Pentax DA Primes?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JoeDaBassPlayer Veteran Member • Posts: 3,722
Re: Pentax DA Primes?

The DA21 is a great lens. There is this misconception that a good lens needs to be F2.8 of faster. This is digital, with clean ISO 3200, on up. One typically needs a wider angle lens to be stopped down to get a greater depth of field for landscape or other work.

In actual use, it is wonderful!

My main lenses are:

Samyang 10 (I stop it down to F4-5.6 and set it infinity)

DA21 ( I usually stop it down to F4 inside and scale focus it at F8 outside in the sun)

FA35/2 ( I usually need to stop it down to F4 to clean up the bokeh and get enough depth of field for closer work)

F50/1.7 (F2.8 works for portraits and nice bokeh)

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

I still end up using the DA21 more.  "Fast" is a term that some people get fixated upon. I am not shooting fast film and digital will hit you in the face if you do not stop down enough to get that depth of field even if you want a lot of OOF.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

Yep! I am not an old fashioned, nor nostalgic person. There is a lot of "older" glass out there that is world class. The Limited are pretty good! I like the 21 a lot and realize it is not just a fairly wide angle lens. A particular field of view lends itself to certain uses. At 21mm, it tends to be landscapes, groups, etc. One is typically not going to be shooting it wide open.

To be honest, I like great bokeh, but rarely shoot more open than F2.8.

Even my bokeh master DAL50-200 gets stopped down to F5.6 to get an entire small flower in focus enough and still creams out the background.

-- hide signature --

Variance is Evil!

jf_tea Senior Member • Posts: 1,466

Richard B. wrote:

The DA Ltd primes are 15mm f4, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 macro, 40mm f2.8 and 70mm f2.4. They are best for their small size, beautiful all metal construction and outstanding image quality. They have formed the core of my shooting set up for the last years. I have no plans to change that.

My set of Pentax DA Limited is smaller: 15, 40, 70.

I like them for their compactness, simplicity and IQ.

My most used DA Mtd is the DA70.

The DA 15 I use much less but I keep it as it is outstanding for it's wider angle of view and its resitance to flare.

I like the hood of the DA40 so much that I bought a spare one to put on the DA70. It makes the DA70 even smaller

Since I don't take pictures of sports or running kids, the screw drive AF of the Limited is Ok for my uses. Its mechanical simplicity is much much better than the unreliability of some in lens AF motors (aka the SDM of older DA* lenses).

As for comparing with Fuji primes, the Fuji line up is nice (well planned and "classic"), but, it does not match with my focal length preferences. Fuji does not have a 70mm.

And, Fuji does not have a camera body like the K5ii/K3.

-- hide signature --

-JF

jf_tea's gear list:jf_tea's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-5 IIs Olympus E-M1 +10 more
viska Regular Member • Posts: 378

Well,what's the XH-1 like then?

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS RP
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 5,121

jf_tea wrote:

Richard B. wrote:

The DA Ltd primes are 15mm f4, 21mm f3.2, 35mm f2.8 macro, 40mm f2.8 and 70mm f2.4. They are best for their small size, beautiful all metal construction and outstanding image quality. They have formed the core of my shooting set up for the last years. I have no plans to change that.

My set of Pentax DA Limited is smaller: 15, 40, 70.

I like them for their compactness, simplicity and IQ.

My most used DA Mtd is the DA70.

It will copy it as they copied the pentax philosophy of da Ltd line and k3 " XH1 "

The DA 15 I use much less but I keep it as it is outstanding for it's wider angle of view and its resitance to flare.

I like the hood of the DA40 so much that I bought a spare one to put on the DA70. It makes the DA70 even smaller

Since I don't take pictures of sports or running kids, the screw drive AF of the Limited is Ok for my uses. Its mechanical simplicity is much much better than the unreliability of some in lens AF motors (aka the SDM of older DA* lenses).

As for comparing with Fuji primes, the Fuji line up is nice (well planned and "classic"), but, it does not match with my focal length preferences. Fuji does not have a 70mm.

And, Fuji does not have a camera body like the K5ii/K3.

-- hide signature --

-JF

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited HD Pentax DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +7 more
Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,333

Smitty1 wrote:

unhappymeal wrote:

Hey all,

Is there a line-up of DA primes that matches something like the the XF f/1.4 and f/2.0 primes? I'm thinking of 16 mm, 23 mm, 35 mm and 50 mm? I tried to do some digging and it seems to be a mixed bag on what's available with SDM vs screw drives on the Pentax side.

Thanks!

No.

Pentax relies on a number of aging DA lens designs that were given the lipstick treatment several years ago.

There are also Limited primes that might suit you, but they are all screwdriven and again mostly aging designs. Some people consider it character while others just consider it dated. Most are pretty sharp in the center though and stopped down okay.

Fuji made it a plan to design a modern series of lenses across the board. Ricoh/Pentax decided to give new coatings to old designs and introduce new designs here and there (which are far larger than the old style compact primes).

I don't understand why you are so negative. Most of the DA primes are excellent lenses.

Joe

Joseph Tainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,333

Phil A Martin wrote:

I'm having trouble understanding what "dated optically means"? Especially when half the Pentax world appear to be chasing increasingly esoteric M42 Takumar lenses, whilst others complain about perfectly good lenses, just because they are last years design. And don't mention the hoards of Sony A7 users, using all sorts of adapters in search of the elusive and perfect vintage primes.

Yes! We see excellent photos here taken with Pentax lenses whose designs are decades old.

Joe

viska Regular Member • Posts: 378

Fuji primes...14...16...18...23....27....35...50..56..60...80....90....200 just pointing out the FOV.

If i want a 70,I can adapt a Pentax.Try adapting Fuji to Pentax.

viska's gear list:viska's gear list
Pentax K-3 II Olympus PEN-F Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EOS RP
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads