Video remote control for E-M1 II?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions
msatlas Junior Member • Posts: 37
Video remote control for E-M1 II?

I'm shooting a youtube cooking show in my kitchen with my E-M1 II, and while I have my wife to help me operate the camera some of the time, there are other times where I'm doing it on my own. I'm trying to figure out a way to remotely control video recording where I'm already in the shot and can tuck a remote in my pocket, but I'm not yet at a viable solution.

I've played around with using the OI.Share remote control in live view mode with the camera set to video mode, but it forces the camera to record in 1080p instead of 4k. If I put OI.Share in remote shutter mode, I can't figure out any way to record video, as best I can tell it's working like a cable release, and only trips the shutter button which I believe is activating the AF.

I've seen a little bit of info out there, but nothing specific, that this 1080p forcing from OI.Share might be because I have an Android phone. But I don't have any iPhones available to try testing it out with my camera.

I found the Olympus RM-CB2 cable release, which I'm guessing is similarly useless for video as the remote cable release mode in OI.Share, and even if it could control video, doesn't really help my use case because I'd still have to walk over to the camera, hit record, and walk back into the shot. JJC makes this wireless version of the RM-CB2, but I don't believe there are any video controls here either.

What I'm really wanting to find is something similar to one of the many remotes from Sony that have video recording controls. For example, this RMT-DSLR2.

All I need is a little red record button like this and I'd be golden. Does anybody know of anything along these lines that would work with the E-M1 II? Thanks!

Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,169
Re: Video remote control for E-M1 II?

msatlas wrote:

I'm shooting a youtube cooking show in my kitchen with my E-M1 II, and while I have my wife to help me operate the camera some of the time, there are other times where I'm doing it on my own. I'm trying to figure out a way to remotely control video recording where I'm already in the shot and can tuck a remote in my pocket, but I'm not yet at a viable solution.

I've played around with using the OI.Share remote control in live view mode with the camera set to video mode, but it forces the camera to record in 1080p instead of 4k. If I put OI.Share in remote shutter mode, I can't figure out any way to record video, as best I can tell it's working like a cable release, and only trips the shutter button which I believe is activating the AF.

I've seen a little bit of info out there, but nothing specific, that this 1080p forcing from OI.Share might be because I have an Android phone. But I don't have any iPhones available to try testing it out with my camera.

I found the Olympus RM-CB2 cable release, which I'm guessing is similarly useless for video as the remote cable release mode in OI.Share, and even if it could control video, doesn't really help my use case because I'd still have to walk over to the camera, hit record, and walk back into the shot. JJC makes this wireless version of the RM-CB2, but I don't believe there are any video controls here either.

What I'm really wanting to find is something similar to one of the many remotes from Sony that have video recording controls. For example, this RMT-DSLR2.

All I need is a little red record button like this and I'd be golden. Does anybody know of anything along these lines that would work with the E-M1 II? Thanks!

I map the video record button to Magnify for my stills shooting, and set it to OFF for video. The shutter button starts recording when in video mode, and any remote cable or wireless remote release will then start/stop video recording.

I use a Pixel Soldier wireless flash trigger with an Olympus remote shutter cable.

Works just fine in 4k.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more
joeletx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,033

I record my own cooking tip too. Just set it on tripod, pre-focus with MF to the cutting board or the pan and let it rip. I cut the unwanted videos and add captions later at the video editing part.

joeletx's gear list:joeletx's gear list
Olympus E-500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 18-180mm 1:3.5-6.3 +8 more
OP msatlas Junior Member • Posts: 37

john isaacs wrote:

I map the video record button to Magnify for my stills shooting, and set it to OFF for video. The shutter button starts recording when in video mode, and any remote cable or wireless remote release will then start/stop video recording.

I use a Pixel Soldier wireless flash trigger with an Olympus remote shutter cable.

Works just fine in 4k.

Very interesting, I doubt I would've come up with this on my own. Thanks!

I figured out remapping the buttons as you described. I was a little puzzled at first until I realized I had to specifically assign the shutter button to start/stop recording after I deactivated the record button.

Oddly enough, even with the record button disabled and the shutter button reassigned to record, using the wireless shutter release mode of OI.Share doesn't start recording video. I'm sure this is because OI.Share is terrible, and not because your idea won't work.

I went down the rabbit hole with these generic remote releases. Apparently the 2.5mm shutter cables used by the E-M1 II and a couple other recent Olympus models are very common on Canon and Pentax cameras among others. I found this Pixel remote release that's nominally for Canon and others, but the description says it's compatible with the E-M1 II. This is more desirable than the JJC options because both the remote and the receiver take plain old regular AAA batteries and not weird ones like the JJCs. Going to take a flyer on it and see if it does the trick.

john isaacs Veteran Member • Posts: 4,169

msatlas wrote:

john isaacs wrote:

Works just fine in 4k.

Very interesting, I doubt I would've come up with this on my own. Thanks!

I figured out remapping the buttons as you described. I was a little puzzled at first until I realized I had to specifically assign the shutter button to start/stop recording after I deactivated the record button.

Oddly enough, even with the record button disabled and the shutter button reassigned to record, using the wireless shutter release mode of OI.Share doesn't start recording video. I'm sure this is because OI.Share is terrible, and not because your idea won't work. So I suppose a remote release like the JJC in my original post could in fact do the trick.

For whatever reason JJC makes two different remote releases that work with the E-M1 II. The JM-J2 II in my original post, and the ES-628O3. The only differences between them appear to be styling, what radio frequency they use (433 MHz vs. 2.4 GHz) and type of batteries they take. Both are only available from ebay sellers from outside the US and who knows how long international shipping will take these days. So I'm going to go down the rabbit hole a little bit trying to find something comparable.

Most wireless flash triggers will also work as a remote shutter release. You just need to add a remote shutter cable.

Get one of these (available in US):

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Compatible/dp/B00RHD862W/

The newer Olympus cameras use the same 3-part 2.5mm pin as Canon.

john isaacs's gear list:john isaacs's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D750 Olympus E-M5 II Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II +16 more

john isaacs wrote:

Most wireless flash triggers will also work as a remote shutter release. You just need to add a remote shutter cable.

Get one of these (available in US):

https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-Wireless-Transmitter-Receiver-Compatible/dp/B00RHD862W/

The newer Olympus cameras use the same 3-part 2.5mm pin as Canon.

Good looking out with that remote. I don't have any wireless triggers and this one is a good bit cheaper. Thanks.

I received the Neewer remote and sure enough it does work for recording video once the shutter button is reassigned to the recording function for video mode. At first it didn't work, and I went into settings and noticed the shutter button had been reset to its default instead of start/stop recording. I'm guessing maybe OI.Share did this, kinda like how it forces the camera to record in 1080p instead of 4k. Or, I could've done it accidentally haha. Once I reset the shutter button function to record the remote worked perfectly for that purpose.

This remote is actually nicer than some others that are more expensive from JJC and Pixel. Both the remote and the receiver use plain old regular AAA batteries and it even included 4 AAAs in the package and a little wrist strap for the remote. This thing is a good pickup for anyone who needs a remote release, video or otherwise.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads