A7riv what remote?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions
Bonsainz Regular Member • Posts: 332
A7riv what remote?

Just wondering what remote people are using for A7riv for long exposure etc.

I had a corded one for my A7r2 but lost it some where.

Does the  Sony Bluetooth one work with A7riv ?

Bonsainz's gear list:Bonsainz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
petercod Contributing Member • Posts: 647
Re: A7riv what remote?

Sony Bluetooth Remote works brilliantly with the a7riv. Bulb mode one press to open shutter and a second press to close. No built in timer but I find it neater than using a USB connected remote.

Eric Gill Contributing Member • Posts: 739

I use a Meike vertical grip, comes with a wireless intervalometer fob. Cheap, especially compared to the Sony grip.

-- hide signature --

Siiddas doibmet Sámemusea ja Davvi-Sámi luondduguovddáš. Siida lea deaivvadanbáiki ja čájáhusguovddáš oktan kultur- ja luonddučájáhusaiguin.

Dan_168 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,673

Eric Gill wrote:

I use a Meike vertical grip, comes with a wireless intervalometer fob. Cheap, especially compared to the Sony grip.

How is the MeiKe VG working for you?  that intervalometer remote control working out good also? my understanding is you still need to connect a cable between the VG and the A7IV body then you can use that intervalometer, is that right?

MRK 2010 Regular Member • Posts: 180

Bonsainz wrote:

Does the Sony Bluetooth one work with A7riv ?

I recommend the Sony Bluetooth remote.

You can use it in burst mode....that isn’t possible via Infra red

You can also use it for bulb mode

it has a lock switch on it so you don’t run down the battery because something is pressing on one of the buttons

it's Bluetooth which means unlike infrared you don’t need to point it at the camera to trigger the shutter.   I found this particular useful for long exposures in winter.  It means you can trigger the shutter whilst keeping your hands warm in your coat pocket.

MRK 2010's gear list:MRK 2010's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a7

Dan_168 wrote:

Eric Gill wrote:

How is the MeiKe VG working for you? that intervalometer remote control working out good also? my understanding is you still need to connect a cable between the VG and the A7IV body then you can use that intervalometer, is that right?

Nope. Built into the RF fob. Also, works great. Fair amount of flexibility in the programming.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BFPTJV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

-- hide signature --

Siiddas doibmet Sámemusea ja Davvi-Sámi luondduguovddáš. Siida lea deaivvadanbáiki ja čájáhusguovddáš oktan kultur- ja luonddučájáhusaiguin.

Eric Gill wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Eric Gill wrote:

How is the MeiKe VG working for you? that intervalometer remote control working out good also? my understanding is you still need to connect a cable between the VG and the A7IV body then you can use that intervalometer, is that right?

Nope. Built into the RF fob. Also, works great. Fair amount of flexibility in the programming.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083BFPTJV/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

WOW thanks again for the info, that sounds great, I normally use wired intervalometer, but theses is time a wireless one can come on handy, like when I am shooting at places like Tunnel View Yosemite in cold, I don't have to stand out there all night, I can just sit in the car and drinking hot coffee and pressing the button !! so if I go wireless I will go all way way, no cable at all.

Now I just need to find a new L-Bracket that fits this new Meike Verical grip.

Dan_168 wrote:

Eric Gill wrote:

Dan_168 wrote:

Eric Gill wrote:

WOW thanks again for the info, that sounds great, I normally use wired intervalometer, but theses is time a wireless one can come on handy, like when I am shooting at places like Tunnel View Yosemite in cold, I don't have to stand out there all night, I can just sit in the car and drinking hot coffee and pressing the button !! so if I go wireless I will go all way way, no cable at all.

Now I just need to find a new L-Bracket that fits this new Meike Verical grip.

Don't use them anymore, but if I did, it would probably be:

https://www.3leggedthing.com/store/accessories/l-brackets/qr11-fbc

-- hide signature --

Dsnoir
Dsnoir Senior Member • Posts: 1,089

Something that has not been mention about the Sony Bluetooth remote is that you can focus with it. This is great for Macro work.

GAS - Get Another Sony

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Tamron 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD Sony FE 200-600 F5.6-6.3 +4 more

MRK 2010 wrote:

Bonsainz wrote:

I recommend the Sony Bluetooth remote.

You can use it in burst mode....that isn’t possible via Infra red

You can also use it for bulb mode

it has a lock switch on it so you don’t run down the battery because something is pressing on one of the buttons

it's Bluetooth which means unlike infrared you don’t need to point it at the camera to trigger the shutter. I found this particular useful for long exposures in winter. It means you can trigger the shutter whilst keeping your hands warm in your coat pocket.

Yeah that Sony Bluetooth remote is pretty good, it's definitely one of those I don't regret buying and not one of those only use it once and put it away type of Sony accessory, but i wish it has the intervalometer feature, with that said I found I always grab those Shutter Boss III or similar type of ( wired or wireless) intervalometer remote when I head out.

aSevenArr
aSevenArr Senior Member • Posts: 2,603

Bonsainz wrote:

I've personally always found that the cheap corded ones work best, never had good results with the wireless type (and it's only a few dollars if you lose or misplace it).

It's worth adding that the cordless ones normally use a battery that inevitably turns out to be discharged whenever you actually want to use it.

Get a cheapo corded one!

They're far more dependable ... they work every time and are totally simple to set up.

aSevenArr's gear list:aSevenArr's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R Sony a9 Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Corelli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,369

Am I missing something here?

Why not just use your phone and the Sony App? Works for me particularly when I'm farther away from the camera, I've used it from 30m or more.

For normal use, I got a $12 wired remote which works fine.

-- hide signature --

"It is perfectly possible to ignore reality. It is not possible to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality" Ayn Rand
Visit my galleries at:
http://beautiful-life.smugmug.com/

Corelli's gear list:Corelli's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more
C47 Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Corelli wrote:

Am I missing something here?

Why not just use your phone and the Sony App?

I found the iPhone app to be unreliable (crashes etc.). Has this changed?

C47's gear list:C47's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 70-200mm F2.8 GM OSS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more

I also have this wireless remote.

https://smile.amazon.de/gp/product/B06ZYKWL8M/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Cheers

-- hide signature --

"It is perfectly possible to ignore reality. It is not possible to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality" Ayn Rand
Visit my galleries at:

Sony RX100 Sony a7R II Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Samyang T-S 24mm F3.5 +15 more

Sorry, mine is Android.

It takes a few seconds to connect, but works fine through wall and at least 10m away. Haven't tried farther.

Cheers

-- hide signature --

Visit my galleries at:

Unagi Shiruba Regular Member • Posts: 237

I’m using the CamRanger 2.

MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,472
Sony Bluetooth

Bonsainz wrote:

+1 for the Sony Bluetooth.  Simple and reliable with the a7riv

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sigma 35mm F1.2 DG DN
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,621

Bonsainz wrote:

For most purposes I prefer a wired remote, and have found the JJC TM-F2 to be compact and reliable.

I have several of them, and they were only about $20 IIRC.

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
SilvanBromide Senior Member • Posts: 4,621

SilvanBromide wrote:

Bonsainz wrote:

For most purposes I prefer a wired remote, and have found the JJC TM-F2 to be compact and reliable.

I have several of them, and they were only about $20 IIRC.

FWIW this is the one in question:

https://www.amazon.com/JJC-Control-DSC-RX100-DSC-RX10-DCS-HX400V/dp/B06XBYPJYB/ref=sr_1_1

-- hide signature --

Former Canon, Nikon and Pentax user.
Online Gallery: https://500px.com/raycologon

SilvanBromide's gear list:SilvanBromide's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 12-24mm F4 Sony a7 III +25 more
OP Bonsainz Regular Member • Posts: 332
Re: Sony Bluetooth

MattPointZero wrote:

Bonsainz wrote:

+1 for the Sony Bluetooth. Simple and reliable with the a7riv

Went to purchased the Bluetooth remote yesterday, and was told just download the Sony app Instead, was surprised about that but will try, have others found this better on A7riv than the Bluetooth?

Bonsainz's gear list:Bonsainz's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter (2016) Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads