D300 bodies at rock bottom prices -

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 8,652
D300 bodies at rock bottom prices -

Just a heads up for anybody looking for a beginner camera or extra body, Adorama has 3 Nikon D300 bodies in G condition for $79 each. I still have mine or i would buy one, that's an old camera but it has fairly modern features other than the 12mp sensor. AF is still better than many ML, battery life is amazing, nice OVF, full auto ISO system, it's a nice little camera for dirt cheap.

Some of my favorite photos were taken with this camera. In case anybody is looking for a bargain, cheers.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +8 more
Nikon D300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
EricK214 Regular Member • Posts: 441
Re: D300 bodies at rock bottom prices -

Max Iso wrote:

Just a heads up for anybody looking for a beginner camera or extra body, Adorama has 3 Nikon D300 bodies in G condition for $79 each. I still have mine or i would buy one, that's an old camera but it has fairly modern features other than the 12mp sensor. AF is still better than many ML, battery life is amazing, nice OVF, full auto ISO system, it's a nice little camera for dirt cheap.

Some of my favorite photos were taken with this camera. In case anybody is looking for a bargain, cheers.

Holy cow that's really cheap! I just sold a mint D90 with 5500 shutter count for a lot more than that

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +3 more
Robert Cohen
Robert Cohen Veteran Member • Posts: 4,257

That's a heck of a good price for a darned good camera.  Yes, I have more recent DSLRs but I still use my D300.  And no one has ever looked at one of my D300 photos and said "ugh, pity you didn't use a more recent camera."

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Robert Cohen's gear list:Robert Cohen's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more
Max Iso
OP Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 8,652

Robert Cohen wrote:

That's a heck of a good price for a darned good camera. Yes, I have more recent DSLRs but I still use my D300. And no one has ever looked at one of my D300 photos and said "ugh, pity you didn't use a more recent camera."

Exactly. The only real limitations for me are i have to frame better as i can't crop as much, and ISO 1600 is about my limit, maybe 3200 in a pinch (compared to newer apsc i have owned). It just shows how good DSLRs already were way back in the 2000s.

Incidentally a few days ago i was out with my little ones at a nearby waterway and young couple showed up with a camera. They had a Canon Rebel and 75-300 kit zoom, turns out they were brother and sis, the camera was the sister's and they were complete beginners.

I ended up talking to them for a half hour and found the young man was also planning to buy an ILC and asked me my opinion for a starter. Funny thing was he asked if a D300 was a good place to start, to which i replied yes i actually have one (had my M50 on me that day). He said he had about a $500 limit so he will have plenty of cash for some cheap glass if he finds this $79 deal.

They couldn't have been in their 20s even, it was refreshing seeing some kids breaking away from the mobile crowd. Smart kids.

-- hide signature --

"You taught me hate, I'll teach you fear" -

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D300 Olympus E-M1 II Canon EOS M50 Canon EF 100mm f/2.0 USM Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +8 more
David Lal Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160
Absolutely!

Max Iso wrote:

They couldn't have been in their 20s even, it was refreshing seeing some kids breaking away from the mobile crowd. Smart kids.

I have a D750 but I still have my D300. At present it has a Nik 200-500 more or less permanently attached to it. Great camera! Just not the one to use in low light conditions.

Dweeble Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: Absolutely!

Us D300 cheapskatesconnessieurs should start a D300 Enthusiasts Club........we can bore everyone to death about how good they really are Kinda like the Morris Marina Enthusiasts Club, although that's very much a UK-centric reference. If you have never met a Morris Marina Google away, and then weep. Actually they were far better (OK a little better) than people think, I used to drive one round Silverstone (not very fast to be fair).

Dweeble's gear list:Dweeble's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Robert Cohen

As I was reading your post I was thinking that Morris Marina was a place.  Then it dawned on me you were talking about a car. 

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +5 more

Robert Cohen wrote:

As I was reading your post I was thinking that Morris Marina was a place. Then it dawned on me you were talking about a car.

That's funny Bob!

This one really could confuse you though. It's a place in Kent, UK, close to where I once lived:

D300; Nik 16-85

Village: Eynsford; vehicle: Ford Transit; Activity: ford transit!

That is a pun which caused me physical pain

Nikon D300 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +2 more
Jon in Thailand
Jon in Thailand Regular Member • Posts: 360
Re: -- Been Using A D300 For 12 Years Now --

In fact I have three D300 cameras and use them

constantly in a wet, humid,  dangerous jungle.

And that's almost used everyday rain or shine.

-- hide signature --

-- Rescued Jungle Dog --

-- Rescued Jungle Dog --

-- Rescued Jungle Dog, D300 17-55 2.8 --

-- Rescued Jungle Dog, D300, 17-55 2.8 --

Robert Cohen

Cute.  Ford squared!

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Must admit I quite like the car analogy! What do you reckon the actual D300 equivalent is? I'm tempted to say Golf/Rabbit MK2 Gti. Well-built, solid, comfortable, reliable, great performance when new and still capable of turning in good results now in the right hands....

And what about a camera Morris Marina? Seriously ugly, wildly unreliable but easy to fix, was never remotely class-leading when new but managed to turn out kinda decent pictures and somehow inspired affection in a few?

Ruekon Senior Member • Posts: 1,576

Dweeble wrote:

Must admit I quite like the car analogy! What do you reckon the actual D300 equivalent is? I'm tempted to say Golf/Rabbit MK2 Gti. Well-built, solid, comfortable, reliable, great performance when new and still capable of turning in good results now in the right hands....

And what about a camera Morris Marina? Seriously ugly, wildly unreliable but easy to fix, was never remotely class-leading when new but managed to turn out kinda decent pictures and somehow inspired affection in a few?

I like to compare Nikon with BMW: well engineered up to the last detail, focus on performance, reliable, and spreading sheer driving pleasure in everyday use.

Of course a good old six cylinder can't compete with modern injection engines anymore, not speaking of upcoming electric cars, but the joy remains.

Ruekon's gear list:Ruekon's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +3 more
Audi TT 3.2litre

Ruekon wrote:

Of course a good old six cylinder can't compete with modern injection engines anymore, not speaking of upcoming electric cars, but the joy remains.

Well, getting seriously off-topic now, I suppose, but my 4-wheel drive Audi TT 3.2litre, 6 cylinder is quite a pokey machine in the UK. Twelve years old now, great bang for the buck, good in snow or rain and was not all that costly secondhand - similar to my ageing Nik D300 maybe?

EricK214 Regular Member • Posts: 441

BMW does NOT equate to reliable :-). They have recurring and fairly frequent electrical issues. This is known and I have a dozen friends who own a BMW ranging from 1994 to a 2019 and all of them have had theirs in for electrical issues at least once.

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +3 more

EricK214 wrote:

BMW does NOT equate to reliable :-). They have recurring and fairly frequent electrical issues. This is known and I have a dozen friends who own a BMW ranging from 1994 to a 2019 and all of them have had theirs in for electrical issues at least once.

At least you have a dozen friends who own a BMW and who should know why

Nikon Coolpix P950 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +3 more
BMW=horrible

Ruekon wrote:

I hated my BMW of the 1990s: dreadful thing with no road-holding! I wonder what it's like to have a dozen friends?

Ruekon wrote:

EricK214 wrote:

Btw. last Winter I had a software issue with Nikon's ViewNX-i under MacOS Catalina ...

JasonN42 New Member • Posts: 17

I've been using a D300 since it came out as well. I went into my local camera shop to get a filter and walked out with an $1800 body.
I'm actually on my second since my first was stolen out of my car as I was packing for a trip. Other than wanting video capabilities and a bit more resolution and low light capability, it's still a fantastic camera. I am looking at possibly updating to a D500 in the near future, but it's been my trusty side kick for a very long time.

Robert Cohen

As you show, a good photograph is much more due to the photographer than to the equipment used.

-- hide signature --

--Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads