 III
OP Atahualpa Regular Member • Posts: 346

Leonard Shepherd wrote:

IBIS seems to apply 3 axis rather than 5 axis control with an F mount lens which does not have in lens VR.

Nikon gives only a single "ability" number for IBIS - up to 5 stops with the 24-70 f4 S at 70mm.

The 2 longer zooms announced (but not delivered for retail sale) for Z 24x36 format have in lens VR - likely because up to 5 stops VR is not possible with IBIS at longer focal lengths.

I except up to about 2.5 stops gain is the limit for an 80-200 no in lens VR lens - though up to 2.5 stops is better than getting no gain on an F mount body.

Hmm two stops isn't that bad. That's 1/60s instead of 1/250s. Much lower than 1/60s is difficult anyway if subject motion should be stopped also.

So far I have seen them in the 600€ price range. That's still quite a bit. Would rather have them in the 500 range since some 70-200 are already 700ish (though not sure of quality). I suppose when the Z 70-200 2.8S will be available there will be even more 70-200 on the 2nd hand market. Maybe that puts the 80-200s under more pressure.

Atahualpa's gear list:Atahualpa's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC +2 more
DeeCameraUser Forum Member • Posts: 82

I have found ibis to be quite effective when using the 200mm f/4 D on a Z7, this photo was taken hand-held in low light. So it is not entirely useless with longer focal lengths.

DeeCameraUser's gear list:DeeCameraUser's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D500 Nikon Z7 Nikon Z50 Nikon D3S +24 more
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 20,584

Atahualpa wrote:

Hmm two stops isn't that bad. That's 1/60s instead of 1/250s. Much lower than 1/60s is difficult anyway if subject motion should be stopped also.

Caution - the limited information Nikon provides on VR performance is relatively modest gain around 1/60 - with the maximum gain needing a shutter speed about 1/8th.

Nikon does not as far as I know give any guidance on likely IBIS gain at different shutter speeds.

1/8th is much too slow to stop most subject motion separate from IBIS/VR camera shake gain.

In ideal world around 10 people with a Z6 or Z7 and the 80-200 could take shots of a fine detail subject at different shutter speeds with IBIS on and then off and report back.

As hand holding ability varies between photographers an average advantage could be calculated.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
In lots of ways good photography is much more about how equipment is used rather than anything else.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon Z7 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +28 more
Sukuwea Enikkusu Junior Member • Posts: 31

rokoko wrote:

80-200 AF-S worked fine on Z7, with IBIS. The only concern might be the FTZ: the fuse could be burnt using some older type lenses. Try some Google...

What?! I really wanted to buy the 80 - 200 for my Z6. It is so dreamy and would be a good complement to my 58mm 1.4g...

rokoko
rokoko Senior Member • Posts: 2,039

Sukuwea Enikkusu wrote:

rokoko wrote:

What?! I really wanted to buy the 80 - 200 for my Z6. It is so dreamy and would be a good complement to my 58mm 1.4g...

I was trying to do the same...  tested different copies... some AF motor noise...

Good luck...

rokoko's gear list:rokoko's gear list
Nikon Z7 Sony a7 III
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads