Does anyone know what type USB plug Oly E-M10 Mk II uses?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
excitron New Member • Posts: 22
Does anyone know what type USB plug Oly E-M10 Mk II uses?

I'm setting up a rig to try and control my E-M10 Mk II from a computer, and I want to have a short (~1ft) USB cable to plug into the computer. The cable that comes with the camera is too long.

Does anyone know what type plug that is, and/or if there are any readily available short cables like that?

Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rb61 Regular Member • Posts: 369
Re: Does anyone know what type USB plug Oly E-M10 Mk II uses?

I think this is what you are looking for:

Olympus USB-A Male to USB Mini-B (5-pin) Male

rb61's gear list:rb61's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +3 more
jfiresto Junior Member • Posts: 46

According to the instructions, the Mk II uses the proprietary(?), Olympus, 12-pin multi-connector. I can offer some tips should you decide to make your own cable. I would try to find a pre-made cable.

jfiresto's gear list:jfiresto's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus E-PL7
Bob Carstens Contributing Member • Posts: 807

Not sure you can control the EM10ii via a cable.  On the computer the only way I've found so far is the Camera Control program talked about in various threads on dpreview.  From my iPhone/iPad I can use either O.I. Share or Cascable apps. but all these use wifi.  Would be interested in a method to do this with a cable.

-- hide signature --

Bob Carstens

Bob Carstens's gear list:Bob Carstens's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +3 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 26,875

Bob Carstens wrote:

Not sure you can control the EM10ii via a cable. On the computer the only way I've found so far is the Camera Control program talked about in various threads on dpreview. From my iPhone/iPad I can use either O.I. Share or Cascable apps. but all these use wifi. Would be interested in a method to do this with a cable.

Fully control with a cable, is impossible, as I believe Olympus does not provide the firmware to Camera Capture. According to the Olympus USA capture website the compatible cameras are:

• OM-D E-M1X
  • OM-D E-M1 Mark III
  • OM-D E-M1 Mark II
  • OM-D E-M1 F/W version 2.0 or later
  • OM-D E-M5 Mark II

But if you just want to use a remote shutter release that is possible.  You can get various RM-UC1 clones on the inter-tubes (RM-UC1 is the Olympus official cable for shutter release).

This link: Camera remote pinouts shows the pinouts of most cameras to make shutter release ables.

If you are going to make your own shutter release (for example, connecting it to an Arduino), it may be simpler to buy a pre-made cable.  Some of the third party shutter releases use a common shutter release shell (either wired or wireless), and a camera specific cable that connects the camera to the shutter release shell.  You could connect the three pins to your own setup.  For example, this JJC cable has the 12 pin Olympus cable on one side, and a 3 pin audio 2.5mm cable on the other.

For example, in 2012, I made a telegraph key act as a shutter release.  The Arduino would connect the focus and ground pins while the telegraph key was held down (i.e. tell the camera to achieve a focus lock).  When you released it, the Arduino would briefly connect both the focus and fire pins to ground to tell the camera to take the picture, and then release both pins.  When the pins were released, it would echo in Morse code "Fire" on the buzzer.

Arduino telegraph shutter release key

Detail of the Arduino telegraph key shutter release

Arduino Telegraph key pinout

While I made it for my steampunk camera setup, I haven't really used it that much.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
Bob Carstens Contributing Member • Posts: 807

Well done Michael, I always enjoy your contributions to these threads. You bring out the “ham” in me. 
dit-dit-dah-dit, dit-dit, dit-dah-dit, dit

Regards

-- hide signature --

Bob Carstens

Bob Carstens's gear list:Bob Carstens's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital 35mm 1:3.5 Macro +3 more

Michael Meissner wrote:

For example, in 2012, I made a telegraph key act as a shutter release. The Arduino would connect the focus and ground pins while the telegraph key was held down (i.e. tell the camera to achieve a focus lock). When you released it, the Arduino would briefly connect both the focus and fire pins to ground to tell the camera to take the picture....

I have a push button assert focus while you press the button, and for another second after you release it. The button fires the shutter should you press the button again within the second.

Should the Arduino sound off FIRING or FIRED? I might panic if I heard FIRE.

Michael Meissner

jfiresto wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:

For example, in 2012, I made a telegraph key act as a shutter release. The Arduino would connect the focus and ground pins while the telegraph key was held down (i.e. tell the camera to achieve a focus lock). When you released it, the Arduino would briefly connect both the focus and fire pins to ground to tell the camera to take the picture....

I have a push button assert focus while you press the button, and for another second after you release it. The button fires the shutter should you press the button again within the second.

That would work also, but not having to press the button a second time generally works with the way I shoot my camera.

In general though, I don't use the Arduino that much, but I keep thinking I should bring it back.  When the steampunk camera was the E-3/E-5, I put a RM-CB1 underneath the telegraph key, and I could focus/shoot by pushing the key down.

One issue is some of the steampunk events are outdoors, and we have had rain in several of them (torrential rain in several).  Using the Olympus splash proof cameras + splash proof lenses works great, but I would need to protect the micro-processor from rain.

I used "Fire", but it is a string that is easy to change.

Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 Olympus 14-150 F4-5.6 II +22 more
JacquesC
JacquesC Veteran Member • Posts: 4,070
.._. _...

..._  _.__    __.  .._  _..

-- hide signature --

Jacques
apple-and-eve.com

OP excitron New Member • Posts: 22

Thanks for your replies. The only controls I need are remote triggering and shutter control. The camera will be part of an astrophotography setup, connected to a Pi 4 computer running Astroberry. I am going to try to see if I can get a generic INDI driver to control the Oly's exposures via Ekos and PHD2 . Failing that, I will get a wireless intervalometer , which apparently has the correct connecting USB head for the E-M10 Mk II.
I highly doubt that USB plug is proprietary, it's just non-standard. So I need to find out what USB version it is, and hope I can find something about .5-1 ft long to connect from the Oly to the Pi that will be right next to it.

Michael Meissner

excitron wrote:

Thanks for your replies. The only controls I need are remote triggering and shutter control. The camera will be part of an astrophotography setup, connected to a Pi 4 computer running Astroberry. I am going to try to see if I can get a generic INDI driver to control the Oly's exposures via Ekos and PHD2 . Failing that, I will get a wireless intervalometer , which apparently has the correct connecting USB head for the E-M10 Mk II.
I highly doubt that USB plug is proprietary, it's just non-standard. So I need to find out what USB version it is, and hope I can find something about .5-1 ft long to connect from the Oly to the Pi that will be right next to it.

I clipped this link from 4-5 years ago. Olympus had documented the protocol for connecting an Olympus AIR A01 camera, and provided sample Android/Iphone apps to control the AIR A01. I believe it uses the same protocol these days. Somebody wrote a python script to connect to it:

The documentation and APK's are no longer on the Olympus site. I'll send you a private mail with the location of the zip file with the documentation and APK's. I never used this information.

The plug that Olympus used for most of the later DSLR's (starting with the E-500, but not the E-3/E-5), and the Pens/OM-Ds is an Olympus specific cable with 12 pins. It is not a standard USB cable.  Sure, you can connect 4 of the pins (ground, 5v, D-, D+) to a standard USB-2 cable to get a USB cable.
Some people made cable mods to bring out USB, audio/video, and shutter release all at the same time.  For awhile, Olympus sold a Y-cable, which provided USB and video for use with their software at the time for the E-x cameras.  You would connect the camera to the computer with the USB cable, and you would use a frame grabber on the computer to display the video (since USB-2 is too slow for video), but unfortunately they did not include a shutter release connection.

For a time there were also remote units that combined shutter release and video.  I have two of those units somewhere.  I should try it out on the E-m10 mark II.  I suspect that once Olympus started enabling live view via HDMI they dropped the old analog video live view.

Starting with the E-m1 mark II and E-m10 mark III, the USB cable that connects with the cameras is now either USB micro-B (E-m10 mark III, E-m5 mark III, E-PL10, maybe E-PL9) or USB-C (E-m1 mark II/III, E-m1x).

Michael Meissner

And here is a Raspberry PI camera control link that I clipped:

Do you know of any sources for the bare, Olympus 12-pin multiconnector?

I have been cannibalizing them from third-party CB-USB6 data transfer cables.

techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,140
Raspberry pi? It could do it with wifi

excitron wrote:

Using a Pi? Try it with wifi. When you connect a laptop to the cameras wifi, this command

http://192.168.0.10/get_commandlist.cgi

tells you which commands the camera supports. Then it's a matter of working out how to parameterize those.

Example: This lists the main image directory:

http://192.168.0.10/get_imglist.cgi?DIR=/DCIM/100OLYMP

here's a way to retrieve a specific file:

http://192.168.0.10/get_screennail.cgi?DIR=/DCIM/100OLYMP/PB170091.ORF

I have not yet tried to get it to take a photo, but this looks like the place to start:

</cgi>
<cgi name="exec_shutter">
<http_method type="get">
<cmd1 name="com">
<param1 name="1stpush"/>
<param1 name="2ndpush"/>
<param1 name="1st2ndpush"/>
<param1 name="2nd1strelease"/>
<param1 name="2ndrelease"/>
<param1 name="1strelease"/>
</cmd1>
</http_method>
</cgi>

-- hide signature --

You don't need a new camera, you need a new lens.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
Michael Meissner

jfiresto wrote:

No, that has been a complaint over the years, that is no source of the bare cable, and many of the third party shutter releases fill the other holes with epoxy.

Michael Meissner
PlayOPC (more wifi control software)

I found this via a goggle search (I was looking to see if there was a version of the PDF file that documented the protocol).

It looks like it has been updated more recently than the others. I don't know anything else about it:

Evidently, it is the source for the PlayOPC app in the Apple i-store.

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,716

jfiresto wrote:

Michael Meissner wrote:

Perhaps the Arduino should borrow from the days of Royal Navy battleships, where the command was "Shoot". "Fire" was reserved for reporting a conflagration, often as a consequence of enemy shells hitting the ship.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,716

jfiresto wrote:

I looked hard several times, over the years, and never found a source of bare connectors. Like you I resorted to cutting down cheap third party "Olympus  USB" cables. Thankfully the newer Olympus cameras use standard USB connectors.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter
'Keep taking the photos'

Michael Meissner
Re: Raspberry pi? It could do it with wifi

techie takes pics wrote:

excitron wrote:

Using a Pi? Try it with wifi. When you connect a laptop to the cameras wifi, this command

http://192.168.0.10/get_commandlist.cgi

tells you which commands the camera supports. Then it's a matter of working out how to parameterize those.

Example: This lists the main image directory:

http://192.168.0.10/get_imglist.cgi?DIR=/DCIM/100OLYMP

here's a way to retrieve a specific file:

http://192.168.0.10/get_screennail.cgi?DIR=/DCIM/100OLYMP/PB170091.ORF

I have not yet tried to get it to take a photo, but this looks like the place to start:

</cgi>
<cgi name="exec_shutter">
<http_method type="get">
<cmd1 name="com">
<param1 name="1stpush"/>
<param1 name="2ndpush"/>
<param1 name="1st2ndpush"/>
<param1 name="2nd1strelease"/>
<param1 name="2ndrelease"/>
<param1 name="1strelease"/>
</cmd1>
</http_method>
</cgi>

In the OPC manual that was released with the Olympus AIR A01, there is no exec_shutter command. Presumably it has been added in newer cameras.

On pages 78-79, the exec_takemotion.cgi command is described. There are 3 sub-commands:

• com (required)
  • point (set up focus point)
  • upperlimit (# of continuous pictures to take)

The com sub-command has 4 options:

• newstarttake - start shooting photo
  • newstoptake - stop shooting photo
  • newstartmovietake - start shooting video
  • newstopmovietake - stop shooting video

One problem with Olympus wifi control is the Olympus camera wants to be the wifi master.  You might need to establish the Pi to be on two separate wifi networks, one for normal processing and the other to talk to the camera.

Michael Meissner

Peter 1745 wrote:

Perhaps the Arduino should borrow from the days of Royal Navy battleships, where the command was "Shoot". "Fire" was reserved for reporting a conflagration, often as a consequence of enemy shells hitting the ship.

Since "fire" is what I use, and I wrote the sketch for my own amusement, fire is what I use.  As I said, it is easily changed in the source.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads