Viltrox 23, 33, and 85 can damage the X-Pro3

Started 9 months ago | Discussions
DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595
Viltrox 23, 33, and 85 can damage the X-Pro3

Official statement from Viltrox says that the lens release button can get scratched by those lenses. Story on Fuji Rumors.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

DarnGoodPhotos's gear list:DarnGoodPhotos's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
Power X Junior Member • Posts: 42
Re: Viltrox 23, 33, and 85 can damage the X-Pro3

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Official statement from Viltrox says that the lens release button can get scratched by those lenses.

I wonder where this comes from...

OP DarnGoodPhotos Forum Pro • Posts: 10,595

Power X wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Official statement from Viltrox says that the lens release button can get scratched by those lenses.

I wonder where this comes from...

As I said, it’s an official statement from Viltrox.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F2 R WR +2 more
chapada Regular Member • Posts: 253

Buy cheap buy twice.

chapada's gear list:chapada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8

I don't find it on the Viltrox website in the news section (or anywhere else) http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=content&cid=70

Power X wrote:

I don't find it on the Viltrox website in the news section (or anywhere else) http://www.viltrox.com/en/index.php?m=index&a=content&cid=70

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

cool, thanks

Truman Prevatt
Truman Prevatt Forum Pro • Posts: 11,645

chapada wrote:

Buy cheap buy twice.

The inherent risk of third party lenses.  As my old Granddaddy used to say - buy cheap you more often than not get exactly what you pay for.

-- hide signature --

_____
"The winds of heaven are those that blow between the ears of a horse," Arabic proverb
__
Truman
www.pbase.com/tprevatt

Truman Prevatt's gear list:Truman Prevatt's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R XF 90mm +12 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,151

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Power X wrote:

What parts will scratch a little bit against each other? No mention in the note about lens release button.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,513
Cheaper?
  • chapada wrote:

Buy cheap buy twice.

I wonder if this will cause them to lower the price? That would be a nice side effect.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more

biza43 wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Power X wrote:

What parts will scratch a little bit against each other? No mention in the note about lens release button.

Just reread my first post and then read Fuji Rumors article.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

nonicks Contributing Member • Posts: 579

chapada wrote:

Buy cheap buy twice.

Well, this is so unfortunate. But It doesn't have to be the case with other brands. Tamron, Tokina, Samyang and even some sigma are relatively cheap comparing to the native brands but they don't suffer similar problems when I used them on my Canon cameras.

Viltrox is a new company.  It will learn the lesson and improve.

nonicks's gear list:nonicks's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +1 more
Porquinho Contributing Member • Posts: 725

"The stingy and the poor pay twice". (Medieval proverb)

Porquinho's gear list:Porquinho's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X-S1 Fujifilm X20 Leica D-LUX 5 Canon G3 X +9 more
chapada Regular Member • Posts: 253

nonicks wrote:

chapada wrote:

Buy cheap buy twice.

Well, this is so unfortunate. But It doesn't have to be the case with other brands. Tamron, Tokina, Samyang and even some sigma are relatively cheap comparing to the native brands but they don't suffer similar problems when I used them on my Canon cameras.

Viltrox is a new company. It will learn the lesson and improve.

I would never buy products from a company that doesn't list their CEO. Who knows who they are affiliated with.

For Laowa you can find interviews with lens designers: https://www.cinema5d.com/the-brain-behind-laowa-lenses-interviewed-dayong-li/ for me that inspires confidence in their products.

chapada's gear list:chapada's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 50-140mm F2.8
HatWearingFool
HatWearingFool Senior Member • Posts: 2,513

nonicks wrote:

chapada wrote:

Buy cheap buy twice.

Panasonic released a a lens (100-400) with a mount so tight it scraped metal of some cameras mount. It happens to first party manufacturers too.

-- hide signature --
 HatWearingFool's gear list:HatWearingFool's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more

HatWearingFool wrote:

nonicks wrote:

chapada wrote:

Buy cheap buy twice.

Panasonic released a a lens (100-400) with a mount so tight it scraped metal of some cameras mount. It happens to first party manufacturers too.

The 85 was first released half a year before the X-Pro3 so they wouldn't have been able to test it on that body. I wonder what is different about their 56 to where they said it won't have the same clearance issue.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

lesscubes Junior Member • Posts: 27

Hopefully Viltrox's long term response is that they'll mill a relief in the barrels on the next production run where they interfere with the X-Pro3 versus just going with the "hey don't use it with this camera."

And, lets see if Tokina corrects this with their own branded lenses that come from the same OEM as the Viltrox.

lesscubes's gear list:lesscubes's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm 50-230mm II Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +2 more
Pete Richardson Junior Member • Posts: 35

Could not work this out as I have been happily using the 85mm with the X-Pro3.

On very close and I mean very close inspection, there is the slightest mark on the edge of the collar surrounding the release button.

I had to remove the lens from the camera for it to be seen.

It has no effect on lens use and is merely cosmetic.

I can also confirm that this is not a problem with the X-Pro2 or X-Pro1.

Pete

Pete Richardson wrote:

Could not work this out as I have been happily using the 85mm with the X-Pro3.

On very close and I mean very close inspection, there is the slightest mark on the edge of the collar surrounding the release button.

I had to remove the lens from the camera for it to be seen.

It has no effect on lens use and is merely cosmetic.

I can also confirm that this is not a problem with the X-Pro2 or X-Pro1.

Pete

That's good to know. I did a closeup of the two bodies and it looks like the 3's lens release sticks out further than the 2's.

-- hide signature --

www.darngoodphotos.com

biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,151

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

biza43 wrote:

DarnGoodPhotos wrote:

Power X wrote:

Just reread my first post and then read Fuji Rumors article.

I did. This is what says on fuji rumors:

"The reason, so I have been told, is that the location of the lens release button on the Fujifilm X-Pro3 is too close to the bayonet."

So you are repeating what someone else was told... Viltrox does not mention the release button on their notice.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm X-S10 Fujifilm XF 16mm F1.4 R WR XF 90mm Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads