Panasonic vs Olympus : 15mm vs 17mm, 42.5mm vs 45mm

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 270
Panasonic vs Olympus : 15mm vs 17mm, 42.5mm vs 45mm

Jumped back into M43 recently and realized how compact the whole system can be, so I want to round out a kit of primes.

I already have the 25mm 1.7 Panny.

I need a prime that's wider, and one that's portrait length, so it's one of the above lenses. I have an OMD EM10ii.

Eric Nepean
Eric Nepean Veteran Member • Posts: 5,436
Re: Panasonic vs Olympus : 15mm vs 17mm, 42.5mm vs 45mm

Och Elo wrote:

Jumped back into M43 recently and realized how compact the whole system can be, so I want to round out a kit of primes.

I need a prime that's wider, and one that's portrait length, so it's one of the above lenses. I have an OMD EM10ii.

The 45/1.8 has a field that curves towards the camera at the edges, increasing the background blur. This is a plus if your composition has background at edges, e.g. a portrait, but  may be undesireable in other compositions.

The 42.5/1.7 has a flatter field.

The 42.5 has OIS and the 45/1.8 does not. This may or may not matter dependng on the camera you are using.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Eric

Eric Nepean's gear list:Eric Nepean's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +57 more
OP Och Elo Regular Member • Posts: 270

Eric Nepean wrote:

Och Elo wrote:

The 45/1.8 has a field that curves towards the camera at the edges, increasing the background blur. This is a plus if your composition has background at edges, e.g. a portrait, but may be undesireable in other compositions.

The 42.5 has OIS and the 45/1.8 does not. This may or may not matter dependng on the camera you are using.

Oh, didn't know that about the Oly lens. That's actually a plus for me as probably 95% of usage of such a lens would be portraits.

Skeeterbytes Forum Pro • Posts: 18,245

Och Elo wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

The 45/1.8 has a field that curves towards the camera at the edges, increasing the background blur. This is a plus if your composition has background at edges, e.g. a portrait, but may be undesireable in other compositions.

Oh, didn't know that about the Oly lens. That's actually a plus for me as probably 95% of usage of such a lens would be portraits.

The 45/1.8 gives nice background separation for portraits, and good color and contrast. Also focuses quickly and silently. My main quibble is it does not focus particularly close.

Since you have a 25, the 15 would make a more distinct change from that than a 17. It also happens to be very sharp, although more expensive than the 17/1.8.

Good luck,

Rick

-- hide signature --

Equivalence and diffraction-free since 2009.
You can be too; ask about our 12-step program.

Loga Senior Member • Posts: 1,880

Och Elo wrote:

Eric Nepean wrote:

Och Elo wrote:

If you aim to shot portraits, then I suggest the Oly 45 f1.8 all above. It has a very nice image quality, and smoother bokeh than the Panny 42.5 f1.7. The Panny is more like a general tool with OIS and shorter minimal focus distance, however, it has harsher, and swirly bokeh. So as a specialized portrait tool, the Oly is better, no question.

Loga's gear list:Loga's gear list
Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more

Och Elo wrote:

I think the 15mm makes more sense if you already have the 25mm. However, I would also consider the 14mm f2.5. I like that lens a lot, it has a very nice rendering, and I like the FOV, too. It has a very flat profile, so your camera became really small with it, and it is also much cheaper than the 15mm.

Ricoh GR II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +5 more
brentbrent Veteran Member • Posts: 4,689
Re: Panasonic vs Olympus : 42.5mm vs 45mm

I had the Oly 45 f/1.8 for quite a while but sold it after I acquired the 42.5 f/1.7 as part of a package deal. I took some shots with both lenses and thought the IQ was nearly identical, including the quality of the bokeh.

To me with Panasonic bodies, it came down to the 42.5 offering DFD autofocus and working with Dual IS on my cameras, neither of which work with an Oly body. The 42.5 also focuses closer and it comes with a hood and pouch, unlike the 45, so those items benefit any user.

Unless the closer focus distance matters to you or you think you might someday get a Panasonic body, I'd say buy the one that costs less.

For someone with a Panasonic body, I would recommend the 42.5 over the 45.

-- hide signature --

Brent

brentbrent's gear list:brentbrent's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +16 more
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Senior Member • Posts: 2,295

Och Elo wrote:

I use the 15 and the 45 on my EM10ii. All silver! Classic looking, very compact kit, and very good results. I don't use the 45 that often, but it is tiny, inexpensive, fast, and sharp (in the center, where it matters!). Agree with Rick on the minimal focusing distance, that's a bummer, but can be fixed with a macro tube if needed.

15 vs 17 is a bit of a toss-up. Each has a number of strong points, and I'd use (and have used) either one just as happily.

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus 8mm F1.8 Fisheye Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +3 more
SonyX
SonyX Regular Member • Posts: 427

Eric Nepean wrote:

17/1.8 has similar problem, not that sharp on the sides with visible field curvature.
one more option for 42.5/1.8 - YI lens: cheap, sharp, good for close ups.

-- hide signature --
 SonyX's gear list:SonyX's gear list
Nikon D4 Panasonic G85 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D +6 more
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,888

Och Elo wrote:

IMO the 15 and the 42.5 are the better lenses of the ones you listed - and I'm mostly an Olympus person.  Sharper, better rendering, etc.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-6 Olympus E-620 +36 more
Nivivin Regular Member • Posts: 169

If you really want a portrait lens, I would recommend the Sigma 56 f1.4. Since acquiring it, I rarely use my 42.5f1.7, 60 f2.8 or 75 f1.8. Delivers similar quality to 75 f1.8 at a fraction of the price and a more usable length (close to classic full frame 105mm).  In terms of broken, because of

Nivivin's gear list:Nivivin's gear list
Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +8 more
kcdogger Senior Member • Posts: 2,888

Nivivin wrote:

If you really want a portrait lens, I would recommend the Sigma 56 f1.4. Since acquiring it, I rarely use my 42.5f1.7, 60 f2.8 or 75 f1.8. Delivers similar quality to 75 f1.8 at a fraction of the price and a more usable length (close to classic full frame 105mm). In terms of broken, because of

That Sigma 56mm f1.4 is really good/  About as sharp as my Oly 75mm - and that's SHARP!  I don't have any pictures to show right now, but I think you'd be hard pressed to tell which lens took what picture in a comparison.

Peace.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic ZS100 Olympus TG-6 Olympus E-620 +36 more
glassoholic
glassoholic Veteran Member • Posts: 5,542

All four lenses are good, but the two Pana options are sharper to the edges wide open, if that matters to you. The 17 is also a little soft overall but unless you look for it, not really a problem.

-- hide signature --

Addicted To Glass
M43 equivalence: "Twice the fun with half the weight"
"You are a long time dead" -
Credit to whoever said that first and my wife for saying it to me... Make the best you can of every day!

andy_sf Junior Member • Posts: 27

glassoholic wrote:

All four lenses are good, but the two Pana options are sharper to the edges wide open, if that matters to you. The 17 is also a little soft overall but unless you look for it, not really a problem.

Agree in general but the difference is really small (I suspect very close to sample to sample variation).

I found a surprising difference between Oly 17/1.8 and PL 15/1.7 which nobody seems to mention - I like Oly's color rendition much better. It's a subtle but noticeable difference - Oly has normal tonality with a bit more vibrant colors while PL has more cold palette. Maybe it's Olympus in camera processing tuned specifically for this lens but I was not able to replicate Oly's colors in post processing of PL's photos.

Sharpness vise there was no difference between the lenses in the center - my copies were both sharp. PL was slightly sharper in the corners but I had to pixel peep to confirm that. I needed the lens for citiscapes  mostly, so I sold Oly but I'm still missing it's colors - might buy it again, especially that it could be had below $200 used now.

andy_sf wrote:

glassoholic wrote:

Agree in general but the difference is really small (I suspect very close to sample to sample variation).

I found a surprising difference between Oly 17/1.8 and PL 15/1.7 which nobody seems to mention - I like Oly's color rendition much better. It's a subtle but noticeable difference - Oly has normal tonality with a bit more vibrant colors while PL has more cold palette. Maybe it's Olympus in camera processing tuned specifically for this lens

I don't think so. I did not have these lenses, but in review comparisons between the 15mm and the 14mm f2.5 it seemed to me that the 15mm's pictures always have a colder look. That strengthen the suspect that it has a colder color palette. Whether you like this or that is more like a matter of taste.

This also means that you could try the 14mm f2.5, since it has good colors and IMHO a wide enough focal length for cityscapes.

but I was not able to replicate Oly's colors in post processing of PL's photos.

Sharpness vise there was no difference between the lenses in the center - my copies were both sharp. PL was slightly sharper in the corners but I had to pixel peep to confirm that. I needed the lens for citiscapes mostly, so I sold Oly but I'm still missing it's colors - might buy it again, especially that it could be had below $200 used now.

SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,837

I've had copies of the 17 f/1.8 and PL15. The Olympus was capable of making very nice images but as a prime it was not a standout in terms of resolution. My copy of the pL15 is distinctly better than the copy of the Olympus 17 I owned. Especially wide open. Both excellent mechanically. Aperture ring on the PL is a plus if you're using Panasonic bodies. It doesn't work on Olympus bodies. I have the Olympus 45 f/1.8 which I've been very happy with in terms if IQ. Very small, light, and inexpensive. Feels a bit cheap but I think it's very good optically. The Panasonic 42.5 has a very good reputation. If using a Panasonic body the ability to use dual stabilization would be a plus.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads