Started 3 months ago | Discussions
IsaacImage
IsaacImage Regular Member • Posts: 263
Shanon - Toronto Portrait session - Fuji GFX 100 + 110mm

-- hide signature --

www.isaacimage.com

IsaacImage's gear list:IsaacImage's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 17,870
Re: Shanon - Toronto Portrait session - Fuji GFX 100 + 110mm

Very nice. I like # 1 the best.

IsaacImage wrote:

-- hide signature --

Once you've done fifty, anything less is iffy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a7R IV Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW +11 more
IsaacImage
OP IsaacImage Regular Member • Posts: 263

Rick Knepper wrote:

Very nice. I like # 1 the best.

IsaacImage wrote:

Thank you Rick

-- hide signature --

www.isaacimage.com

Canon EOS-1D X Nikon D800E Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +14 more
Greg7579
Greg7579 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,836

Very nice!  Love that first one and the last one is very unusual.  That whole OOF car fills the lower right frame and even the hands are blurred - but her face and eyes are so very sharp....

-- hide signature --
 Greg7579's gear list:Greg7579's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
IsaacImage

Greg7579 wrote:

Very nice! Love that first one and the last one is very unusual. That whole OOF car fills the lower right frame and even the hands are blurred - but her face and eyes are so very sharp....

Thank you Greg

The sharpness is definitely there

-- hide signature --

www.isaacimage.com

JackHa2006 New Member • Posts: 11

Nice.  Is that the Distillery District?

IsaacImage

JackHa2006 wrote:

Nice. Is that the Distillery District?

It is

-- hide signature --

www.isaacimage.com

EmmaNems Regular Member • Posts: 225
All I see in the first two is that unfortunate corporate logo

These all raise the question of whether the portrait is of the woman, the rusty truck or the Puma logo. As a whole; it's a swing and a miss. There is so much in competition with her face. The lack of anything going on with her eyes is a sad failure. Portraits are all about eyes and fleeting expression. The broad, flat light doesn't help.

Greg7579
Re: All I see in the first two is that unfortunate corporate logo

EmmaNems wrote:

These all raise the question of whether the portrait is of the woman, the rusty truck or the Puma logo. As a whole; it's a swing and a miss. There is so much in competition with her face. The lack of anything going on with her eyes is a sad failure. Portraits are all about eyes and fleeting expression. The broad, flat light doesn't help.

Emma, you portrait pros are brutal.  I mean brutal.  I have a really good friend in San Antonio who was one of the best portrait artists in Texas for 25 years.  She was always asked to judge portrait work and she would absolutely rip every shot apart that she judged.

You guys are hard....  That is why I'm afraid to take pictures of people.  😁

-- hide signature --
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 32-64mm F4 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro +6 more
Greg7579

Greg7579 wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

Emma, you portrait pros are brutal. I mean brutal. I have a really good friend in San Antonio who was one of the best portrait artists in Texas for 25 years. She was always asked to judge portrait work and she would absolutely rip every shot apart that she judged.

You guys are hard.... That is why I'm afraid to take pictures of people. 😁

You got me curious so I just looked at your last 40 posts.  Good Lord Woman … you are tough!  You are ripping apart everybody.

Who are you?  You must be good.

Look … I like it.  Take 5 minutes and look at my Flickr.  Throw a few insults my way.

I occasionally need it to keep me on my toes.

-- hide signature --
EmmaNems Regular Member • Posts: 225

Greg7579 wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

Emma, you portrait pros are brutal. I mean brutal. I have a really good friend in San Antonio who was one of the best portrait artists in Texas for 25 years. She was always asked to judge portrait work and she would absolutely rip every shot apart that she judged.

I'm not a portrait pro, but on the rare occasion when I do one, I try hard. There are a lot of factors to doing them well. Regardless of critiques, you shouldn't be afraid. My approach for my work is to constantly learn and improve. I don't think the people who say everything is great actually help anyone.

ducatista Regular Member • Posts: 154

Very nice photos, was that taken in the distillery area?

IsaacImage

ducatista wrote:

Very nice photos, was that taken in the distillery area?

Thank you - Yes

-- hide signature --

www.isaacimage.com

roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849

Greg7579 wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

But I think in this case she is right... I'd say the first image is good but in the others there is too much that distract attention. The only comment I'd disagree with is about the eyes: I do not find them lifeless.

By the by take my comments with a healthy pinch of salt: I am not a portrait photographer (let alone pro) as I prefer full body images for my fashion shoots... I do portraits all the time for the sake of the models and of the stylists

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +12 more
Greg7579

roby17269 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

But I think in this case she is right... I'd say the first image is good but in the others there is too much that distract attention. The only comment I'd disagree with is about the eyes: I do not find them lifeless.

By the by take my comments with a healthy pinch of salt: I am not a portrait photographer (let alone pro) as I prefer full body images for my fashion shoots... I do portraits all the time for the sake of the models and of the stylists

Roby, you are pretty good.  I say you are a portrait guy.

-- hide signature --
roby17269
roby17269 Senior Member • Posts: 1,849

Greg7579 wrote:

roby17269 wrote:

Greg7579 wrote:

EmmaNems wrote:

Roby, you are pretty good. I say you are a portrait guy.

thank you Greg

But I consider myself a non-pro fashion photographer... apart from a couple of beauty shoots that I was coerced into in a friendly way, I only do portraits opportunistically (of models for them and stylists, and of my daughter for me and the rest of the family) ... they mostly just happen to me

When I do portraits I do close in though

-- hide signature --

Ciao!
Roberto
My photos: http://rdmfashionphoto.com/

roby17269's gear list:roby17269's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads