Cheapest graphic tablet worth buying

Started 5 months ago | Questions
Sir Macadamia Regular Member • Posts: 139
Cheapest graphic tablet worth buying

Im on a Mac and am getting tired of using a touch pad/mouse for drawing, has anyone tried the chines Wacom like devices? or what's the best valve device around right now? second had is good.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
CraigVMN Contributing Member • Posts: 738
Re: Cheapest graphic tablet worth buying

I bought a used Huion 610 Pro. It's not a very old model, but no matter which driver I install, the Huion app always shows the tablet as being disconnected. Looking around on other forums, this is a common, known issue Huion has no intention of correcting.

I know other people who use different models of the Huion and like them fine, just make sure the model you choose has current working drivers for your computer. I also bought a used Wacom tablet (about the same age) and it works fine, and the surface just feels better.

CraigVMN's gear list:CraigVMN's gear list
Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon AF-P 70-300mm F4.5-6.3G VR Nikon 10-20mm F4.5-5.6 VR
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 16,521

CraigVMN wrote:

I bought a used Huion 610 Pro. It's not a very old model, but no matter which driver I install, the Huion app always shows the tablet as being disconnected. Looking around on other forums, this is a common, known issue Huion has no intention of correcting.

I know other people who use different models of the Huion and like them fine, just make sure the model you choose has current working drivers for your computer. I also bought a used Wacom tablet (about the same age) and it works fine, and the surface just feels better.

There is a reason why pro's use Wacom...

Huion suppose to be quite good as well. make sure you chose a model with a battery-less pen.

Cariboo Contributing Member • Posts: 668

Sir Macadamia wrote:

Im on a Mac and am getting tired of using a touch pad/mouse for drawing, has anyone tried the chines Wacom like devices? or what's the best valve device around right now? second had is good.

I use either of 2 quite old Wacom tablets (10+ years) & they work perfectly with any of my W10 upgraded PCs. I have no experience with how they might work with Apple produccts.

Cost for me used 10 years ago was $75 for one, $100 for the other. Today, they should cost under $50. They don't have the side buttons that the newer Wacoms do, but I see no need for those buttons anyway.

I do use the old drivers though, as often the newer Wacom drivers that supposedly address certain problems, also introduced other problems. I just did trial & error of the older Wacom drivers until I found one that just worked. Pretty easy.

So I'd check eBay or photo forums or Craigslist or ??? So many people try Wacom tablets but give up so incredibly soon that there are many many sitting in drawers or collecting dust that there should be many around.

Higher resolution tablets are more precise & have less "jitter", over the lower priced & lower spec Bamboo models. So I'd look for & buy a used Wacom of nearly any vintage & if you are not a high speed high volume retoucher, I sincerely doubt you will need any of the bells & whistles of newer Wacoms.

CameraCarl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,192

Blake Rudis recommended an inexpensive XP-Pen tablet last year. I bought one and have been happy with it considering the price.  See:

https://f64academy.com/best-pen-tablet-photoshop/

flyinglentris
flyinglentris Senior Member • Posts: 1,324

Toermalijn wrote:

CraigVMN wrote:

There is a reason why pro's use Wacom...

Huion suppose to be quite good as well. make sure you chose a model with a battery-less pen.

Is one difference between Wacom Intuo Pro and Cintiq the fact that the Cintiq does Color, while both are used for Digital Pen Drawing and Display?

Given, the Cintiq may have other differences in screen size and interfacing, as well.

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

On the Cintiq, you are actually drawing on an LCD screen compared to other Wacom tablets where you are drawing on a black pad while watching the effects of the pen on your own monitor. The Cintiq can be more precise because of this. The other big difference is a huge difference in price.

flyinglentris

CameraCarl wrote:

On the Cintiq, you are actually drawing on an LCD screen compared to other Wacom tablets where you are drawing on a black pad while watching the effects of the pen on your own monitor. The Cintiq can be more precise because of this. The other big difference is a huge difference in price.

About US $150.   It won't kill me.

Q:   If using the other Wacom Tablets, does the color display matter in terms of color, ie. can the vector parts of the drawing be colored in the Application being interfaced to?

-- hide signature --

"If you are among those who believe that it has all been done already and nothing new can be achieved, you've murdered your own artistry before ever letting it live. You abort it in its fetal state. There is much that has yet to be spoken in art and composition and it grows with the passage of time. Evolving technologies, world environments and ideologies all drive change in thoughts, passion and expression. There is no way that it can all ever be done already. And therein lies the venue for the creative artist, a venue that is as diverse as the universe is unmapped and unexplored." - Quote from FlyingLentris
~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

flyinglentris wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

About US $150. It won't kill me.

I don't know where you can get a Cintiq for $150. Around here they start at $650 and go well into the $2000+ range.

flyinglentris

CameraCarl wrote:

flyinglentris wrote:

CameraCarl wrote:

About US $150. It won't kill me.

I don't know where you can get a Cintiq for $150. Around here they start at $650 and go well into the $2000+ range.

Not $150, but $150 + the price of the other.   My Apologies.

-- hide signature --

~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,342
Kamvas 13

Sir Macadamia wrote:

My daughter has been using Wacom Intuos 4 for a few years. She has asked for a Cintiq but the price was too high. Huion recently released the Kamvas 13 that is better than their previous Pro 13 while being cheaper, so I pulled the trigger for $240 on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Huion-KAMVAS-13-Graphics-Drawing-Pen-Tablet-Tilt-Support-Battery-free-Pen-8-Keys/233544520157

https://www.huion.com/pen_display/Kamvas/kamvas-13.html

I've also bought an HDMI extension cable and a USB extension cable, thus, she can draw on her bed 10ft away from the computer. So far, she's super happy with it:

- no guessing of the strokes, she sees exactly where she's drawing, like on paper. A huge upgrade from the drawing tablet.
- laminated screen almost has no parallax between the cursor and the pen tip, the film texture is like paper.
- full pen pressure and tilt, just like the Wacom

I calibrated it with a Color Munki, 120% sRGB, but only 150cd/m2 at highest brightness. Not really a problem. You can also turn off the screen to use it as a drawing tablet instead of pen display (but I don't see why

Wacom has a serious competitor now, this Kamvas 13 is even better than their expensive Wacom One:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP_-kE0b8WE

roger2013 Regular Member • Posts: 223
Re: Kamvas 13

If you already have an iPad, preferably one that will work with an Apple pencil, you may have a device you can use already. Catalina has the software to use an iPad as an external touch-screen monitor built in. If you have the iPad already this is the cheapest option. Put using iPad as graphics tablet into a search engine and you will find opinions on how usable it is.

sluggy_warrior Senior Member • Posts: 2,342
Re: Kamvas 13

roger2013 wrote:

If you already have an iPad, preferably one that will work with an Apple pencil, you may have a device you can use already. Catalina has the software to use an iPad as an external touch-screen monitor built in. If you have the iPad already this is the cheapest option. Put using iPad as graphics tablet into a search engine and you will find opinions on how usable it is.

ah, nice to know but I'm not into paying extra premium for Apple's ecosystem. I've just built a gaming desktop with my daughter.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XZpzjp

The Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT has 2 DisplayPorts driving her two 27" QHD monitors (144Hz IPS with FreeSync), and two HDMI ports with the Kamvas 13 using one of them (basically as a third monitor, so she can draw while using the two big monitors for other tasks).

I prefer freedom so I've been using Ubuntu the last 10+ years, pretty happy with my Dell 7567, the GTX 1050Ti speeds up darktable significantly. Of course, I got to inherit the Wacom tablets from her but I don't have an artist in me

flyinglentris

Sir Macadamia wrote:

I'm revisiting this thread as being into digital art, the products are certainly something I can put to use.

BTW: Wacom is a Japanese product, not Chinese.   Huion is Chinese.

I'm not to iffy about expense, more quality and purpose.    To that end, I have been looking at the Wacom Cintiq 22.

My purpose for re-opening this thread is to see if anyone has any comment on why the Cintiq 22 is rated the best tablet on the market and not the Cintiq 22HD which seems to have some extra bells and whistles.

-- hide signature --

~
flyinglentris in LLOMA

LastBrat New Member • Posts: 1

Price depends a lot on what you want to do. If you want to be a 2d animator, or if your main goal is to draw 2d objects; an expensive drawing tablet is what you are going to need; (especially one that has a screen that you can look directly into). Most likely a Wacom Cintiq / XP-Pen Artist .

If you are looking into modeling, or making 3d objects, just get a XP-Pen Deco MINI4 , ( https://www.xp-pen.com/product/639.html ). So, it depends on what you are planning to use the drawing tablet for.

The most important thing is that you focus on improving your skills rather than getting the most expensive tools.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads