pen tablet for editing (general question)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
hwg Contributing Member • Posts: 691
pen tablet for editing (general question)

Hello

I’m considering switching from a mouse to a pen tablet such as the Wacom or Huion tablets for editing in Capture One software.

I have never used one before and I am confused about what is meant by the fact a pen has Tilt Recognition. +/- 60 in the specs I have seen.

What is Tilt Recognition?

Does this mean that tablets that do not have this feature need the pen to be kept vertical in order to function?

Or, does it mean that pens with this function display different effects when the pen is tilted.

I normal hold a pen at an angle, 30 or 40 degrees (I guess) so having to hold the pen vertically would defeat the purpose of using it. I can’t see it being very comfortable having to hold it vertical all the time.

Thanks

-- hide signature --

D850 & D300
Nikon: 35mm f1. 8, 50mm f1. 8, 85mm f1. 8, 105mm f2.8, 24-120mm f4
Sigma: 150-500mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM
Windows 10 Professional 64 bit, i7 quad core, 16GB RAM, SSD

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,337
Re: pen tablet for editing (general question)

The pen angle is useful when using certain brushes. In general use, the tilt will not affect your work.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more
OP hwg Contributing Member • Posts: 691

thanks

so if i get a tablet that does not have this tilt function I can still hold the pen at the normal angle i write with and the tablet will work?

it will see my movements etc.

-- hide signature --

D850 & D300

Ken Seals
Ken Seals Senior Member • Posts: 1,337

Yes. the only time tilt will work is in Photoshop when you enable it for brushes. I don't use tilt and never have. My Intuos 4 works fine in all applications at all pen angles (no tilt effect).

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Ken - LR ACE
FAA Remote Pilot Certificate, ATP ASMEL
Mizzou PJ '66
www.kenseals.com

Ken Seals's gear list:Ken Seals's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +7 more

Brilliant.

thank you.

that opens up a whole lot of tablet options for purchase.

I was only looking at tablets with the tilt option.

but I don't need that.

now all i need to decied on is which tablet

Wacom or Huion.

Maybe the Wacom will have a faster respons time and less lag.

thanks again, most hellpful.

-- hide signature --

D850 & D300

jpegman
jpegman Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

I bought a Medium and then a Small Wacom Intuous 5.

I can say the small is way more useful for a photographer as the medium required a lot of hand motion after the surface was mapped, and I found it very tiring to use!

That being said, I never really got the hang of using a tablet, and even tried to "hide" the mouse to learn the tablet, (as suggested by Users and even Wacom) but,  found it especially frustrating after several days of tablet only.

It's a whole different skill  and alas I am back to my mouse 

If you know someone who has one (or you buy a "cheapie") to try it out, you may be ahead of the game to find out if a tablet is for you!

You may want to check out Blake Rudis' (F64) video Before you buy a Tablet for Photoshop ... WATCH THIS

Good Luck !!!

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more

thanks for the link

you may be right, i may just try one of the £30 or £40 ones first and see how it goes.

i think i only need it for tricky delicate edits, which isn't very often.

generally, it's crop, straighten, expouser/olour balance tweak and tha's about it.

-- hide signature --

D850 & D300

kerpan Contributing Member • Posts: 642

Also check out the XP-Pen models -- their small (but not smallest) tablet is around $39. (I got a medium recently -- and it seems to wortk okay -- but I am just a neophyte at table use, so what do I know).

kerpan's gear list:kerpan's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +8 more
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,538

jpegman wrote:

I can say the small is way more useful for a photographer as the medium required a lot of hand motion after the surface was mapped, and I found it very tiring to use!

That being said, I never really got the hang of using a tablet, and even tried to "hide" the mouse to learn the tablet, (as suggested by Users and even Wacom) but, found it especially frustrating after several days of tablet only.

It's a whole different skill and alas I am back to my mouse

If you know someone who has one (or you buy a "cheapie") to try it out, you may be ahead of the game to find out if a tablet is for you!

You may want to check out Blake Rudis' (F64) video Before you buy a Tablet for Photoshop ... WATCH THIS

Good Luck !!!

medium vs small:

depends, if you use 2 multimonitor setup then the medium is more useful since the active area is cut in half.

For single a small one is mostly preferred but if you like to draw then the medium or even a4 ones are beter suited.

jpegman
jpegman Senior Member • Posts: 1,274

The video link I replied to hwg has Blake Rudis recommending a VP-PEN STAR G640 tablet for about $40 on amazon.

Amazon - ZP-Pen Star G640

jpegman's gear list:jpegman's gear list
Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +3 more

thanks for the link

I think I will try the g640 tablet

worth a go at that price.

-- hide signature --

D850 & D300

WDeranged Regular Member • Posts: 119

I've never been able to bond with the tablet.  I've had two, the current being a fancy wireless wacom sitting in my drawer.  I do hope one day I'll bond with it but I find that most software interfaces aren't geared towards a pen user.

It is a vastly more precise input mechanism but the extra sensitivity comes at the cost of stability.  Aiming the pen at lightroom's tiny sliders is a hassle, you're fighting against the natural shaking of your hand.  To me it feels like using a 200mm lens with no stabilisation.

This being said, people swear by them and it appears if you can stick with it the benefits are huge.

As mentioned above, get a small one for photo editing.  Most photo edits are small and you won't be making thousands of sweeping strokes like a graphic artist.  It'll save you effort and money to go smaller.

yes.

i'm going to get one of the small £30 ish models and see how it goes.

If I like it I may, if i find it has limitations for my humbble needs, as Santa for a better one.

But I don't do that much in the way of masks and stuff that may benefit from a tablet.

Just the odd time...

cropping and straigtening is fine with a mouse which is 90% of my editing, and moving sliders...

that said, it may turn out to be one of those things that once you get the hang of it you wonder how you lived without one.

I wondered what the point of a NAS was but now. Well I would never be without one now.

I also say the say about chocolate and beer

-- hide signature --

D850 & D300

davidedric Veteran Member • Posts: 6,273

hwg wrote:

yes.

i'm going to get one of the small £30 ish models and see how it goes.

If I like it I may, if i find it has limitations for my humbble needs, as Santa for a better one.

But I don't do that much in the way of masks and stuff that may benefit from a tablet.

Just the odd time...

cropping and straigtening is fine with a mouse which is 90% of my editing, and moving sliders...

that said, it may turn out to be one of those things that once you get the hang of it you wonder how you lived without one.

I wondered what the point of a NAS was but now. Well I would never be without one now.

I also say the say about chocolate and beer

I have found that some actions ae easier for me with a mouse, and some with a tablet so I use both, tablet in right hand and mouse in left.  You do need to concentrate, though!

You may already know this, but the tablet maps to the screen and not the image.  In other words, if you have fine adjustments to make, simply increase the magnification of the image.  That's one reason why a small tablet is right for me.

davidedric's gear list:davidedric's gear list
Sony RX100 VII Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Panasonic G85 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +3 more
stevie wonder
stevie wonder Senior Member • Posts: 1,140

Keep away from cheap tablets like the one Blake Rudis recomended , there useless. stick with a small Wacom.

Jestertheclown
Jestertheclown Senior Member • Posts: 2,856

jpegman wrote:

That being said, I never really got the hang of using a tablet, and even tried to "hide" the mouse to learn the tablet, (as suggested by Users and even Wacom) but, found it especially frustrating after several days of tablet only.

It's a whole different skill and alas I am back to my mouse

SAme here.

I tried but I really couldn't get on with it.

Best advice so far!

Good Luck !!!

"It's good to be . . . . . . . . . Me!"

CraigVMN Contributing Member • Posts: 757

Before deciding on a particular make/model, I would suggest going onto the forums for that model & see what issues people are having with it. I bought a used Huion and have had trouble getting the program that accompanies it to work on Windows 10, which I found out after the purchase is a common issue.

CraigVMN's gear list:CraigVMN's gear list
Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
Abbott Schindler Senior Member • Posts: 2,760

I know I'm late to this party, but maybe a little input can still help.

Capture One doesn't support tilt recognition afaik. I've been using C1 with Wacom tablets for years and all I've found is pressure sensitivity. I'm fine with that, as tilt isn't important to me.

What C1 can do with a Wacom tablet is:

- Vary brush diameter with pen pressure: the harder you press, the fatter the brush up to the diameter you set.

- Pen end and eraser end. Wacom's driver lets you assign other functions to both ends.

I haven't tried using Wacom's gestures in C1 yet as I'm not fond of gestures for editing.

I use a Medium for at-home editing and a Small on the road. Turns out that the Small's active area is almost identical size to MacBook Pro trackpads since 2016. I find that small for editing on large displays (I have a dual 27" setup at home), but fine for field editing on the MBP.

graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,806

hwg wrote:

What is Tilt Recognition?

Does this mean that tablets that do not have this feature need the pen to be kept vertical in order to function?

Or, does it mean that pens with this function display different effects when the pen is tilted.

The second one. The tilt function replicates what you get with a real world brush or pencil. Think of pencil sketching: If you draw with the pencil vertical, you get thin marks from the sharp tip. If you want to shade the drawing, you tilt the pencil to lower the angle, which draws with the broad side of the pencil lead, creating a very wide mark. A mouse cannot do that because it has no angle sensing.

Tilt is not all. In addition to pressure and tilt angle, some tablets also support stylus rotation angle. With rotation angle, you can use a flat brush in Photoshop and change the character of the brush stroke by rotating the stylus while dragging it.

Pressure, tilt, and rotation angle are for if you were trained in fine art brush/pencil handling where you need those abilities. If you are only going to use the tablet for photo retouching, you might only need Pressure, because Tilt and Rotation are not really useful for photographic work like retouching portraits or painting masks. Pressure is useful, though not necessary. And for photography you do not need the highest number of pressure levels either.

About cheap vs expensive tablets: I have used Wacom and Huion. The low end of those only support pressure, and as I said, for photographers that is enough. But the reason I still like Wacom is the quality of the software driver. The Huion, and from what I read the XP-Pen, can have flaky drivers that don't always work well with the latest OSs. I have odd issues with my Huion that I never had with my Wacoms. There are also years of valid complaints about Wacom driver quality/compatibility, but their software tends to work better overall.

But since photography does not need all advanced features like stylus tilt and rotation angles, it is still a good idea to start with a cheap tablet and see if any of the shortcomings bother you. If it works fine, then do not spend more money. For photo work, cheap tablets are fine, that is why Blake Rudis is fine with his super cheap XP-Pen tablet. Wacom is better if you want to use the tablet full time, in all applications, for all operations, instead of a mouse or trackpad; Wacom is also better if you are a fine artist drawing or painting from scratch because then the stylus tilt and rotation make a difference.

Thanks for all the advice.

I have just ordered from the birthday fairy a Wacom intuos small for 63 ukp

I will give it a go.

D850 & D300

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads