First Trip with G5X II

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
MaartenSFS Contributing Member • Posts: 816
First Trip with G5X II

I went on a short trip to Traverse City in Michigan about two and a half months ago, where I sold my DSLR and tested my new G5X II. Since I couldn't open up the Raw files in Photoshop CS6 it has taken me some time to figure out a new work flow.

This week I finally found some time to learn how to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional and edit the photos. I am impressed with the results that I'm getting out of DPP and it has shortened my post processing time considerably. The main reason is because, unlike with Adobe Camera Raw, I start out with essentially a Canon JPEG without the added sharpness and noise reduction, etc. This saves me a lot of time that I used to spend on adjusted the colours. There was a slight learning curve, but it was well worth it to start over with a new programme. Plus, it was free with no subscription required. After I edit the Raws in DPP I do some focused editing (such as over or underexposed areas) in Photoshop, if necessary.

Now on to the camera. I had tested out the camera for a week prior to my trip, but up in the frozen north I really got the chance to put it through its paces. As soon as I downloaded the below images into my laptop and had a gander I made my decision to sell the DSLR. The image quality is on par with my seven year old Canon 700D (detail and noise levels) and in some cases surpasses it. The camera also feels quite nice in the hand. The apature dial that everyone complains about is really not all that bad...

Some times I miss being able to use a telephoto lense and eventually I will have to buy another camera for shooting wildlife, but this camera can take photos in pretty much every other situation and fits into my pocket! The electronic viewfinder is also infinitely more useful than an optical viewfinder, eliminating the guesswork so that I can get the shot the first time and move on. The battery went flat quite quickly when I was on the trip, so I was only able to take several photos, but now in the warm weather it is lasting much longer, though I still recommend having a spare or two.

I am so glad that I sold my DSLR kit whilst I was still able to get some money for it. It served me well, but having this amount of power in my pocket, where I can easily access it is too big of an advantage to cling to old technology. The built in ND filtre also saves me a lot of time, as I used a polarising filtre for nearly every photo that I took using my DSLR. Anyways, I feel like the images below speak for themselves. The only time to go beyond f/5.6 is when shooting at close focal distances, which this camera handles very well. I hope that you enjoy the photos.

Should have used f/5.6 for this one...

Also shouldn't have used ISO 400 and used f/4.0 for this one...

To compare with photos taken using my DSLR, mostly shot in China, where I lived for eleven years until two years ago, see my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/maartensfs/albums

-- hide signature --

- Cheers, Maarten Sebastiaan Franks Spijker

MaartenSFS's gear list:MaartenSFS's gear list
Canon G5 X II
Canon EOS 700D (EOS Rebel T5i / EOS Kiss X7i) Canon PowerShot G5 X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
marksee Contributing Member • Posts: 847
Re: First Trip with G5X II

Nice shots. I have the G9X II and the G3X.  It's a great combination. You might consider the G3X to go along with your G5X II. You'll be familiar with the menus and the IQ and handling are impressive.

jabatama Junior Member • Posts: 42

marksee wrote:

Nice shots. I have the G9X II and the G3X. It's a great combination. You might consider the G3X to go along with your G5X II. You'll be familiar with the menus and the IQ and handling are impressive.

I liked the pictures.  The blu-ish colour is sort of prevalent, but may that was the intent. 
Did you push the blue colour in post, or did you change change the colour gamma  (?) in the Settings Menu ?

I like this camera G5X ii a lot and most likely will buy it when my G7X ii kicks the bucket.

telefunk
telefunk Senior Member • Posts: 2,606

MaartenSFS wrote:

I went on a short trip to Traverse City in Michigan about two and a half months ago, where I sold my DSLR and tested my new G5X II. Since I couldn't open up the Raw files in Photoshop CS6 it has taken me some time to figure out a new work flow.

This week I finally found some time to learn how to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional and edit the photos. I am impressed with the results that I'm getting out of DPP and it has shortened my post processing time considerably. The main reason is because, unlike with Adobe Camera Raw, I start out with essentially a Canon JPEG without the added sharpness and noise reduction, etc. This saves me a lot of time that I used to spend on adjusted the colours. There was a slight learning curve, but it was well worth it to start over with a new programme. Plus, it was free with no subscription required. After I edit the Raws in DPP I do some focused editing (such as over or underexposed areas) in Photoshop, if necessary.

Now on to the camera. I had tested out the camera for a week prior to my trip, but up in the frozen north I really got the chance to put it through its paces. As soon as I downloaded the below images into my laptop and had a gander I made my decision to sell the DSLR. The image quality is on par with my seven year old Canon 700D (detail and noise levels) and in some cases surpasses it. The camera also feels quite nice in the hand. The apature dial that everyone complains about is really not all that bad...

Some times I miss being able to use a telephoto lense and eventually I will have to buy another camera for shooting wildlife, but this camera can take photos in pretty much every other situation and fits into my pocket! The electronic viewfinder is also infinitely more useful than an optical viewfinder, eliminating the guesswork so that I can get the shot the first time and move on. The battery went flat quite quickly when I was on the trip, so I was only able to take several photos, but now in the warm weather it is lasting much longer, though I still recommend having a spare or two.

I am so glad that I sold my DSLR kit whilst I was still able to get some money for it. It served me well, but having this amount of power in my pocket, where I can easily access it is too big of an advantage to cling to old technology. The built in ND filtre also saves me a lot of time, as I used a polarising filtre for nearly every photo that I took using my DSLR. Anyways, I feel like the images below speak for themselves. The only time to go beyond f/5.6 is when shooting at close focal distances, which this camera handles very well. I hope that you enjoy the photos.

To compare with photos taken using my DSLR, mostly shot in China, where I lived for eleven years until two years ago, see my Flickr page: https://www.flickr.com/photos/maartensfs/albums

Tiny & not very interesting pictures. I really can't judge this camera's IQ 

telefunk's gear list:telefunk's gear list
Casio Exilim EX-ZR800 Casio EX-ZR5000 Fujifilm X-A5 +5 more
OP MaartenSFS Contributing Member • Posts: 816

Thanks, mate. A number of years ago I used a Panasonic FZ150 and loved the flexibility (see South China 2012-2014 on my Flickr page). I would consider an update of the Canon G3X if it had a viewfinder. Other than improving the experience I find that it helps stabilise the camera.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II

jabatama wrote:

marksee wrote:

Nice shots. I have the G9X II and the G3X. It's a great combination. You might consider the G3X to go along with your G5X II. You'll be familiar with the menus and the IQ and handling are impressive.

I liked the pictures. The blu-ish colour is sort of prevalent, but may that was the intent.
Did you push the blue colour in post, or did you change change the colour gamma (?) in the Settings Menu ?

I like this camera G5X ii a lot and most likely will buy it when my G7X ii kicks the bucket.

Believe it or not, the blue colour is all from Canon. My post processing was very limited and restrained. Since it was at least -15C when I took these photos I find the colour quite fitting and help it feel like a series.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II
DazeMae Regular Member • Posts: 261

FYI - You can used Adobe's DNG Converter to convert your Canon raw file into a dng format.  CS6 can easily process the converted dng file.

I tried that but was not satisfied with the colour profiles. DPP is a revelation...

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II
pacnwhobbyist Contributing Member • Posts: 789

I may be in the minority here, but I really like the lens on this camera. Not just its sharpness but its detail rendering, color, and contrast.

pacnwhobbyist's gear list:pacnwhobbyist's gear list
Canon G7 X III

I'm going to post some other shots that I have taken when I get around to editing them, but I tend to agree. I am extremely satisfied with my purchase and elated to be free from all of that equipment that I was dragging around. After all, I don't get paid for this..

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II

I understand the viewfinder issue. I do have the accessory viewfinder and I like the option of with or without. It definitely helps with stabilization of the camera while the tilt feature is a  bonus for many situations. Found mine on Ebay for $400 with the finder and lens shade kit in like new condition. Lucky for me and glad I bought it.

I didn't realise that there was an optional finder. I'd still prefer to have one integated, though. I'd be surprised if Canon doesn't ever come out with one.

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II

Unfortunately even if Canon did have plans for a model with a built in viewfinder, they might be shelved during the Pandemic or even permanently. Camera mfgrs. aren't selling much now and all are having cash flow problems. I'm afraid we may see some companies close up shop altogether.

I fully believe that that will be the case. I am so glad that I was able to pawn off my DSLR before this whole crisis came to a head. I want to move back to Europe or Asia, possibly out West after I graduate next year and until then I don't feel particularly inspired in my photography anyways.

Hordes of mosquitoes will descend upon us soon and what little motivation that I had will be eliminated.. I plan to do a trip to the Upper Pennisula of Michigan and hope to get some shots there this summer.

I really wish that I had this camera during my motorbike adventures in China. I wouldn't have missed some amazing opportunities like when there was a king cobra sitting in the middle of the road and my camera was in the boot... ;(

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II

Travel and a camera. What could be better, other than adding a motor cycle into the mix.

1gregory1
1gregory1 Regular Member • Posts: 202

marksee wrote:

Travel and a camera. What could be better, other than adding a motor cycle into the mix.

A lady companion works for me.

Haha, my wife was with me for the last several years, through floods and crazy bad roads.

Here's a short documentary about our last trip that I cobbled together: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aOCo-rfSs-s&t=600s

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II
1gregory1
1gregory1 Regular Member • Posts: 202

Outstanding video.

Thanks, mate. It's been two years since then and I feel like a part of me is dying. I need to get back out there...

-- hide signature --

Canon G5 X II
0lf
0lf Senior Member • Posts: 1,241

MaartenSFS wrote:

Also shouldn't have used ISO 400 and used f/4.0 for this one...

I would say, your choice of aperture seems good to me, as a narrow aperture allows here to create the rays from the sun, and you had enough shutter speed headroom to shoot ISO 125.

0lf's gear list:0lf's gear list
Sony RX1 Fujifilm X70 Canon G7 X II Apple iPhone 6s
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads