D850 Focus problem

Started 7 months ago | Discussions
topcat74 Forum Member • Posts: 63
D850 Focus problem

Hi all, using my D850 yesterday with the Tamron 35mm F1.4.

All going well, until the next shot, the camera refused to focus. Tried to focus on something of high contrast just in case that was the issue but again refused, then it suddenly started working again. Am I experiencing the problem that the latest firmware addresses? Or could it be something more sinister

Thanks for your views.

topcat74's gear list:topcat74's gear list
Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Chuvarsky
Chuvarsky Senior Member • Posts: 2,332
Re: D850 Focus problem

I have been using the same combination, have not experienced your problem.

-- hide signature --

Dick

Chuvarsky's gear list:Chuvarsky's gear list
Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Tamron 15-30mm F2.8 +7 more
ericbowles
ericbowles Senior Member • Posts: 1,006

topcat74 wrote:

Hi all, using my D850 yesterday with the Tamron 35mm F1.4.

All going well, until the next shot, the camera refused to focus. Tried to focus on something of high contrast just in case that was the issue but again refused, then it suddenly started working again. Am I experiencing the problem that the latest firmware addresses? Or could it be something more sinister

Thanks for your views.

There was a fail to focus issue solved with a firmware update.  It's been a while since that update was released.  Be sure all your firmware is current - it prevents this type of unexpected issue.

If that does not solve the problem, there are a range of questions to narrow the problem.  Can you replicate the problem with any other lens?  What are your AF settings?  Was there any hunting to find a target that was far different than the starting point?

-- hide signature --

Eric Bowles
BowlesImages.com

ericbowles's gear list:ericbowles's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D800E Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +24 more
OP topcat74 Forum Member • Posts: 63

Hi

The Tamron just happened to be on the camera at the time, I picked it up. This is the first time it has happened.

There was no hunting to find focus, just un responsive, then a moment later it was fine.

I am still on the software version that came with the camera, so will install the update and hope it solves the issue.

Best wishes

Nikon D850 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,444

topcat74 wrote:

Hi

The Tamron just happened to be on the camera at the time, I picked it up. This is the first time it has happened.

There was no hunting to find focus, just un responsive, then a moment later it was fine.

I am still on the software version that came with the camera, so will install the update and hope it solves the issue.

Best wishes

The above reference to a firmware update may have been for the lens. I would check Tamron's website. There is a USB dock available to update lens firmwares.

Updating the camera firmware may or may not help. In fact, sometimes updating a Nikon camera firmware hinders 3rd party len function so I would try updating the lens first.

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

I have had this once after changing the lens (not the one you have). Somehow, it had not locked on properly, even though I tought it had.

24Peter
24Peter Veteran Member • Posts: 4,444

clickclack wrote:

I have had this once after changing the lens (not the one you have). Somehow, it had not locked on properly, even though I tought it had.

Thank you clickclack. That was actually going to be my first suggestion to the OP

24Peter's gear list:24Peter's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z50
clickclack Senior Member • Posts: 1,205

24Peter wrote:

clickclack wrote:

Thank you clickclack. That was actually going to be my first suggestion to the OP

Thanks! Haha!

Al Giordano
Al Giordano Senior Member • Posts: 1,331

I have this problem with my Nikon 105 F2.8 Micro.  I bought it used and sometimes it refuses to focus; until I twist the mount.  I've cleaned the contacts and even sent it in for cleaning, calibration, and testing and there is still something going on with the mount.  Once I twist the mount tighter, it works!

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon D780 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +5 more
mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,431

Al Giordano wrote:

I have this problem with my Nikon 105 F2.8 Micro. I bought it used and sometimes it refuses to focus; until I twist the mount. I've cleaned the contacts and even sent it in for cleaning, calibration, and testing and there is still something going on with the mount. Once I twist the mount tighter, it works!

May be that why the lens was sold to you - used items sometimes hide unresolved problems that unscrupulous sellers offload to the the unsuspected buyers.

As for OP problem it was clearly an electrical contact issue - the fact that the lens already mounted doesn't mean that contacts are secure - it could be loosed due to handling or minor discrepancies - especially with third party lenses.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
philm5d Contributing Member • Posts: 995

Just beware that you're not even slightly pressing on the camera lens release button when camera is to your eye - as this will disable autofocus. Happens a lot with my 85mm f1.8G for some reason.

OP topcat74 Forum Member • Posts: 63

Hi Phil, thanks for the info. on the lens release button

Have pressed the Lens release button then tried to focus, and as you say, it stops focus!

I may have been griping the camera to tightly to reduce shake, I have had no problems since. Hopefully that was the problem.

Many thanks:)

mais51
mais51 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,431

topcat74 wrote:

Hi Phil, thanks for the info. on the lens release button

Have pressed the Lens release button then tried to focus, and as you say, it stops focus!

I may have been griping the camera to tightly to reduce shake, I have had no problems since. Hopefully that was the problem.

Many thanks:)

Set the camera to AF-C or AF-S, Group Focus or Matrix - something easy to see - now squeeze the lens release button and watch the AF information disappears in the view finder - meaning AF is disable - brilliant.  But we have to really squeeze the button to engage the release function, slightly squeeze or merely touch it makes no different.

mais51's gear list:mais51's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR Nikon 85mm F1.8G +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads