For $999

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Zen4Life Regular Member • Posts: 161
Re: For $999

Somewhat related, would anyone know how the new 24-105 F4-7.1 lens would compare optically with the Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4? Specifically interested in sharpness comparison for landscapes...

OP nnowak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,274

Zen4Life wrote:

Somewhat related, would anyone know how the new 24-105 F4-7.1 lens would compare optically with the Fuji 18-55 F2.8-4? Specifically interested in sharpness comparison for landscapes...

Good question. I have not shot with the RF lens, but have used the Fuji quite a bit. The Fuji is a really nice little lens with very good image quality. It is a fantastic general purpose lens that works equally well for photos or video. From the sample I have seen, the RF lens has some soft corners with quite a bit of vignetting.

Realistically, I am not sure either lens is ideal for landscapes. The Fuji lens has really nice optics, but only goes to an equivalent of 27mm wide. The Canon lens has a more desirable 24mm wide end, but appears to lack the corner to corner quality you would want for landscapes.  In either case, I think you would need an additional lens to augment one of these standard zooms for landscape use.

Current rumors are listing a consumer level wide angle 18-45mm lens for the RF mount coming in 2021. This could be the modern discount version of the EF 17-40mm lens and might be a nice compact landscape lens. You could also adapt the excellent EF 16-35mm f/4 IS L to the RP.

With Fuji, there is the 14mm f/2.8 (21mm equivalent) prime that pairs perfectly with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 as both Fuji lenses share the same size filter and the same lens hood. Another Fuji option is the existing 10-24mm f/4 zoom.   Finally, there is the Fuji 16-80mm f/4 lens, but initial reviews sound like it might be better for general purpose/travel use than landscapes.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 15,459

nnowak wrote:

Zen4Life wrote:

Good question. I have not shot with the RF lens, but have used the Fuji quite a bit. The Fuji is a really nice little lens with very good image quality. It is a fantastic general purpose lens that works equally well for photos or video. From the sample I have seen, the RF lens has some soft corners with quite a bit of vignetting.

Realistically, I am not sure either lens is ideal for landscapes. The Fuji lens has really nice optics, but only goes to an equivalent of 27mm wide. The Canon lens has a more desirable 24mm wide end, but appears to lack the corner to corner quality you would want for landscapes. In either case, I think you would need an additional lens to augment one of these standard zooms for landscape use.

Current rumors are listing a consumer level wide angle 18-45mm lens for the RF mount coming in 2021. This could be the modern discount version of the EF 17-40mm lens and might be a nice compact landscape lens. You could also adapt the excellent EF 16-35mm f/4 IS L to the RP.

With Fuji, there is the 14mm f/2.8 (21mm equivalent) prime that pairs perfectly with the 18-55mm f/2.8-4.0 as both Fuji lenses share the same size filter and the same lens hood. Another Fuji option is the existing 10-24mm f/4 zoom. Finally, there is the Fuji 16-80mm f/4 lens, but initial reviews sound like it might be better for general purpose/travel use than landscapes.

the L of the RF 24-105 f4 is sharp wide open across the frame and the IQ is remarkable

it's my landscape lens

I'll join it with hopefully a new rf 15-35 f4 L or the old ef 16-35 f4 IS L

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Son of Thunder
Son of Thunder Contributing Member • Posts: 664

Zen4Life wrote:

Wouldn't price also have to not matter because each full frame lens you buy is going to cost you significantly more than EF-M lenses?

Canon doesn’t produce any pro M lenses so they are all very reasonable same thing with D-SLR’S Canon APS-C none sense the 6D came out has been near pro. When Canon and Nikon were able to break the 2,000 dollar barrier APS-C became second class.

But RF start with the big guns 28-70 f2, 24-70 2.8, 50 1.2 but then they brought the hobbyist lenses 24-240, 24-105 stm, 50 1.8 is on it way.

Son of Thunder's gear list:Son of Thunder's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M50 Canon EOS RP Canon EF-S 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 IS STM +8 more
vxcalais Regular Member • Posts: 208

EOS RP and M6ii have no comparison as a lens from the R range is the price of a M6ii body alone. They are clearly 2 different markets. Like A6### vs A7#. Yes earlier A7 models are now same or cheaper than Aps-c range but they are so completely different market wise.

vxcalais's gear list:vxcalais's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-F3 Canon EOS M6 II Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +6 more
thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,472

Son of Thunder wrote:

any pro M lenses

Pro isn't an attribute of a lens.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +17 more
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 15,459

vxcalais wrote:

EOS RP and M6ii have no comparison as a lens from the R range is the price of a M6ii body alone. They are clearly 2 different markets. Like A6### vs A7#. Yes earlier A7 models are now same or cheaper than Aps-c range but they are so completely different market wise.

cost, IQ, performance, weight

there are many factors to take in to consideration

end of last year I bought my RP for $850 and my RF 24-105 F4L for $899.  The RF 24-105 F4L is the best all-a-rounder  lens I've ever owned. There is no/zero CA in the tree limbs.   I looked at the RP as a gateway to get this incredible RF lens.

Had there been an m5ii with IBIS and a great canon m lens like a 15 - 65 f2.8 - I would have bought that instead - it would have had:

lower weight and greater performance but the IQ would be just a tad below and the price would be about the same

my impression - and it is unfortunate - canon will not develop that great zoom for the m - they want to push RF instead

the reason it is unfortunate to me is I believe small body m5ii/m50 ii with great IBIS and a great zoom without IS (to keep the weight down) is the answer to a great light weight compact solution.  Others will do it.  Why can't Canon.

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EOS RP +12 more
Sittatunga Senior Member • Posts: 2,880

MAC wrote:

vxcalais wrote:

cost, IQ, performance, weight

there are many factors to take in to consideration

end of last year I bought my RP for $850 and my RF 24-105 F4L for $899. The RF 24-105 F4L is the best all-a-rounder lens I've ever owned. There is no/zero CA in the tree limbs. I looked at the RP as a gateway to get this incredible RF lens.

Had there been an m5ii with IBIS and a great canon m lens like a 15 - 65 f2.8 - I would have bought that instead - it would have had:

lower weight and greater performance but the IQ would be just a tad below and the price would be about the same

my impression - and it is unfortunate - canon will not develop that great zoom for the m - they want to push RF instead

the reason it is unfortunate to me is I believe small body m5ii/m50 ii with great IBIS and a great zoom without IS (to keep the weight down) is the answer to a great light weight compact solution. Others will do it. Why can't Canon.

I think the problems are size and cost-effectiveness. Without exception, Canon's EF-M lenses are less than 61mm diameter. That's quite a limitation for fast zooms.

Canon's 32mm f /1.4 is a marvel and, at £440, very cost-effective compared with Olympus' £1200 equivalent 25mm f/1.2. But even the bigger and cheaper Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is more than three times the price of the slightly inferior EF 50mm f/1.8 (equivalent if you stop it down to f/2.3, which also improves is performance quite a bit, compared to wide open).

I don't think it's a question of Canon pushing RF lenses; it's more the problem of too much competition from EF lenses.

thunder storm Senior Member • Posts: 6,472

Sittatunga wrote:

I don't think it's a question of Canon pushing RF lenses; it's more the problem of too much competition from EF lenses.

Not sure if this is the case so much with the 50mm stm, but in general:  Yes, that is competition for M, especially the second hand glass.  Accepting more weight and a bigger size you can get way better IQ for about the same price.

-- hide signature --

EF glass = bang for my buck

thunder storm's gear list:thunder storm's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 35-80mm f/4.0-5.6 III +17 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads