Why is it that some pictures just speak to you ?

Started 3 months ago | Photos
Guy Churchward
Guy Churchward Contributing Member • Posts: 774
Why is it that some pictures just speak to you ?

So there I am, waiting for a hummingbird to fly onto a newly open red hot poker when a Pygmy Nuthatch wandered by.. grabbed a quick snap and somehow just love the accidental front and rear DOF, can’t put my finger on why I like it but it just has that certain something which I am sure is personal to us all...

Dang Hummingbird never showed but was worth the wait and also got to listen to a bit more of Lenny Henry’s book autobiography !

Guy Churchward's gear list:Guy Churchward's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Chaplain Mark
Chaplain Mark Senior Member • Posts: 6,531
Re: Why is it that some pictures just speak to you ?

Guy Churchward wrote:

So there I am, waiting for a hummingbird to fly onto a newly open red hot poker when a Pygmy Nuthatch wandered by.. grabbed a quick snap and somehow just love the accidental front and rear DOF, can’t put my finger on why I like it but it just has that certain something which I am sure is personal to us all...

Dang Hummingbird never showed but was worth the wait and also got to listen to a bit more of Lenny Henry’s book autobiography !

Nice subject isolation via DOF without cropping.

That's why I like this shot.

-- hide signature --

Thank You,
Chaplain Mark
-----
'Tis better to have a camera and not need one than to need a camera and not have one.
--------------
In pursuit of photographic excellence.

Chaplain Mark's gear list:Chaplain Mark's gear list
Canon G3 X Canon PowerShot G5 X Sony a7R III Sony FE 135mm F1.8 GM +3 more
Donald B
Donald B Forum Pro • Posts: 16,574

Its saying to me CROP

Don

-- hide signature --

Olympus EM1mk2, Sony A7r2
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9412035244
past toys. k100d, k10d,k7,fz5,fz150,500uz,canon G9, Olympus xz1 em5mk1 em5mk2

Guy Churchward
OP Guy Churchward Contributing Member • Posts: 774

Then show me how you would

Sony RX100 II Sony a7R IV Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more
dkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

My crop would be to get rid of as much of the foreground OOF part as possible without messing up the composition.  The OOF background is nice and works well, but the OOF foreground I distracting.

dkeller's gear list:dkeller's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony SLT-A68 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,905

Guy Churchward wrote:

Its a great photo of a charming subject, so I think its speaking to more than just you!

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony a6500 +18 more
Lan Senior Member • Posts: 1,871

Very nicely captured Guy; great shot!

I can see why it appeals; I think at least in part because the bird and it's surroundings are so harmonious in colouring? The crisply defined plane of focus is pleasing too.

If it were mine, the only thing I'd be tempted to do with it is apply a bit of noise reduction; at 100% there's a lot of chroma noise.

I hope you don't mind, but I've run it through Topaz DeNoise AI using the AI Clear model:

There are a couple of small patches of noise to clear up still, but on the whole it did an excellent job. Well worth investing in a copy IMO

Guy Churchward

Don’t mind at all Lan.... the point of forums is to play, enjoy and learn ..

ukbassman Regular Member • Posts: 103

I always feel bad for suggesting stuff on C&C posts as the photos are always far better than anything I can take! But for me in this one the colourful rock up top needs cropped or at least desaturated. It keeps drawing my eye more than bird because of the size and the colour.

ukbassman's gear list:ukbassman's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic 20mm F1.7 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Guy Churchward

Don’t feel bad, I used to use Woophy ages ago and anything I loved didn’t score well and anything with a baby or puppy used to be raved over ..l always good to see how others see pics.. helps me adjust...

greg57 Contributing Member • Posts: 710

I love your picture. Regarding your question, Roland Barthes has developed in his book "La chambre Claire" ("Camera Lucida" in English) the concept of punctum, which is - I'm quoting Wikipedia, "the wounding, personally touching detail which establishes a direct relationship with the object or person within it". In this case, I would say it's the vulnerability of this small bird, isolated, with a defensive posture, looking at something outside the frame.

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic
gregorydziedzic.com

greg57's gear list:greg57's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +2 more

greg57 wrote:

I love your picture. Regarding your question, Roland Barthes has developed in his book "La chambre Claire" ("Camera Lucida" in English) the concept of punctum, which is - I'm quoting Wikipedia, "the wounding, personally touching detail which establishes a direct relationship with the object or person within it". In this case, I would say it's the vulnerability of this small bird, isolated, with a defensive posture, looking at something outside the frame.

Note to self: never again write in DPReview a comment that's not about gear, sharpness or autofocus 

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic
gregorydziedzic.com

Panasonic GX850 Sony a7 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +2 more
dkeller Senior Member • Posts: 1,513

Why?  I thought your previous comment was interesting and to point.

dkeller's gear list:dkeller's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony SLT-A68 Tamron 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +4 more
Guy Churchward

+1 ... refreshingly different

Thanks. Seems like I'm a grown-up still in need of validation and can't stomach not having a comment answered to within less than 24 hours.

-- hide signature --

Gregory Dziedzic
gregorydziedzic.com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads