50's

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Ivan983
OP Ivan983 Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: 50's

Now thats a massive information i had no clue about! Are there other Mamiya lenses (different letter)that will work with m43?

Ivan983's gear list:Ivan983's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
Travis Butler
Travis Butler Senior Member • Posts: 1,393

Ivan983 wrote:

Now thats a massive information i had no clue about! Are there other Mamiya lenses (different letter)that will work with m43?

Many Mamiya/Sekor lenses are standard M42 lenses, and will work on M4/3 with a standard M42 adapter.

https://lens-db.com/auto-mamiya-sekor-50mm-f2/

Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses are modified M42.

https://lens-db.com/auto-mamiya-sekor-sx-50mm-f2/

The lens mount itself is standard M42, but there's a ridge and pin on the aperture ring that's meant to connect with a mechanism on a Mamiya SX camera body. This ridge and pin interferes with a standard M42 adapter and prevents you from screwing the lens all the way in. For normal operation, you either need to modify the lens by filing down the ridge and pin; or modifying the adapter by filing it down to make clearance for the ridge and pin.

M42 Mamiya/Sekor 50/2 on the left, SX Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8 on the right

Note the pin at approximately the 3:00 position on the SX; the ridge is a bit hard to see in this photo.

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Travis Butler's gear list:Travis Butler's gear list
Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
E Dinkla Senior Member • Posts: 2,092

Ivan983 wrote:

Mamiya must be the champion of lens mount diversity for its 135 film SLRs.  M42: TL and DTL lenses that are easy to adapt. M42 with a twist: SE lenses. Diversity in bayonets: ES, CS, E, EF.  Physically the last 3 are identical but the last two use semi electronic control of the aperture.

I think there was even an older bayonet type just after the Prismat SLR with fixed lens.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst
No photographer's gear list is complete without the printer mentioned !

verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258
M42 adapter for Mamiya SX and Fujinon M42 EBC

Travis Butler wrote:

Ivan983 wrote:

Many Mamiya/Sekor lenses are standard M42 lenses, and will work on M4/3 with a standard M42 adapter.

https://lens-db.com/auto-mamiya-sekor-50mm-f2/

Mamiya/Sekor SX lenses are modified M42.

https://lens-db.com/auto-mamiya-sekor-sx-50mm-f2/

The lens mount itself is standard M42, but there's a ridge and pin on the aperture ring that's meant to connect with a mechanism on a Mamiya SX camera body. This ridge and pin interferes with a standard M42 adapter and prevents you from screwing the lens all the way in. For normal operation, you either need to modify the lens by filing down the ridge and pin; or modifying the adapter by filing it down to make clearance for the ridge and pin.

M42 Mamiya/Sekor 50/2 on the left, SX Mamiya/Sekor 55/1.8 on the right

Note the pin at approximately the 3:00 position on the SX; the ridge is a bit hard to see in this photo.

There was adapter M42 for SX and EBC lenses, brand was Bokkeh and I bought one few years ago.

I can’t find these any more, but maybe something similar exists somewhere.

When SX lens is mounted the ridge fall into groove and plate inside press the pin. Works perfectly and is well made.

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
Travis Butler
Re: M42 adapter for Mamiya SX and Fujinon M42 EBC

verybiglebowski wrote:

There was adapter M42 for SX and EBC lenses, brand was Bokkeh and I bought one few years ago.

When SX lens is mounted the ridge fall into groove and plate inside press the pin. Works perfectly and is well made.

Very nice! Wish they were still available.

There was a discussion here several months ago about modifying adapters. My thought was to take one of the 'plate' M42-Minolta SR adapters and shrink the diameter by filing down the edge; that seemed like it would be easier than removing the central screwmount socket and filing down the surrounding surface. Unfortunately haven't found the time/tools to give this a serious try yet.

-- hide signature --

Flickr at https://www.flickr.com/photos/the_prof67/ Warning: Heavy Learning in progress.

Fujifilm X20 Nikon Coolpix A Pentax Q Pentax K-50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +18 more
Ivan983

What cheap dummy adapter if putting Olympus 50mm1.8 to m43(gx85)?

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
verybiglebowski
verybiglebowski Veteran Member • Posts: 4,258

Ivan983 wrote:

Mostly looking into vintage budget primes.(i am ok with manual for stills). Will be using it mostly for street, travel everyday shooting i guess. Aware that 35mm would be better for that but as for now, determined to get my first prime 50mm.

I compared the lenses bellow (except Canon FD 50/1.8, I have only FL 50/1.8) on the Sony A6000 (APS-C) and ISO 12233 DCR4 chart without laser alignment and 100% proper lighting. Most of these lenses I have or had in multiple copies, and for this test, the best copies were selected.

Due to the alignment and lighting inconsistency and general rule, that the lens condition is way more important for the resulting IQ than brand and model written on the barrel (speaking about old, legacy lenses), please treat these results just as my findings. Others might have different experiences.

I have to give 2 rankings for each lens - center sharpness and edge sharpness.

Nikkor-S Auto 1.4/50 6-3

MC Rokkor PF 1.4/50 7-6

S-M-C Takumar 1.4/50 (Tested was SMC Takumar not S-M-C) 1-2

Pentax M 1.7/50 2-4

Olympus OM 1.8/50 (version 5 and 6) 2-1

Pentacon 50mm f1.8 9-9

Canon FD 50mm f/1.8 FL 50/1.8 8-8

Minolta MD 50mm f/1.7 4-5

Yashica ML 50mm f/2.0 4-7

These are results at f/1.7-2.0 (depending on the lens). My Takumar is very yellow, but when WB is adjusted, stopped down to f/2.0 it is the sharpest in the center with the highest contrast too.

Olympus (Made in Japan - 5th and 6th version) is slightly less sharp in the center (it's wide open at f/1.8) and very similar to Pentax M 50/1.7 in the center, but slightly better toward the edges. Any of these three lenses show nice and fully usable results on Sony A6000 in terms of sharpness and contrast. If the budget allows, and the lens is in good condition, Takumar SMC 50/1.4 is probably the winner in terms of sharpness.

Olympus, on the other hand, is smaller, cheaper, and has very well corrected color aberrations. (3 samples were tested).

I tested more lenses. Speaking about sharpness, Canon FDn 50/1.4 is probably the sharpest (at f/2.0) from around 20 lenses including Zeiss Planar 50/1.7, Zeiss Planar Rollei 50/1.4 and 50/1.8, Zeiss Ultron 50/1.8, Oly 50/1.4 (with serial over 1.1M) and many others.

Nice surprise in terms of the bang for the buck were Minolta MC Rokkor 50/2 and Cosinon-S 50/2. the later being a little sharper in the center.

All this tells nothing about lens character, flare resistance, and some other important things, but it gives you a slightly better approximation of the sharpness in direct comparison.

Adapter - very good ones are more expensive than lenses, my favorite is Novoflex. But this one looks solid enough IMHO - https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-for-Olympus-OM-Lens-to-Olympus-Panasonic-MFT-M4-3-M43-Mount-Camera/323862717583?hash=item4b67b8e48f:g:5ZAAAOSwcGhenKJz

Don't forget that you can also use the focal reducer adapter.
Cheers,
Viktor

verybiglebowski's gear list:verybiglebowski's gear list
Sony a7R Sony a7R II Sony a7R III Sony a7R IV Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 +3 more
Calaverasgrande
Calaverasgrande Forum Member • Posts: 98

Picked up the Yashica 50MM f1.7 on eBay recently.

Mine is the DS-M vision, which is multicoated, so I understand it flares less. But I have to say, it's much better than my 7 Artisans 50.

Sharp edge to edge, CA is not too bad. Easy to handle in post.

Good clarity and color.

Bokeh is not tremendous, but neither is it busy or distracting.

The negative is that the lens requires about 270 degrees of travel to focus the whole range. Which makes it awkward for street shooting.

It does focus closer than any other 50 I own, virtually a Macro in that regard.

This desiccated bird skeleton is next to my AC unit outside. It's about the size of a dime.

about a foot away.

These are jpegs from camera

Yashica 50mm f1.7 DS-M Fuji Xpro3

Same settings but focussed to the nearby elevated subway track.

Yashica 50mm f1.7 DS-M Fuji Xpro3

Calaverasgrande's gear list:Calaverasgrande's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EOS Rebel T6s Fujifilm X-T3 +5 more
MOD Tom Caldwell Forum Pro • Posts: 41,258

Travis Butler wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

There was a discussion here several months ago about modifying adapters. My thought was to take one of the 'plate' M42-Minolta SR adapters and shrink the diameter by filing down the edge; that seemed like it would be easier than removing the central screwmount socket and filing down the surrounding surface. Unfortunately haven't found the time/tools to give this a serious try yet.

Seems like a relatively easy job to re-purpose a cheap standard issue M42 adapter using a small metal lathe.  A lot less nerve racking and a whole lot less work than trying to use a metal lathe to modify a lens body.

It seems that dremels and files are much more common than lathes in our workshops.  A lathe is very accurate.  Perhaps a friend with a lathe ....

-- hide signature --

Tom Caldwell

Travis Butler

Tom Caldwell wrote:

Travis Butler wrote:

verybiglebowski wrote:

Seems like a relatively easy job to re-purpose a cheap standard issue M42 adapter using a small metal lathe. A lot less nerve racking and a whole lot less work than trying to use a metal lathe to modify a lens body.

It seems that dremels and files are much more common than lathes in our workshops. A lathe is very accurate. Perhaps a friend with a lathe ....

Oh, I certainly wasn't wanting to modify the lens body!

What I was thinking is that instead of modifying a standard M42-M4/3 adapter - which would involve removing the plate with the 42mm screw socket, then filling down the entire body at the rim to provide clearance - you would take an M42-Minolta adapter, which is essentially just a plate with the M42 socket on one side and a Minolta SR bayonet on the other side, and file down the edge to reduce the plate's diameter.

Sadly, I don't have a lathe, or know anyone with a lathe within a 3-hour drive. ^^;; My father does have a woodworking lathe, and we might be able to put one of the plates in it; but he's three hours away, and with COVID travel has been rather curtailed. I am going up there for father's day this weekend, though, so maybe there'll be time to work on it.

-- hide signature --

Good images!  Flare van be further reduced with a fighter lens Hood given the sensor's APS size.

Ivan983

Great buy and jpegs 👍🏼

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7
fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,321

Ivan983 wrote:

Great buy and jpegs 👍🏼

With m43, probably you and all other mentioned, but if not, you get a view like 100mm equiv. FF. All these lenses are FF. Your sensor will discard 75% of the images they render and retain the 25% central part. Because you have 25% of the light, and a quite dense sensor, you want something fast and very very sharp in the center. You don’t care much about corner performance at all here. A Helios 44M-6 is a general good idea: wide open very sharp in the center, fast enough to equate with an 110mm f4, high contrast, great colors and not expensive.

MD 1.7 is also great. The (Yashica) ML 1.7 won’t be bad either in the center. 50mm is best as you say as 35 would likely have to be 2.8 and may be a little slow as the main lens although the FOV will be much more adequate for M43, roughly compared to views posted here as 70mm.

The comparison to FF is not because FF is any standard but the most widely available for cheap lenses. The only important thing is for you to know you’ll get telephoto distance in your camera. Many other suggestions here will be great, as we use  many of these lenses so much and tend to compare and nitpick all the time

Belgarchi Senior Member • Posts: 2,182

A late Olympus OM is excellent.

And as a general rule I wouldn’t buy a 50mm with a minimum focusing distance of 60cm.

Belgarchi's gear list:Belgarchi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Leica D-Lux 7 Olympus PEN-F Pentax KP Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +95 more
AdaptedLenses Regular Member • Posts: 281

The 50/2 ML is quite good. The 50/1.7 is a bit better. Avoid the ML 50/1.9 and DSM, other lettering etc.

Ivan983 wrote:

What about these two? Just recently found out about Yashica sorry i really need help here :/ all this lenses look really clean and vintage(which i really like) and they are all $25 each so from the price point i cant go wrong. But if there is a difference in output and performance i would like to know it(and learn about it after all).
Japan, vintage.. what can go wrong right?:)

also would you recommend Yashica over Olympus?

AdaptedLenses's gear list:AdaptedLenses's gear list
Nikon Z5

On APS and stop 4.0 the ML 50 2.0 might beat the ML 50mm 1.7

Edit: I have the ML 50mm 2.0 but not the 1.7.  The last scored very good in The Other Side of Bokeh tests.

Rico Tudor Contributing Member • Posts: 748

Edit: I have the ML 50mm 2.0 but not the 1.7. The last scored very good in The Other Side of Bokeh tests.

Wow, never saw an official Yashica spec sheet with MTF! The 50/2 ML is just so darned cute: like a pancake but easier to operate. The corners are weak when wide open, but everything sharpens nicely when stopping down. I also have faster cousins Yashica 50/1.4 ML and CZ P50/1.4 but they cost me more than $20.

-- hide signature --

Canon, Nikon, Contax RTS, Leica M, Sony, Profoto

It's from a German magazine not a Yashica Company test.

fferreres Veteran Member • Posts: 5,321

E Dinkla wrote:

On APS and stop 4.0 the ML 50 2.0 might beat the ML 50mm 1.7

Edit: I have the ML 50mm 2.0 but not the 1.7. The last scored very good in The Other Side of Bokeh tests.

For M43 as you say, the 2.0 seems better. Very uniform resolution across the lens by f4. But both are good, it just worries me the lower resolution Wide open.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads