Best voightlander 50 mm on GFX

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
mikeodial Senior Member • Posts: 2,238
Best voightlander 50 mm on GFX

Am looking for feedback on best 50 mm version (any mount) for my 50s.

Applications are portraits, street, dreamy flowers and still life. Rendering of black and white for fine art also important.

There are a lot of options out there and I am confused about the pros and cons.

mikeodial's gear list:mikeodial's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sigma SD1 Nikon D810 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 +17 more
fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,246
Re: Best voightlander 50 mm on GFX

I love the 50 1.2: https://fcracer.com/fujinon-gf50-vs-voigtlander-50mm-f1-2/

It’s best used at distances less than infinity where the vignette is less noticeable. It’s awesome at F1.2 on closer images on the GFX.

-- hide signature --
 fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-T4 +13 more
OP mikeodial Senior Member • Posts: 2,238

fcracer wrote:

It’s best used at distances less than infinity where the vignette is less noticeable. It’s awesome at F1.2 on closer images on the GFX.

So interesting you have this comparison. I just ordered the 50 f3.5 at the discount price. However, I am interested in the Voight for its artistic character. Do you have some samples of your close up images on the f1.2?

Thanks,

mikeodial's gear list:mikeodial's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sigma SD1 Nikon D810 Sony a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 +17 more
fcracer Senior Member • Posts: 1,246

mikeodial wrote:

fcracer wrote:

So interesting you have this comparison. I just ordered the 50 f3.5 at the discount price. However, I am interested in the Voight for its artistic character. Do you have some samples of your close up images on the f1.2?

Thanks,

Most of these are downsized so I hope it's ok to share a number of them. They are bandwidth friendly. All taken with the VM 50 F1.2 on the GFX using a Kipon adapter.

F1.2 gives a cinematic look (Nuwara Eliya)

F1.2 Sleeping Dog in the bustling streets (Nuwara Eliya)

Had to crop some of the edges off because the vignette was quite strong. (Mumbai)

F8 Soho Club (Mumbai)

F8 Juhu Beach (Mumbai)

F8 Juhu Beach (Mumbai)

F1.2 and 3,200 ISO (Bali)

In very, very dark conditions. Even with F1.2, the camera needed 12,800 ISO. (Bali)

F5.6. The vignette shows on this image taken at longer distance. (Colombo)

F1.2 (Elle to Nuwara Eliya Train)

F4. From a moving train in Sri Lanka. The rendering has this lovely old-school look.

F1.2 (Elle to Nuwara Eliya train)

-- hide signature --
 fcracer's gear list:fcracer's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro2 Leica M10 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-T4 +13 more
Ed Barnacle Forum Member • Posts: 66

Perhaps the 58mm1.4 would be a good choice? All of them will have soft corners and some gentle vignetting but the 58 comes close to full coverage. Very popular with wedding photographers.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads