D6 has arrived

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
kenya kid New Member • Posts: 23
D6 has arrived

Ok I am not a scientist nor a person who reads every statistical analysis of a camera's characteristics.  I am a person who works in the field virtually every day (except during a pandemic).  My work can be seen at     1X.com/member/alaskak

I have been using a D5 for several years in Africa and Alaska.  I also use the D500 when I need a crop body.  I use the D850 for landscapes, mainly in Iceland and Ireland.  I am a sharpness freak (which is more about the glass than the camera body) and I use the Nikon 600 Fl lens, and their 300 2.8 (most recent iteration) and 70-20 FL lens for 95% of my images.

I received the D6 on Friday and I have played and shot with it for two days.  So far, my conclusion is that it is a beast of a machine like the D5 and its JPEGS are extraordinary right out of the camera.  However, I do not see any other real differences between the D5 and the D6 so far.  The 14 frames per second is a nice touch as is the wifi and etc.  However, the question remains - is it worth selling a D5 and replacing it with a D6?  As of now I am leaning toward answering in the negative but I will see as I get back into the field and use the D6 in demanding situations.  Be well everyone.

kenya kid's gear list:kenya kid's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 600mm F4E FL ED VR
Nikon D5 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mackiesback
Mackiesback Senior Member • Posts: 8,341
Re: D6 has arrived

kenya kid wrote:

Ok I am not a scientist nor a person who reads every statistical analysis of a camera's characteristics. I am a person who works in the field virtually every day (except during a pandemic). My work can be seen at 1X.com/member/alaskak

I have been using a D5 for several years in Africa and Alaska. I also use the D500 when I need a crop body. I use the D850 for landscapes, mainly in Iceland and Ireland. I am a sharpness freak (which is more about the glass than the camera body) and I use the Nikon 600 Fl lens, and their 300 2.8 (most recent iteration) and 70-20 FL lens for 95% of my images.

I received the D6 on Friday and I have played and shot with it for two days. So far, my conclusion is that it is a beast of a machine like the D5 and its JPEGS are extraordinary right out of the camera. However, I do not see any other real differences between the D5 and the D6 so far. The 14 frames per second is a nice touch as is the wifi and etc. However, the question remains - is it worth selling a D5 and replacing it with a D6? As of now I am leaning toward answering in the negative but I will see as I get back into the field and use the D6 in demanding situations. Be well everyone.

I am looking forward to real world field reports after all the chatter here. Please remember to check back in after you have had time with the camera.

Mackiesback's gear list:Mackiesback's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D50 Nikon D100 Nikon Df Nikon Z6 +18 more
Nikonmaniac0620 Forum Member • Posts: 95

kenya kid wrote:

Ok I am not a scientist nor a person who reads every statistical analysis of a camera's characteristics. I am a person who works in the field virtually every day (except during a pandemic). My work can be seen at 1X.com/member/alaskak

I have been using a D5 for several years in Africa and Alaska. I also use the D500 when I need a crop body. I use the D850 for landscapes, mainly in Iceland and Ireland. I am a sharpness freak (which is more about the glass than the camera body) and I use the Nikon 600 Fl lens, and their 300 2.8 (most recent iteration) and 70-20 FL lens for 95% of my images.

I received the D6 on Friday and I have played and shot with it for two days. So far, my conclusion is that it is a beast of a machine like the D5 and its JPEGS are extraordinary right out of the camera. However, I do not see any other real differences between the D5 and the D6 so far. The 14 frames per second is a nice touch as is the wifi and etc. However, the question remains - is it worth selling a D5 and replacing it with a D6? As of now I am leaning toward answering in the negative but I will see as I get back into the field and use the D6 in demanding situations. Be well everyone.

I suspect D6 will stand out from D5 only when AF tracking of the toughest of the tough subjects are concerned. Namely athletics, unpredictable BIFs, very dark environments.

Do plan to push the boundaries of you and the camera will you?

Nikonmaniac0620's gear list:Nikonmaniac0620's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon Z6 +8 more
OP kenya kid New Member • Posts: 23

Yes and you are exactly right as I purchased the D6 in the hope that my keeper rate for animals hunting (on the run) and birds in flight will increase.  Also I am hopeful that a high ISO setting of 12,800 will be usable as so many potential great wildlife images must be successfully captured in very low light.

(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 11,356
And while you are at it....

Fill the buffer with the RAW photos and let us know how it worked out for you.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.
Photography Director for Whedonopolis.com

chambeshi Senior Member • Posts: 2,494
review will take weeks

kenya kid wrote:

Yes and you are exactly right as I purchased the D6 in the hope that my keeper rate for animals hunting (on the run) and birds in flight will increase. Also I am hopeful that a high ISO setting of 12,800 will be usable as so many potential great wildlife images must be successfully captured in very low light.

It will be weeks before those with years of prior field experience shooting challenging action scenes reach firm conclusions. It is however a hard cold fact, the D6 has a new AF engine, which Nikon will be cloning across to its future cameras, including MILCs.

Optimizing the customization of a D6 for one's local needs takes weeks of experimenting. The D6 brings you so many more options , which are alone big positives. (Obviously, those who will never shoot a D6 including the ranks of noisy keyboard protographers will keep saying the D6 is only a D5*).

In his latest blog, Brad Hill just confirmed the positives of the improved "Recall Shooting Functions" in the D6 - to switch the camera's settings instantly to capture unexpected moments. This alone should prove to be a huge game changer in its own right.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63979907

““We can use words to denote not only objects and events in the outside world but also more abstract concepts. This ability leads to another strikingly human characteristic, one that is seldom mentioned: our almost limitless ability for self deception.......Whatever the answer, the only sensible way to arrive at it [Nature's secrets] is through detailed scientific research. All other approaches are little more than whistling to keep our courage up. Man is endowed with a relentless curiosity about the world. We cannot be satisfied forever by the guesses of yesterday, however much the charms of tradition and ritual may, for a time, lull our doubts about their validity. We must hammer away until we have forged a clear and valid picture not only of this vast universe in which we live but also of our very selves.” Francis Crick (1989: 263) The Astonishing Hypothesis

chambeshi's gear list:chambeshi's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 58mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8E FL ED VR +20 more
Geniet Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: review will take weeks

In all kindness:

“...““We can use words to denote not only objects and events in the outside world but also more abstract concepts. ....”

Perhaps of interest:

“...Unlocking the secret sounds of language: Life without time or numbers...”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/unlocking-the-secret-sounds-of-language-life-without-time-or-numbers-6101717.html

Of course, no numbers, no distance.

Or

“Spooky Action at a distance” - Albert Einstein.

https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=quantum+entanglement&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Regarding Covid-19 it is all the same being 2 meters (6 feet) apart, or being apart sitting on an island in the pacific ocean and sitting on Pluto.

Regards,

LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 1,404
Re: And while you are at it....

Sure desperate to get my hands on one so I can pair it with the 120-300 zoom ..!  Can anyone provide a link to one forsake in USA with USA warranty..?  DESPERATE

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Leica SL2 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) +26 more
Thoughts R Us
Thoughts R Us Senior Member • Posts: 2,896
Re: review will take weeks

chambeshi wrote:

kenya kid wrote:

Yes and you are exactly right as I purchased the D6 in the hope that my keeper rate for animals hunting (on the run) and birds in flight will increase. Also I am hopeful that a high ISO setting of 12,800 will be usable as so many potential great wildlife images must be successfully captured in very low light.

It will be weeks before those with years of prior field experience shooting challenging action scenes reach firm conclusions. It is however a hard cold fact, the D6 has a new AF engine, which Nikon will be cloning across to its future cameras, including MILCs.

Optimizing the customization of a D6 for one's local needs takes weeks of experimenting. The D6 brings you so many more options , which are alone big positives. (Obviously, those who will never shoot a D6 including the ranks of noisy keyboard protographers will keep saying the D6 is only a D5*).

In his latest blog, Brad Hill just confirmed the positives of the improved "Recall Shooting Functions" in the D6 - to switch the camera's settings instantly to capture unexpected moments. This alone should prove to be a huge game changer in its own right.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63979907

You bring up an excellent point, which is the idea that a certain amount of expertise and time is required to properly evaluate a camera like this.  Thus when some Youtubers or internet commenters just dismiss the camera or criticize it on specs, you know they don't have a clue.

This is a specialized tool and one needs to have some idea of how to use it and its intended use cases.  It cannot be properly evaluated with the mindset of a standard consumer.

OP kenya kid New Member • Posts: 23

Try Norman's camera in Michigan.  Pat Norman the owner is a great guy and he seems to be able to get any piece of Nikon gear very quickly.

LensWizard wrote:

Sure desperate to get my hands on one so I can pair it with the 120-300 zoom ..! Can anyone provide a link to one forsake in USA with USA warranty..? DESPERATE

If you were that DESPERATE you would have already got one. With all that negativity around, D6 will be widely available, you just need to call stores instead of asking for a link here.

-- hide signature --

If I don't respond to your post after you responded to my post with NEGATIVE remarks that means you are on my Ignore list.

kokopuffs
kokopuffs Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

SushiEater wrote:..........................With all that negativity around, D6 will be widely available, you just need to call stores instead of asking for a link here.

"...negativity around...", negativity concerning what?

-- hide signature --

I'm coming from a Leica DLux4 experience.
Tia and thanks much for your patience,
-kokopuffs

kokopuffs's gear list:kokopuffs's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more

kokopuffs wrote:

SushiEater wrote:..........................With all that negativity around, D6 will be widely available, you just need to call stores instead of asking for a link here.

That it is not worth the upgrade if you already got D5. Plus all the Youtubers who most people take for granted compared to Nikon Ambassadors who will never tell you the truth in their reviews. D6 was already shipped and will be available. It is not going to be like with D850 or even like with D800 that you had to wait for many months to get it. It is going to be more like with D810.

-- hide signature --

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 4,647

Hi,

Try CamCor in Burlington, NC. That's the first place I'd try if I wanted one.

But, don't bother with their website. They aren't all that quick to update it. I'd call them.

800-868-2462

It will be at one of these local camera stores where you will find one early on. Not the big online outfits.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +19 more
Mackiesback

SushiEater wrote:

LensWizard wrote:

Sure desperate to get my hands on one so I can pair it with the 120-300 zoom ..! Can anyone provide a link to one forsake in USA with USA warranty..? DESPERATE

If you were that DESPERATE you would have already got one. With all that negativity around, D6 will be widely available, you just need to call stores instead of asking for a link here.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with asking where to find a newly released camera. That is about all I can say within the guidelines of this forum.

Mackiesback

SushiEater wrote:

kokopuffs wrote:

That it is not worth the upgrade if you already got D5. Plus all the Youtubers who most people take for granted compared to Nikon Ambassadors who will never tell you the truth in their reviews. D6 was already shipped and will be available. It is not going to be like with D850 or even like with D800 that you had to wait for many months to get it. It is going to be more like with D810.

Seriously, so what. Is the 780 a worthy upgrade to the 750? Is the 810 a worthy upgrade to the 800E. Is the 7500 a worthy upgrade to the 7200 to the 7100 to the 7000? Most would say no. Nikon does not have a recent history of introducing replacement models that are a "must have" over the generation directly in front of it. They are simply "what's next".  I am sorry that they didn't call a D5s for you.  Would that have really changed anything? Other than hopefully some peaceful silence, no.

All the negativity around this camera, at least here, seems to be coming from you, to the point where you scold someone simply for asking where to get one.  Good grief.

kokopuffs
kokopuffs Senior Member • Posts: 1,313

Alright I got a stupid question if you'll note that I upgraded from a compact body.  What makes the D6 (or D5) preferable from the D850 as I don't quite know enough here????

-- hide signature --

I'm coming from a Leica DLux4 experience.
Tia and thanks much for your patience,
-kokopuffs

kokopuffs's gear list:kokopuffs's gear list
Leica D-LUX 4 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | A Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 +2 more
Flashlight Veteran Member • Posts: 8,543

kokopuffs wrote:

Alright I got a stupid question if you'll note that I upgraded from a compact body. What makes the D6 (or D5) preferable from the D850 as I don't quite know enough here????

That only makes sense if you're a professional sports shooter with accreditation to the major sports venues in your area. If that was the case you'd already know whether to upgrade or not.

Otherwise, if you like to shoot in really low light conditions buy a second hand D750 and if you shoot in good light just stay with your (modern) DX camera. For serious birding get a D500 or a D7200/D7500 to save some cash.

-- hide signature --

Philip

DenWil
DenWil Veteran Member • Posts: 4,274

I have never looked at a next version of a camera as something I needed to replace my current version of the same camera with.

From my perspective  manufacturers -be it cameras,   televisions or cars-  keep making upgrades to their product lines  and at that point when I need a new device I consider the current  version  that is available.

It would not occur to me to replace a new  functional D5 with a D6 unless the  new unit had an  obvious  IQ altering leap in the sensor.  That did not happen.

Same goes for replacing a D850 with its successor. At least 50% more resolution to even think about it.

As it happens I bought a  D810  36MP as my starter DSLR ,  skipped the jump to  the D850 45MP and will likely move to the  new  D version if it has the 61MP sensor that has been discussed.  36 to 61  with other new bits six years later makes sense to me and I will not replace the D810 but add to the  digital side of my kit which is viable for work. Alternately  a revised  GFX  S version would also be an option as a second digital camera.

Unless the pandemic never ends.

-- hide signature --

dw

Mackiesback wrote:

SushiEater wrote:

kokopuffs wrote:

Seriously, so what. Is the 780 a worthy upgrade to the 750? Is the 810 a worthy upgrade to the 800E.

To me upgrading from D800e to D810 was was no brainer because D810 has one feature I use ALL the time and D800 lacks. I got used to this feature on Canon cameras I used before. Focus point change based on orientation. Other than that D810 is not worth it and if I did not buy it I would have skipped it for D850. Just like for me D850 is not worth it over D810.

Is the 7500 a worthy upgrade to the 7200 to the 7100 to the 7000? Most would say no. Nikon does not have a recent history of introducing replacement models that are a "must have" over the generation directly in front of it. They are simply "what's next". I am sorry that they didn't call a D5s for you. Would that have really changed anything? Other than hopefully some peaceful silence, no.

It doesn't matter what is next or what it is called. If it was D5s I would still not upgrade.

All the negativity around this camera, at least here, seems to be coming from you, to the point where you scold someone simply for asking where to get one. Good grief.

No, not just from me. You just happen to read most of my posts. I am just the loudest because I see things as they are. For example that thread about the buffer. Many were arguing that D6 needs CFe card and I said it doesn't matter. Well not only I was right but i was double right. Read Brad Hill's review. Looks like Nikon castrated the buffer size too.

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads