Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Atsel
Atsel New Member • Posts: 19
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

More pixels means more lines; more lines means more line widths per pixel height

If you need an example, check this:

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/725-canon28f18apsc?start=1

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/155-canon-ef-28mm-f18-usm-test-report--review?start=1

 Atsel's gear list:Atsel's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Sony RX100 II Samsung GX-20 Fujifilm X-E1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +24 more
baobob
baobob Forum Pro • Posts: 15,336
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)
3

Indeed but then comparing the figures does not make sense.

-- hide signature --

Good judgment comes from experience
Experience comes from bad judgment

 baobob's gear list:baobob's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus Tough TG-4 Panasonic ZS200 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T3 +10 more
loseseeker Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)
1

Rmcp20 wrote:

Not that buying a Fuji f2 or 1.4 is a mistake, it isn't, i have na 23mm f2 myself, its just that thinking about someone buying something that does the job cheaper then what we spent makes us angry...Actually thats something funny.

Well said. I'm one guilty of that. When viltrox released the 33f1.4, I'm thinking of selling my more expensive XF35f1.4. However consider the fact that, a used XF35 price isn't that much different compare to the new Viltrox 33mm, i've decided I will just keep the 35. Ever since, I'm hoping to see more 'con' in every other review of the viltrox 33 to justify my decision to keep the XF35. And also, to convince myself, I will always tell myself that the XF35 has 'magic' . On top of that, the viltrox lens design is ugly and bigger. I really like how small and better looking design of the XF35 despite the slower and noisy autofocus motor.

Myself i will just wait for the Tokina 23mm f1.4 to see is coatings or glass elements are diferent from the Viltrox. Also it depends on the price Tokina will ask.

If its the same but more expensive (tokina branding costs), then i will buy the Viltrox, as i don't even consider spending $800 or more in a 23mm lens, but for $300 or $330 im fine with that.

I"m thinking the same as regard to the Tokina Vs Viltrox. From what I've read about both their 85f1.8 offerings, it seems to be same lens with slightly different outer appearance only. And I'm also with you about not willing to spend $800 in a 23mm lens, especially for the fact that, the viltrox has a better center sharpness at f1.4 than the XF23, which is what I've intended to use most of the time.

thomaslux
thomaslux Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)
1

I can understand Fuji fans being defensive when they participate in Fuji vs Third Party lens discussions. Everyone wants to defend their own investments, after all.

Personally I think the Viltrox 85mm 1.8 is one of the best lens options for Fuji out there at the moment. For me, it's a specialised focal length that doesn't get a lot of use so the value proposition of spending big on the Fuji 90mm vs the Viltrox 85mm favours the Viltrox, depending on how much you value any perceived advantages that Fuji has vs the extra cost you need to pay.

That said, the Fuji lenses I use suit me down to the ground - I've always had a great experience with Fuji glass and I'll keep using it as my first option in the majority of cases. This isn't an objective measurement of their performance, it's just that they work for me and I find them good value for their cost vs my assessment of their quality.

My short time shooting with the Viltrox 23mm I found it a perfectly adequate lens, but I was very keen to get back to my Fuji 23mm once I was done with it.

I hope third party manufacturers make great glass for Fuji, it's a benefit to the system, not a challenge we need to react defensively to.

 thomaslux's gear list:thomaslux's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
OP Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Atsel wrote:

More pixels means more lines; more lines means more line widths per pixel height

If you need an example, check this:

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/725-canon28f18apsc?start=1

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/155-canon-ef-28mm-f18-usm-test-report--review?start=1

Well i don't think you're wrong, but imatest says it doesn't matter, so….

 Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
debo Senior Member • Posts: 2,615
Quick comparison

I did a quick comparison of the f/1.4 lenseS on the other Viltrox thread https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64055486

 debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
unhappymeal Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Cagey75 wrote:

I stopped reading their all-over-the-place 'reviews' long ago, I've seen them give some excellent lenses [in mine and many other's experience] 2.5 - 3 stars and some really so-so lenses 3.5+ Consistency is certainly not their strong point.

The only reason I wouldn't buy the Viltrox pair 23/33 is because the close focus capabilities are poor. Otherwise, other reviewers have shown that for example the 33mm 1.4 is sharper at ever aperture up to 5.6 than the Fuji 35 1.4, it is also silent and much quicker to focus. It's got everything [bar WR, which is insignificant to me tbh] else covered inc a very attractive price.

It doesn't have everything: correction profiles are only available in Lightroom/Photoshop :). That would drive me crazy as I use CaptureOne.

HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,512
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

unhappymeal wrote:

Cagey75 wrote:

I stopped reading their all-over-the-place 'reviews' long ago, I've seen them give some excellent lenses [in mine and many other's experience] 2.5 - 3 stars and some really so-so lenses 3.5+ Consistency is certainly not their strong point.

The only reason I wouldn't buy the Viltrox pair 23/33 is because the close focus capabilities are poor. Otherwise, other reviewers have shown that for example the 33mm 1.4 is sharper at ever aperture up to 5.6 than the Fuji 35 1.4, it is also silent and much quicker to focus. It's got everything [bar WR, which is insignificant to me tbh] else covered inc a very attractive price.

It doesn't have everything: correction profiles are only available in Lightroom/Photoshop :). That would drive me crazy as I use CaptureOne.

Doesn’t captureOne let you create your own correction profiles? Honest question. I thought all professional raw development software allowed this.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
JohnS59 Regular Member • Posts: 440
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

baobob wrote:

A big mistake : not tested with the same sensor and same resolution ...

So figures are just not comparable

At the moment I only trust the Lensrentals reviews because two mean reasons:

1. There measurements are not dependent on any sensor or camera

2. They typically test at least 10 samples of the same lens (which is important because sample variation can be quite significant)

Unfortunately they have not test much Fuji gear, mainly because Fujifilm is not so popular by professionals who rent gear from them.

Other reviews may interesting to read and give some indication about performance but probably can't be used to compare results as is done too often. At least it's not wise to make a purchase decision based on such a review alone.

John.

 JohnS59's gear list:JohnS59's gear list
Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro +7 more
Holden75 Regular Member • Posts: 295
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Rmcp20 wrote:

Atsel wrote:

More pixels means more lines; more lines means more line widths per pixel height

If you need an example, check this:

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/725-canon28f18apsc?start=1

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/155-canon-ef-28mm-f18-usm-test-report--review?start=1

Well i don't think you're wrong, but imatest says it doesn't matter, so….

Do they? Clearly sensor size/pixel density matters when it comes to results. Any test result is the product of an interaction between the lens and the sensor. The 90 was tested on the 16mp sensor and but the Viltrox 23 has higher scores for some of the results. The 90 will outperform the Viltrox 23 if done in the same sensor. It is the reason why opticallimits has tested lenses on the same sensor to be able to compare. Now they have moved to a larger sensor you can't compare between the two sets of results.

Look at the results for the Sony e mount 16/2.8 on the 14mp sensor https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/542-sony16f28nex?start=1 and the 24mp sensor https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/728-sony16f28nex7?start=1 . Same lens different sensor size, massively different results.

You can't compare these numbers.

 Holden75's gear list:Holden75's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
OP Rmcp20 Senior Member • Posts: 1,350
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Holden75 wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

Atsel wrote:

More pixels means more lines; more lines means more line widths per pixel height

If you need an example, check this:

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/725-canon28f18apsc?start=1

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/155-canon-ef-28mm-f18-usm-test-report--review?start=1

Well i don't think you're wrong, but imatest says it doesn't matter, so….

Do they? Clearly sensor size/pixel density matters when it comes to results. Any test result is the product of an interaction between the lens and the sensor. The 90 was tested on the 16mp sensor and but the Viltrox 23 has higher scores for some of the results. The 90 will outperform the Viltrox 23 if done in the same sensor. It is the reason why opticallimits has tested lenses on the same sensor to be able to compare. Now they have moved to a larger sensor you can't compare between the two sets of results.

Look at the results for the Sony e mount 16/2.8 on the 14mp sensor https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/542-sony16f28nex?start=1 and the 24mp sensor https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/728-sony16f28nex7?start=1 . Same lens different sensor size, massively different results.

You can't compare these numbers.

That comparison of the Sony 16mm 2.8 on 24mp and 14mp sensors is actually very good. It shows that in the middle where the lens is more capable, aditional pixel density improve the results, because there the lens can handle them.

However, in the corners the results are much worst with a 24mp sensor, because the lens is not really capable there, it falls apart even at 14mp.

 Rmcp20's gear list:Rmcp20's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +2 more
unhappymeal Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

HatWearingFool wrote:

unhappymeal wrote:

Cagey75 wrote:

I stopped reading their all-over-the-place 'reviews' long ago, I've seen them give some excellent lenses [in mine and many other's experience] 2.5 - 3 stars and some really so-so lenses 3.5+ Consistency is certainly not their strong point.

The only reason I wouldn't buy the Viltrox pair 23/33 is because the close focus capabilities are poor. Otherwise, other reviewers have shown that for example the 33mm 1.4 is sharper at ever aperture up to 5.6 than the Fuji 35 1.4, it is also silent and much quicker to focus. It's got everything [bar WR, which is insignificant to me tbh] else covered inc a very attractive price.

It doesn't have everything: correction profiles are only available in Lightroom/Photoshop :). That would drive me crazy as I use CaptureOne.

Doesn’t captureOne let you create your own correction profiles? Honest question. I thought all professional raw development software allowed this.

It does, but it's nice when the manufacture supplies it.

Holden75 Regular Member • Posts: 295
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)
1

Rmcp20 wrote:

Holden75 wrote:

Rmcp20 wrote:

Atsel wrote:

More pixels means more lines; more lines means more line widths per pixel height

If you need an example, check this:

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/725-canon28f18apsc?start=1

https://www.opticallimits.com/canon-eos/155-canon-ef-28mm-f18-usm-test-report--review?start=1

Well i don't think you're wrong, but imatest says it doesn't matter, so….

Do they? Clearly sensor size/pixel density matters when it comes to results. Any test result is the product of an interaction between the lens and the sensor. The 90 was tested on the 16mp sensor and but the Viltrox 23 has higher scores for some of the results. The 90 will outperform the Viltrox 23 if done in the same sensor. It is the reason why opticallimits has tested lenses on the same sensor to be able to compare. Now they have moved to a larger sensor you can't compare between the two sets of results.

Look at the results for the Sony e mount 16/2.8 on the 14mp sensor https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/542-sony16f28nex?start=1 and the 24mp sensor https://www.opticallimits.com/sony-alpha-aps-c-lens-tests/728-sony16f28nex7?start=1 . Same lens different sensor size, massively different results.

You can't compare these numbers.

That comparison of the Sony 16mm 2.8 on 24mp and 14mp sensors is actually very good. It shows that in the middle where the lens is more capable, aditional pixel density improve the results, because there the lens can handle them.

However, in the corners the results are much worst with a 24mp sensor, because the lens is not really capable there, it falls apart even at 14mp.

It suggests we can't really know what the Viltrox would be like on a 12mp sensor or the Fuji on the 24/26mp sensor. So we have to wait for the test results - or not and just enjoy what we have!

 Holden75's gear list:Holden75's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
unhappymeal Contributing Member • Posts: 741
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

I ended up returning mine. The corner sharpness wasn't an issue, but the focus moving/miss issues are real.

Spazmaster Regular Member • Posts: 214
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Mine went back as well, to bad

 Spazmaster's gear list:Spazmaster's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +2 more
thomaslux
thomaslux Regular Member • Posts: 344
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

Spazmaster wrote:

Mine went back as well, to bad

I think Viltrox could really fill a gap for making more affordable, capable lenses for Fuji - but I think there might be a ways to go in terms of quality control.

 thomaslux's gear list:thomaslux's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more
Holden75 Regular Member • Posts: 295
Re: Viltrox 23mm 1.4 - About optical limits review (not just reading the final rating)

This video https://youtu.be/y48MjvMaCo8 is useful

 Holden75's gear list:Holden75's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads