Sony AR7iii AR7iv and Minolta 600mm f4 autofocus?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions
RussAdams Contributing Member • Posts: 845
Sony AR7iii AR7iv and Minolta 600mm f4 autofocus?

Is anyone using either (or both) the AR7iii and AR7iv with an old Minolta 600mm f4?
I have the lens and am trying to decide between buying the AR7iii or AR7iv. I'm shooting an A77ii and an A7ii currently. Looking for better autofocus speed. Both cams will give me higher resolution.

Is the extra $500 for the iv worth it?

BIF here I come...

I think it helps to get others input. I do understand it's all 'relative'.

Thanks! Russ

RussAdams's gear list:RussAdams's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II
Sympa Senior Member • Posts: 2,491
Re: Sony AR7iii AR7iv and Minolta 600mm f4 autofocus?

You will need a lens adapter. Does the 600mm have an auto focus motor or is it screw drive?

If it is screw drive, you will use an LA-EA4 adapter with its own (outdated) AF system. Not worth it if AF is important, I think.

If it is SSM, the LA-EA3 may support it. Then you rely on the AF of the camera. How good that is? I suppose you must find out by testing.

Sympa's gear list:Sympa's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sony Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS +4 more
OP RussAdams Contributing Member • Posts: 845

Thanks Sympa.

The Minolta is screw drive. I have both adapters, and the lens autofocuses 'ok' with the A7ii.
I want to bump up to higher resolution, with the option to go full frame or APSC. Both the A7Riii and A7Riv do both. And both get rave reviews.

I doubt I can go wrong with either... but like a lot of things in life, the shiniest and newest toy is always a temptation. LOL

I'm hoping to learn from someone else's experience if possible, instead of doing my own expensive experiments.

Russ

Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Sony a77 II Sony a7 II
DirkPeh
DirkPeh Forum Member • Posts: 89

You should get more replies, if you post this in the Full Frame Sony forum, not in the APSC-forum

DirkPeh's gear list:DirkPeh's gear list
Panasonic LX10 Ricoh GR III Sony a6400 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS +4 more
OP RussAdams Contributing Member • Posts: 845

Thanks Dirk! I wasn't paying close enough attention. I'll post it there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads