Film to digital.

Started 9 months ago | Questions
Gand-Alf Junior Member • Posts: 43
Film to digital.

Friends,

I was wondering what is the most practical way to convert 35mm film to digital.  I have several rolls of film from my high school photography course days I would like to convert to digital.  It is not just a matter of curiosity to see what is on it.  I already know what is there since I printed the sample sheets with small images of the corresponding photos with the film numbers.  There are some photos of friends that have passed away that I would like to make available to the family but can only do so if these are in digital format.

Thanks.

Gandalf

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 1,642
Re: Film to digital.

Gand-Alf wrote:

Friends,

I was wondering what is the most practical way to convert 35mm film to digital. I have several rolls of film from my high school photography course days I would like to convert to digital. It is not just a matter of curiosity to see what is on it. I already know what is there since I printed the sample sheets with small images of the corresponding photos with the film numbers. There are some photos of friends that have passed away that I would like to make available to the family but can only do so if these are in digital format.

Thanks.

Gandalf

If there are really only a few rolls, and you’ve no intention on taking any more, then the most practical way would be to find a lab that you trust to scan them onto a CD/DVD/Dropbox.

sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 18,941

Gand-Alf wrote:

I was wondering what is the most practical way to convert 35mm film to digital. I have several rolls of film from my high school photography course days I would like to convert to digital.

How many images need to be converted? What quality level do you want in the results (acceptable, better, best possible)? What photography related gear do you already own? Are you willing to send the negatives to a lab rather than do the job yourself? Knowing these things will help in determining what's practical or not practical for you.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,845

Are they black-and-white or colour ?

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
OP Gand-Alf Junior Member • Posts: 43

Overrank wrote:

Gand-Alf wrote:

Friends,

I was wondering what is the most practical way to convert 35mm film to digital. I have several rolls of film from my high school photography course days I would like to convert to digital. It is not just a matter of curiosity to see what is on it. I already know what is there since I printed the sample sheets with small images of the corresponding photos with the film numbers. There are some photos of friends that have passed away that I would like to make available to the family but can only do so if these are in digital format.

Thanks.

Gandalf

If there are really only a few rolls, and you’ve no intention on taking any more, then the most practical way would be to find a lab that you trust to scan them onto a CD/DVD/Dropbox.

Overrank,

Thanks for your advice on this one.

Gandalf

farmersteve
farmersteve Senior Member • Posts: 1,028

D Cox wrote:

Or color?

farmersteve's gear list:farmersteve's gear list
Sony a6000 Canon EOS RP Canon Pixma Pro-10 Canon Pixma Pro-100 +2 more
OP Gand-Alf Junior Member • Posts: 43

farmersteve wrote:

D Cox wrote:

Or color?

Black and White.

Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,510

Lot of work.

Once considered the same.

Only thing practical to me at the time was using a tabloid size bed Graphics scanner that could batch scan a coupe-few dozen frames.

SLN001
SLN001 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

As this is a one-time project I would not recommend the expense of purchasing a scanner and scanning the negatives yourself and then converting the images in Lightroom (or an equivalent).

I personally recommend sending them to The Darkroom ( https://thedarkroom.com/ ). They have developed and digitized all of my film images and their work is of very high quality. I haven't been tempted to look for another lab.

You have the option to select between three different scan densities in order to hold the cost to the level of detail that you want.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Just an Armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

SLN001's gear list:SLN001's gear list
Sony a7 II Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 +2 more
Gesture Veteran Member • Posts: 7,510

Good to hear.  Been thinking of sending them some C-41 for processing.

SLN001
SLN001 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

I doubt that you will be disappointed. Their service has been slowed recently due to the virus restrictions but the quality is still top notch.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Just an Armadillo on the shoulder of the information superhighway.

SLN001's gear list:SLN001's gear list
Sony a7 II Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 +2 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 27,845

SLN001 wrote:

I doubt that you will be disappointed. Their service has been slowed recently due to the virus restrictions but the quality is still top notch.

I don't know which labs are best; but, for a small number of films as in this case, sending them to a good lab is definitely the best thing to do.

If you had hundreds of rolls of film, I would say buy the gear and do it yourself.

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads