The best thing about M4/3

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Marty4650
Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,718
The best thing about M4/3
54

The best thing M4/3 has going for it is this:

  • All are autofocus lenses
  • All are designed expressly for the Four Thirds sensor
  • All are native mount, and do not require adapters
  • All are modern lenses, created in a relatively short period

You can find systems with bigger sensors but you would be hard pressed to find one with a more comprehensive lens selection or more weather sealed options.

 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
Wu Jiaqiu
Wu Jiaqiu Forum Pro • Posts: 26,821
Re: The best thing about M4/3
26

good chart...looks nice and sharp in the corners too

-- hide signature --

the computer says no

 Wu Jiaqiu's gear list:Wu Jiaqiu's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Nikon D2Xs Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +3 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,849
Re: The best thing about M4/3
6

Marty4650 wrote:

The best thing M4/3 has going for it is this:

  • All are autofocus lenses
  • All are designed expressly for the Four Thirds sensor
  • All are native mount, and do not require adapters
  • All are modern lenses, created in a relatively short period

You can find systems with bigger sensors but you would be hard pressed to find one with a more comprehensive lens selection or more weather sealed options.

There are rather a lot of lenses for Sony FE mount, although many of the best ones are MF. Excluding cine lenses, there are well over 100.

Not that I disagree about the excellent selection for MFT.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

 ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
rashid7
rashid7 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,548
Re: The best thing about M4/3
3

Yes... but 10 duplicates, w/ absolutely no optical changes (-;

But then there are about that many fine MF lenses... and more (-;

-- hide signature --

Keep it fun!

Dennis1972 Regular Member • Posts: 449
Re: The best thing about M4/3
14

Um quality > quantity.

All can only be mounted in front of a max 20mp sensor a quarter of the size of FF, not to mention FF only needs a mediocre lens to pump out better output....

 Dennis1972's gear list:Dennis1972's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Canon EOS R Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +2 more
Jonas Palm Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
Re: The best thing about M4/3
1

ahaslett wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

The best thing M4/3 has going for it is this:

  • All are autofocus lenses
  • All are designed expressly for the Four Thirds sensor
  • All are native mount, and do not require adapters
  • All are modern lenses, created in a relatively short period

You can find systems with bigger sensors but you would be hard pressed to find one with a more comprehensive lens selection or more weather sealed options.

There are rather a lot of lenses for Sony FE mount, although many of the best ones are MF. Excluding cine lenses, there are well over 100.

Not that I disagree about the excellent selection for MFT.

Andrew

Yup, Sony being open with their mount was the right move. There is a quickly growing number of really nice lenses for FE, and the majority of the small, good, inexpensive lenses come from third parties.

 Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
cba_melbourne Senior Member • Posts: 2,987
Re: The best thing about M4/3
2

rashid7 wrote:

Yes... but 10 duplicates, w/ absolutely no optical changes (-;

But then there are about that many fine MF lenses... and more (-;

Yes, many manual lenses.

And the two Yi - Kodak lenses have AF, 42.5mm and 12-45. And the Tamron 14-150 has AF too. Can all still be bought. They should belong to the OP's list.

 cba_melbourne's gear list:cba_melbourne's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +13 more
Jonas Palm Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
Re: The best thing about M4/3

Dennis1972 wrote:

Um quality > quantity.

All can only be mounted in front of a max 20mp sensor a quarter of the size of FF, not to mention FF only needs a mediocre lens to pump out better output....

True.
Lenses in m43 are undersampled by the low resolution sensors, and it’s a bit mystifying - having higher resolution sensors would make a better case for the higher end/higher margin optics that manufacturers produce. When higher resolution optics mainly go to producing more aliasing, what is the point beyond GAS? It would seem a no brainer business wise in terms of vitalising their market. (Not to mention that being known as the lowest resolution format in existance isn’t particularly helpful in the enthusiast market place.)

There’s a bunch of really sweet lenses in m43. Give them the opportunity to show what they can do!

 Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Zabalint Regular Member • Posts: 267
Re: The best thing about M4/3
5

Actually many of them are very good lenses.

And don't think that it's fair to compare with FF, which has not just bigger sensor, but everything is much bigger and heavier, and the main user group is professionals, not enthusiasts. MFT's main rivals are APS-C systems.

 Zabalint's gear list:Zabalint's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Panasonic GX850 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Olympus 9mm F8 Fish-Eye Body Cap Lens Panasonic Lumix G Vario 35-100mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,849
Re: The best thing about M4/3
1

Jonas Palm wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

The best thing M4/3 has going for it is this:

  • All are autofocus lenses
  • All are designed expressly for the Four Thirds sensor
  • All are native mount, and do not require adapters
  • All are modern lenses, created in a relatively short period

You can find systems with bigger sensors but you would be hard pressed to find one with a more comprehensive lens selection or more weather sealed options.

There are rather a lot of lenses for Sony FE mount, although many of the best ones are MF. Excluding cine lenses, there are well over 100.

Not that I disagree about the excellent selection for MFT.

Andrew

Yup, Sony being open with their mount was the right move. There is a quickly growing number of really nice lenses for FE, and the majority of the small, good, inexpensive lenses come from third parties.

I’m not sure that inexpensive would be my chosen adjective!  There are certainly more cost effective lenses from the third party brands.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

 ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
Jonas Palm Senior Member • Posts: 1,037
Re: The best thing about M4/3
2

ahaslett wrote:

Jonas Palm wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

The best thing M4/3 has going for it is this:

  • All are autofocus lenses
  • All are designed expressly for the Four Thirds sensor
  • All are native mount, and do not require adapters
  • All are modern lenses, created in a relatively short period

You can find systems with bigger sensors but you would be hard pressed to find one with a more comprehensive lens selection or more weather sealed options.

There are rather a lot of lenses for Sony FE mount, although many of the best ones are MF. Excluding cine lenses, there are well over 100.

Not that I disagree about the excellent selection for MFT.

Andrew

Yup, Sony being open with their mount was the right move. There is a quickly growing number of really nice lenses for FE, and the majority of the small, good, inexpensive lenses come from third parties.

I’m not sure that inexpensive would be my chosen adjective! There are certainly more cost effective lenses from the third party brands.

Andrew

LOL! Well, inexpensive is a relative term I guess.
But lenses like the Samyang AF 75f1.8, 45f1.8 and 24f2.8, would make for a fantastic system with the A7r4 - a modern version of my 28/45/90mm Contax G system, and at a kilo in total weight with the camera body, remarkably similar in overall dimensions.
Or the Tamron 17-28 for that matter, or....

The FE lens selection is getting good. Sony/Zeiss is doing a credible job of it themselves but some interesting niches are getting fleshed out by third parties. m43s native lens selection is great, and still improving, but it has gotten company in overall capability.

 Jonas Palm's gear list:Jonas Palm's gear list
Olympus E-M1
MisterBG Veteran Member • Posts: 7,198
Re: The best thing about M4/3
27

I use FF, APS-C and m4/3 cameras, for different subjects, and usually for different reasons.

One thing that I find particularly annoying is the number of posts on this m4/3 forum which appear to justify the existence of m4/3, as if m4/3 users have some kind of inferiority complex.

 MisterBG's gear list:MisterBG's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony a6000 Olympus PEN-F Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS 5D Mark IV +15 more
Marty4650
OP Marty4650 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,718
Re: The best thing about M4/3
3

cba_melbourne wrote:

rashid7 wrote:

Yes... but 10 duplicates, w/ absolutely no optical changes (-;

But then there are about that many fine MF lenses... and more (-;

Yes, many manual lenses.

And the two Yi - Kodak lenses have AF, 42.5mm and 12-45. And the Tamron 14-150 has AF too. Can all still be bought. They should belong to the OP's list.

cba....

The YI and Kodak lenses are missing because I used the DPR lens database as my source. But the Tamron is there! (Look closely... last column, fourth one down). 

rashid....

True, but which system has no duplicates? Fuji X has version twos for their XC kit lenses plus a few weather sealed variants, and Sony E has three different 18-200mm lenses. And Nikon has had three versions of their 50mm f/1.8 lens and six versions of their 18-55mm kit lens.

 Marty4650's gear list:Marty4650's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +16 more
Okapi001 Senior Member • Posts: 5,093
Re: The best thing about M4/3
21

MisterBG wrote:

I use FF, APS-C and m4/3 cameras, for different subjects, and usually for different reasons.

One thing that I find particularly annoying is the number of posts on this m4/3 forum which appear to justify the existence of m4/3, as if m4/3 users have some kind of inferiority complex.

The only really annoying thing in this forum are patronizing and condescending posts like yours.

 Okapi001's gear list:Okapi001's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus OM-D E-M1X Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +16 more
Frdric BERNARD Regular Member • Posts: 299
Re: The best thing about M4/3
2

We are close to M43 bashing and hacking !!!

 Frdric BERNARD's gear list:Frdric BERNARD's gear list
Olympus TG-5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 Fisheye +16 more
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 60,769
Re: The best thing about M4/3
14

MisterBG wrote:

I use FF, APS-C and m4/3 cameras, for different subjects, and usually for different reasons.

One thing that I find particularly annoying is the number of posts on this m4/3 forum which appear to justify the existence of m4/3, as if m4/3 users have some kind of inferiority complex.

it`s probably driven by many of the APS_C crowd writing off M43 because of sensor size , they seem to enjoy that - and that maybe driven by Glass envy ....

one of the things these DP review forums are rife with , and have been since their dawn 21 years ago is Purchase Defence across the board from Compacts to Medium format . it`s one of the the biggest diseases here along with rudeness, trolling and irrational Brand worship / defence .. this is a useful place so long as you have a thick skin

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

 AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Sony RX10 III Nikon D610 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9
ahaslett
ahaslett Veteran Member • Posts: 6,849
Re: The best thing about M4/3

Jonas Palm wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Jonas Palm wrote:

ahaslett wrote:

Marty4650 wrote:

The best thing M4/3 has going for it is this:

  • All are autofocus lenses
  • All are designed expressly for the Four Thirds sensor
  • All are native mount, and do not require adapters
  • All are modern lenses, created in a relatively short period

You can find systems with bigger sensors but you would be hard pressed to find one with a more comprehensive lens selection or more weather sealed options.

There are rather a lot of lenses for Sony FE mount, although many of the best ones are MF. Excluding cine lenses, there are well over 100.

Not that I disagree about the excellent selection for MFT.

Andrew

Yup, Sony being open with their mount was the right move. There is a quickly growing number of really nice lenses for FE, and the majority of the small, good, inexpensive lenses come from third parties.

I’m not sure that inexpensive would be my chosen adjective! There are certainly more cost effective lenses from the third party brands.

Andrew

LOL! Well, inexpensive is a relative term I guess.
But lenses like the Samyang AF 75f1.8, 45f1.8 and 24f2.8, would make for a fantastic system with the A7r4 - a modern version of my 28/45/90mm Contax G system, and at a kilo in total weight with the camera body, remarkably similar in overall dimensions.
Or the Tamron 17-28 for that matter, or....

The FE lens selection is getting good. Sony/Zeiss is doing a credible job of it themselves but some interesting niches are getting fleshed out by third parties. m43s native lens selection is great, and still improving, but it has gotten company in overall capability.

My gear list lacks but a Sigma FE 35/1.2.  Bit of a whopper, not sure I’d carry it enough.  The Tamron WA zoom would make a tempting two lens kit with the standard zoom.

I have a choice coming up in a few years whether to buy a used EM1.3 or A7R4 and then how to rationalise my kit.
Quite content for the time being.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

Infinite are the arguments of mages. Truth is a jewel with many facets. Ursula K LeGuin

 ahaslett's gear list:ahaslett's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-M1 Sony a7R Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +27 more
daleeight Senior Member • Posts: 2,700
Re: The best thing about M4/3
1

Frdric BERNARD wrote:

We are close to M43 bashing and hacking !!!

And you expected something less from the original post?

-- hide signature --

Dale

 daleeight's gear list:daleeight's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus PEN-F Nikon Z6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 +4 more
James Stirling
James Stirling Senior Member • Posts: 8,017
Re: The best thing about M4/3

Quite a selection  now . All I would add would be a few updated pancake primes , a couple of UWA primes would be nice , either super fast for the astro guys or nice and compact .

And finally a longer native macro lens other than that we are good to go. Perhaps a PC-E lens when you can use the pixel shift mode it would be a good if limited appeal addition.

-- hide signature --

Jim Stirling:
It is not reason which is the guide of life, but custom. David Hume

 James Stirling's gear list:James Stirling's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon Z7 +11 more
bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 1,954
Re: The best thing about M4/3
1

MisterBG wrote:

I use FF, APS-C and m4/3 cameras, for different subjects, and usually for different reasons.

One thing that I find particularly annoying is the number of posts on this m4/3 forum which appear to justify the existence of m4/3, as if m4/3 users have some kind of inferiority complex.

Not only that but they only shot Birds In Flight 

 bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads