Want a new wildlife lens?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
anupamkatkar
anupamkatkar Regular Member • Posts: 181
Want a new wildlife lens?

This one's going pretty cheap:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-Sigma-200-500mm-DG-F2-8-Lens-Nikon-1001112/114037253747?hash=item1a8d266673:g:HWcAAOSwOGZeB5QO

I'd buy it myself, but I already have a few copies in my collection. It's alright.

anupamkatkar's gear list:anupamkatkar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
JasonTheBirder
JasonTheBirder Contributing Member • Posts: 570
Re: Want a new wildlife lens?

I bought it last year, but returned it because it didn't take the 2x teleconverter very well.

EricK214 Regular Member • Posts: 398

Well that's a good savings since a new one is $26,000 LoL

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
Joel_wildlife New Member • Posts: 7

haha, made me laugh

EricK214 Regular Member • Posts: 398

JasonTheBirder wrote:

I bought it last year, but returned it because it didn't take the 2x teleconverter very well.

EricK214's gear list:EricK214's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G +2 more
larrywilson
larrywilson Veteran Member • Posts: 7,009

I guess a person would have to use it on a tripod, hard to shoot this lens off hand.

Larry

larrywilson's gear list:larrywilson's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm F4E FL ED VR Tamron SP 85mm F1.8 Di VC USD Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2 +6 more
Hilifer
Hilifer Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

Wrong color.

-- hide signature --

Moretti
"Things are more like they are now than they've ever been before."

Hilifer's gear list:Hilifer's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +13 more
fpapp
fpapp Contributing Member • Posts: 629

I had to return it. I hurt myself taking pictures handheld!

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +48 more
Parry Johnson
Parry Johnson Senior Member • Posts: 1,731

Why, oh why?? Now I get it if one wants to stay in a hide all day, or if you otherwise park yourself in one spot AND you're shooting with an older camera with poor high-ISO capabilities AND the light is poor, but otherwise you're far better off with a crop-sensor camera like a Nikon 1 and 70-200 f2.8 lens.

For wildlife photos, you've really got two ways of shooting: get to the subject, or pray it will come to you. One way requires a big lens like this one, and the other requires portability. Since my pockets aren't deep and I can think of better ways to get a workout, I'll stick to the bigger-is-not-better routine.

Parry Johnson's gear list:Parry Johnson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D7100 Nikon 1 V3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +21 more
p5freak Senior Member • Posts: 2,854

Parry Johnson wrote:

Why, oh why?? Now I get it if one wants to stay in a hide all day, or if you otherwise park yourself in one spot AND you're shooting with an older camera with poor high-ISO capabilities AND the light is poor, but otherwise you're far better off with a crop-sensor camera like a Nikon 1 and 70-200 f2.8 lens.

This lens was created for bragging rights, its the worlds first 500mm f2.8 lens. It has no real practical application.

-- hide signature --

Stupid is as stupid does - Forrest Gump

anupamkatkar
OP anupamkatkar Regular Member • Posts: 181

Parry Johnson wrote:

For wildlife photos, you've really got two ways of shooting: get to the subject, or pray it will come to you. One way requires a big lens like this one, and the other requires portability. Since my pockets aren't deep and I can think of better ways to get a workout, I'll stick to the bigger-is-not-better routine.

You're saying that now ... but the next time you're wandering the streets of Damascus and suddenly, a T-90 main battle tank rumbles in and aims directly at you, you're going to wish you had the Sigma to fight back. Try fighting a tank with a 70-200 f2.8.

anupamkatkar's gear list:anupamkatkar's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN E-PL6 Nikon D500 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
ExpatSooner New Member • Posts: 23

Everybody has seen the photos online of that beast shooting both anti tank rockets AND lasers. It’s the multi tool for personal and national defense.

ExpatSooner's gear list:ExpatSooner's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
graemechapman
graemechapman Regular Member • Posts: 232

Back to reality, I have been photographing birds around Australia for more than 60 years and my website has more than 5500 images as a result.

So I ask the question which is the aperture I have most used in all this time?

F/5.6.

To me that is the ideal aperture to achieve optimum depth of field, shutter speed and lowest ISO. I only resort to f/8 or 11 if I want to keep two or more subjects in focus.

Perhaps just as important is you don't have to spend a fortune.

That is why Nikon's 500 PF f/5.6 is one of the best long  lenses they have ever made and so popular that they have difficulty in keeping up the supply.

To each his own. This is Australia where light levels are good most of the time.

A well exposed blur is no good to anybody, so I appreciate the need of f/2.8 to keep shutter speeds high enough in places with low light levels.

chulster
chulster Contributing Member • Posts: 902

fpapp wrote:

You were holding it wrong. Keep both hands on the camera.

fpapp
fpapp Contributing Member • Posts: 629

chulster wrote:

fpapp wrote:

You were holding it wrong. Keep both hands on the camera.

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +48 more
CptAmerica
CptAmerica Senior Member • Posts: 1,046

One of the funniest things ever, is to go to amazon and read the reviews.  Hilaruous.

CptAmerica's gear list:CptAmerica's gear list
Nikon D850 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +6 more
patricksmith32
patricksmith32 Regular Member • Posts: 376

You beat me to it, I was just about to say, go over to Amazon and read the reviews of the lens over there haha. Seriously though I got to try this crazy lens out and the AF was terrible, I mean really bad when compared to Nikon or Canon super-tele lenses. Guess all of that glass is slow to move around. Image quality was also so-so, not as good as my Nikon 400mm f2.8E VR FL, not even close. For that price there are so many better options out there! You could get a 500PF and an 800mm f5.6E FL!

ExpatSooner New Member • Posts: 23

Personally I don’t trust the AF of a lens that requires its own battery. Besides, it’s like 16kg. That’s not a lot of glass, it’s a TON of glass to move to attain focus. I’ll stick with my 400 thanks.

ExpatSooner's gear list:ExpatSooner's gear list
Nikon D3S Nikon D5 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads