Mac software for voice recording?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 756
Mac software for voice recording?

Anyone can recommend a nice mac app for voice recording, when one can monitor voice recorded? Garageband can do it, any other apps?

StoneJack's gear list:StoneJack's gear list
Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
johnbandry Senior Member • Posts: 2,938
Re: Mac software for voice recording?

Audacity https://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/

-- hide signature --

John Bandry
“Reason is poor propaganda when opposed by the yammering, unceasing lies of ... self-serving men” - Robert A. Heinlein

johnbandry's gear list:johnbandry's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +3 more
ChrisLumix Veteran Member • Posts: 3,111

Yeah, Audacity has a bit of a steep learning curve and it's not what you'd call pretty. However it's very powerful, it's free, and it's become something of a standard.

-- hide signature --

Panas0n!c Lum!x LX100, TZ60

Kevin Novak Regular Member • Posts: 228

Definitely Audacity. Lots of free tutorials on YouTube.

Word of caution. It does not open properly on Catalina. You'll have to run a Terminal script to make it work. I found a script online and made an Automator action to open it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DLzZrHThQ

-- hide signature --

www.facebook.com/KevinNovakPhoto

Kevin Novak's gear list:Kevin Novak's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Sony a6400 +17 more
Jim in Hudson Senior Member • Posts: 2,465

StoneJack wrote:

Anyone can recommend a nice mac app for voice recording, when one can monitor voice recorded? Garageband can do it, any other apps?

You can record with various Apple apps on a Mac. Scroll down past the iPhone/iPad section to "Record Audio on a Mac":

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208845

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Pentax K-3 Fujifilm X-T3 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4 +1 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,778

The built-in QuickTime Player can record video and audio from the camera, the microphone, on the Mac, or from a connected iOS device. It’s gotten a lot more powerful in recent macOS versions. Look under the File menu for New Audio Recording.

If you can’t hear when trying to monitor, check the volume slider, I think it defaults to zero to avoid surprise feedback.

graybalanced wrote:

The built-in QuickTime Player can record video and audio from the camera, the microphone, on the Mac, or from a connected iOS device. It’s gotten a lot more powerful in recent macOS versions. Look under the File menu for New Audio Recording.

If you can’t hear when trying to monitor, check the volume slider, I think it defaults to zero to avoid surprise feedback.

That was there at least as long ago as QT7 !! I just launched it to check...

-- hide signature --

OP StoneJack Contributing Member • Posts: 756

jonhbandry, ChrisLumix, Kevin Novak,

Thanks a lot for suggesting Audacity. I think I'll wait until version 2.4, which is not buggy and works properly on Catalina. I certainly like its features, have tried it before.

Jim In Hudson, graybalanced,

Thanks for Mac built in tools. Certainly it helps that there are such good tools available. QuickTime also monitors sound, which is perfect. I just want probably more control over recording such as its parameters, also being able to see and edit the wave and apply denoising etc.

Surprisingly, so far I can't find anything better than free Garageband, even among paid apps. Actually, I found that paid Mac apps sometimes much worse or have less abilities than free Garageband, Ocenaudio, Audacity.

But I am continuing searching. Ideally, I'd like to see an app, which also stores the list of recordings (management features) with a library, and allows for various editing as well as monitoring. It seems that professional apps of that quality cost up to 100 bucks and more.

Nikon D7500 Nikon Z6 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +5 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 6,778

What I mean about “more powerful” is not just being able to record audio, but other newer aspects of QT Player. The current version is now a pretty good screen recorder, and what has been useful to me is QTP being able to screen record a connected iOS device, or play the audio from a connected iOS device through the Mac (which is connected to good speakers).

graybalanced wrote:

What I mean about “more powerful” is not just being able to record audio, but other newer aspects of QT Player. The current version is now a pretty good screen recorder, and what has been useful to me is QTP being able to screen record a connected iOS device, or play the audio from a connected iOS device through the Mac (which is connected to good speakers).

Thank you! It is interesting. Now, to be honest, it is a bit hard to use QT for recording, but it is good to know it is there and it is so powerful. The iOS connection is amazing, though.

Kevin Novak wrote:

Definitely Audacity. Lots of free tutorials on YouTube.

Word of caution. It does not open properly on Catalina. You'll have to run a Terminal script to make it work. I found a script online and made an Automator action to open it properly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_DLzZrHThQ

I just downloaded Version 2.4.1, finally good for Catalina.

lightandaprayer Senior Member • Posts: 3,765

StoneJack wrote:

But I am continuing searching. Ideally, I'd like to see an app, which also stores the list of recordings (management features) with a library, and allows for various editing as well as monitoring. It seems that professional apps of that quality cost up to 100 bucks and more.

AudioHijack ($59) is one of the best Mac audio recording apps and it has been around forever. It's a lot easier to use than Audacity. You can demo AudioHijack to see if it has the features you need.

AudioHijack

lightandaprayer wrote:

StoneJack wrote:

AudioHijack ($59) is one of the best Mac audio recording apps and it has been around forever. It's a lot easier to use than Audacity. You can demo AudioHijack to see if it has the features you need.

AudioHijack

To be honest, I'm still using the AHijack demo - as long as your recordings are less than 10 minutes each, you can use it forever!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads