Fuji XC 15-45 feedback?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
ZioPepino Junior Member • Posts: 44
Fuji XC 15-45 feedback?

Hi,

I'm doing street photography and would like to buy this little lens in order to know at which distance i feel the most comfortable (i acually shoot with the 27mm).

Do you have any feedback about this lens for this purpose ? Can i choose a focal lenght between  and? (can i decide to shoot at   23 mm for example?)

Thank you very much!!

In cas of, my instagram account if you wanna check : @scopic_drive

Roland P New Member • Posts: 9
Re: Fuji XC 15-45 feedback?

You can set a focal lenght and it remembers last focal lenght when you turn the camera on and off. But setting the focal lenght is not straight forward. It only displays a bar in camera when shooting. I have not figured out how to get focal lenght in number when shooting at least.
  So to set a focal lenght you have to take a picture, then go to playback, open info display by pressing joystick/four-way button up, check the focal lenght and then repeat if you didn’t set it perfect. It also isn’t possible to set some focal lenght exactly so 34.8mm might be the closest to 35mm you can get (just a example on 35mm don’t got the lens in front of me), it’s fine but can be slightly annoying when setting up. 
  XC 15-45 lens barrel needs to extend when turning the camera on no matter the focal lenght. I don’t feel like it takes that long time but it’s slower than a prime. If you have your camera off and then quickly turn it on and snap a photo a lot, then I bet it would get annoying quickly.

OP ZioPepino Junior Member • Posts: 44

Ok thank you very much! Are you happy with this lens? Would you recommend it?

Roland P New Member • Posts: 9

I do like it as a cheap, lightweight zoom. But when I think about it I would agreed with what goodytwoshoes wrote.
For longer focal lenghts you can crop to “test” with xf27, you would still have decent MP count at 50mm. For wider it would be harder but smartphones got ~16-19mm equivalent (depending on model) “1x normal” lens and buying a used either of 16 2.8, 18 or 23 2 with intention of reselling it if you don’t like it would probably also be a better solution.

Derek49 Contributing Member • Posts: 547

ZioPepino wrote:

Hi,

I'm doing street photography and would like to buy this little lens in order to know at which distance i feel the most comfortable (i acually shoot with the 27mm).

Do you have any feedback about this lens for this purpose ? Can i choose a focal lenght between and? (can i decide to shoot at 23 mm for example?)

Thank you very much!!

In cas of, my instagram account if you wanna check : @scopic_drive

You might be better off with the 16-50. Optically it's very good and has 23mm and 35mm markings on the zoom ring.

Derek49's gear list:Derek49's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F40fd Fujifilm FinePix F450 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Fujifilm X10 +26 more
jjz2 Senior Member • Posts: 2,748

On a budget you're better off with the 16-50.

Also, mine reset the focal length even when reviewing a photo... it was very annoying. Coming from off to on with the zoom also resets it. It varies with camera.

If you needed to rack the zoom really quick for a quick street shot, it would be horrendously slow as well because of the power zoom.

There are no focal length markers on the lens.

It was sharp with good IQ though for the most part, esp at wide end. I just didn't enjoy actually using it. Felt cheap and piddly. Poor usability for quickly changing focal lengths.

I have the 18-55 now and it's much nicer to use, better IQ/rendering, and a premium metal build.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
afm Contributing Member • Posts: 556

I agree with other posters in that the 16-50 would suit your requirements more than the 15-45 I think. I sent the 15-45 back after comparing with my 16-50.

OP ZioPepino Junior Member • Posts: 44

Thank you very much for your feedback! I'm gonna check the 16-50mm

Max2020 New Member • Posts: 4

afm wrote:

I agree with other posters in that the 16-50 would suit your requirements more than the 15-45 I think. I sent the 15-45 back after comparing with my 16-50.

I agree with your suggestion... but XC 15-45 is very good in the widest range and @15 it is sharper than 18-55@18 and 16-50@16.

afm Contributing Member • Posts: 556

Agreed but I found 16-50 to be sharp at 16 and constant throughout the range where the 15-45 was only very sharp at 15.  I have to admit I did'nt like the power zoom. I also have the 18-55 which I find to be better than both at all FLs

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads