Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

Started May 10, 2020 | Discussions
Michael S.
Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism
1

Good Morning!
Unspectacular 3parts mosaic of the Sun on May 9th 2020, but my first light for the recently bought Baader Herschel Prism (build in Solar Continuum and ND3.0 filter)
mounted on my little 4inch APO triplet:
Sun on May 9th, continuum (white light)

Better testing the gear now and to know how to use when we'll get (hopefully) lots
of sunspots and structures in the upcoming years.

best regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

 Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
Greg VdB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,604
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

How boring! ;-P

Definitely worth getting in some practice early. After all, even at solar minimum our star can get quite spectacular, like only a few days ago: https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=08&month=05&year=2020

cheers,

-- hide signature --

Greg Van den Bleeken
www.pbase.com/gbleek
vimeo.com/vdbphotography
Take photographs *you* want to look at. Take photographs you want to *look* at. (Ed Leys)

Michael S.
OP Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

Greg VdB wrote:

How boring! ;-P

Definitely worth getting in some practice early. After all, even at solar minimum our star can get quite spectacular, like only a few days ago: https://spaceweather.com/archive.php?view=1&day=08&month=05&year=2020

cheers,

Hi Greg!
Hehe...yeah, "boring" is correct, hopefully we are soon leaving the minimum and activity on the surfaces rises, I'm ready!

best regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

 Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
lost alaskan
lost alaskan Senior Member • Posts: 1,800
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

I don't do anything like this but it's like nothing I've ever seen before.  Very impressive.

 lost alaskan's gear list:lost alaskan's gear list
Sony a6300 Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +2 more
Michael S.
OP Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

lost alaskan wrote:

I don't do anything like this but it's like nothing I've ever seen before. Very impressive.

Hi!
Thank you...and I can promise you that it will get far far more impressive in the upcoming months (?), but for sure in the next 3 years.

best regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

 Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
Tristimulus Veteran Member • Posts: 7,545
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism
1

Just wait a bit and sunspots will wander over the sun all the time - then those wanting an image of a spotless sun will despair...

Everything has a bright side, even the sun. 

Michael S.
OP Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

Trollmannx wrote:

Just wait a bit and sunspots will wander over the sun all the time - then those wanting an image of a spotless sun will despair...

Everything has a bright side, even the sun.

Hehe, hopefully will see soon more activity of the new cyclus.

👍😁

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

 Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
Guido FORRIER Senior Member • Posts: 1,837
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

thee sun is not very active . the minimum persists . are we in a new cycle or not ?

https://www.spaceweather.com

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/solar-cycle-25-forecast-update

http://users.telenet.be/j.janssens/SC24web/SC24.html#WolfX

Guido

-- hide signature --

retired pro

hha1 Junior Member • Posts: 29
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

Michael S. wrote:

Trollmannx wrote:

Just wait a bit and sunspots will wander over the sun all the time - then those wanting an image of a spotless sun will despair...

Everything has a bright side, even the sun.

Hehe, hopefully will see soon more activity of the new cyclus.

👍😁

Or not. We may be heading into a Mauder minimum. The last one was between 1650 and 1700, associate with a little ice age....

Michael S.
OP Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

hha1 wrote:

Michael S. wrote:

Trollmannx wrote:

Just wait a bit and sunspots will wander over the sun all the time - then those wanting an image of a spotless sun will despair...

Everything has a bright side, even the sun.

Hehe, hopefully will see soon more activity of the new cyclus.

👍😁

Or not. We may be heading into a Mauder minimum. The last one was between 1650 and 1700, associate with a little ice age....

Good Morning!
I'm aware of that minium, has been called "mini-ice age" and even the river Thames in London was frozen.
Hopefully we don't get that again.
kind regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

 Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
Michael S.
OP Michael S. Veteran Member • Posts: 8,517
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

Guido FORRIER wrote:

thee sun is not very active . the minimum persists . are we in a new cycle or not ?

https://www.spaceweather.com

https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/solar-cycle-25-forecast-update

http://users.telenet.be/j.janssens/SC24web/SC24.html#WolfX

Guido

Good Morning Guido!
As far as I've read, cycle 25 has started, at least the very first sunspots with changed polarity have been spotted in the past weeks.
best regards,

-- hide signature --

Michael S.
EUROPE; dpreview since 2001
(check equipment via profile)

 Michael S.'s gear list:Michael S.'s gear list
Leica SL2 Nikon D610 Nikon D5300 Nikon D810A Leica M10-P +7 more
Greg VdB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,604
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism

hha1 wrote:

Michael S. wrote:

Trollmannx wrote:

Just wait a bit and sunspots will wander over the sun all the time - then those wanting an image of a spotless sun will despair...

Everything has a bright side, even the sun.

Hehe, hopefully will see soon more activity of the new cyclus.

👍😁

Or not. We may be heading into a Mauder minimum. The last one was between 1650 and 1700, associate with a little ice age....

There are several hypotheses about the causes for the Little Ice Age, the Maunder Minimum just one of them. As a geologist, I am more partial to it being caused by heightened volcanic activity

cheers,

-- hide signature --

Greg Van den Bleeken
www.pbase.com/gbleek
vimeo.com/vdbphotography
Take photographs *you* want to look at. Take photographs you want to *look* at. (Ed Leys)

Guido FORRIER Senior Member • Posts: 1,837
Re: Flawless Sun - first light Baader Cool Ceramic Herschel Prism
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads