Lenses for a sci-fi look? Fantasy?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
S1shooter Forum Member • Posts: 62
Lenses for a sci-fi look? Fantasy?

Hello everyone,

I'm a filmmaker by trade who mostly focuses on the writing and directing of my work but rarely actually gets into the hands on aspect of craft beyond discussing creative references for what the vision of the project is with the crew.

Since I want to get better in this area, I got myself an S1 and have  been going nuts looking at different lenses. Right now, I'm a little obsessed with the Canon 50 f/.95 "dream lens".

I'm huge into sci-fi and fantasy, but have worked in indie drama as of now. Just want to get some lenses that will approximate the type of look I love so I can give myself creative inspiration for what I want to work up to so to speak.

My question is - which lenses can you recommend for a filmmaker going for a lush, saturated, contrast look similar to Pan's Labyrinth? How about something cooler, and more tranquil like Moonlight? And what about something with that child-like wondrous blue a.l.a. E.T.?

Thanks

FinePix S1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
mclewis Senior Member • Posts: 1,278
Re: Lenses for a sci-fi look? Fantasy?

S1shooter wrote:

My question is - which lenses can you recommend for a filmmaker going for a lush, saturated, contrast look similar to Pan's Labyrinth? How about something cooler, and more tranquil like Moonlight? And what about something with that child-like wondrous blue a.l.a. E.T.?

Thanks

The lens will have absolutely nothing to do with the above.  That will all be down to scene lighting and editing in post production.

Klaus dk
Klaus dk Veteran Member • Posts: 6,813

mclewis wrote:

S1shooter wrote:

Thanks

The lens will have absolutely nothing to do with the above. That will all be down to scene lighting and editing in post production.

While I totally agree, I believe cinematographers have this obsession with exotic lenses, which I suppose is where the OP got the idea that it's the lens. It's unfortunate the lens means so little; it would be so much easier if you could just buy the look you're after.

To the OP, look up cinematic lighting and post processing. IMHO, that's where youll get the most impact on your photographs. It will also offer you a more profound understanding of how the "emotion" is produced and give you a better basis for communicating your vision to the crew. You are in effect trying to learn a whole new language. It will be fun, I promise.

I suppose an "S1" is a Panasonic camera? Just to avoid confusion with the Fujifilm S1 Pro.

Good luck and good light.

Klaus dk's gear list:Klaus dk's gear list
Sony RX100 II Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS R Canon EF 135mm F2.8 SF Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +15 more
CallMeAlan Contributing Member • Posts: 677

This should suit you:

https://www.dpreview.com/articles/9811242514/kubrick-s-f-0-7-lenses-now-available-for-rent-but-start-saving-up

-- hide signature --

A good friend will help you move house.
A best friend will help you move a body.

CallMeAlan's gear list:CallMeAlan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro +1 more
grsnovi
grsnovi Contributing Member • Posts: 872

Can't say what the S1 offers as far as in camera image processing but Lumix cameras generally include a SCENE mode that allows you to get JPG images out of the camera that have already been processed. Many of these include the over-saturated look as well as other "looks" that are often done in post. Having been a sci-fi fan for years I can't say that there is a sci-fi look that I'd be able to identify.

grsnovi's gear list:grsnovi's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony SLT-A65 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Tough TG-1 iHS Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) +11 more
Mark Scott Abeln
Mark Scott Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 15,552
Color grading

The qualities you are looking for largely come down to lighting and color grading on the computer, as well as set design.

But these lenses are considered pretty good:

https://www.cookeoptics.com

Mark Scott Abeln's gear list:Mark Scott Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads