70D - Canon EOS Webcam Utility

Started May 9, 2020 | Discussions
ikolbyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,016
70D - Canon EOS Webcam Utility

For those of you that own a 70D, the Canon EOS Webcam Utility will work with the 70D even though it is not listed as supported: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

I did have glitches but is that the camera or the beta software?   I tested it using Skype.

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Fujifilm GFX 100S Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Canon EOS 70D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 2,078
Re: 70D - Canon EOS Webcam Utility

Did you use any additional cables or just plug the camera in directly?

-- hide signature --

Steve
stevenblackwood1950@gmail.com
Milwaukee WI

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more
OP ikolbyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,016

Steven Blackwood wrote:

I only used a USB 2.0 A to Mini-b Cable. Nothing else. The camera was powered by its internal battery.

The 77D which is on the "support list" uses the same USB cable/interface/speed as the 70D.

Here is the full instructional video from Canon: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msJAkr3FsUM

Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Fujifilm GFX 100S Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +6 more
Steven Blackwood Senior Member • Posts: 2,078

I'll pass this along to a guy I know who still has a 70D. One more question: when using Skype did you use a Ethernet network connection? I am testing things out for a Zoom VC and I found I am really loving the wired connection. Lightning fast compared to WiFi.

ikolbyi wrote:

Steven Blackwood wrote:

I only used a USB 2.0 A to Mini-b Cable. Nothing else. The camera was powered by its internal battery.

The 77D which is on the "support list" uses the same USB cable/interface/speed as the 70D.

-- hide signature --

Steve
stevenblackwood1950@gmail.com
Milwaukee WI

Steven Blackwood's gear list:Steven Blackwood's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS R6 Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 Canon EF 70-200 F4 II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +1 more

Steven Blackwood wrote:

I'll pass this along to a guy I know who still has a 70D. One more question: when using Skype did you use a Ethernet network connection? I am testing things out for a Zoom VC and I found I am really loving the wired connection. Lightning fast compared to WiFi.

ikolbyi wrote:

Steven Blackwood wrote:

wifi connection. The experience was glitchy but that could be the beta software, wifi ... any combination. Every now and then I would receive some lag or 'freezed frame'. It was usable all said in the end. I was happy to see it work because it sprung some new life into my old trusty 70D keeping me with Canon a little longer.

aglake
aglake Regular Member • Posts: 445

If it makes a difference, I have and 80D not a 70d and I use a headset and microphone so I have have no comment on the audio.

With my setup  I find that the webcam utility works fine so far both on Zoom and Microsoft Teams.  Both start and stop video controls work the same as for any other webcam.  I also expect to try it on Google Meet in the future.

I've found that the EFS-S 24mm pancake lens works really well the lens on my 80D webcam.

aglake's gear list:aglake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more
Aoi Usagi Senior Member • Posts: 2,852

Some 70D models are known to overheat and damage the motherboard when used for video recording and liveview.  This is probably why it is not on the list for webcam utility.  They do not want to be liable for more motherboard failures.  Although the Utility might work with the 70D, I would not advertise it as working as some owners might damage their cameras.

Distinctly Average Senior Member • Posts: 1,209

evogt500 wrote:

Some 70D models are known to overheat and damage the motherboard when used for video recording and liveview. This is probably why it is not on the list for webcam utility. They do not want to be liable for more motherboard failures. Although the Utility might work with the 70D, I would not advertise it as working as some owners might damage their cameras.

That was a limited few and a recall was done. It was not a common problem to all 70Ds

-- hide signature --

ikolbyi wrote:

For those of you that own a 70D, the Canon EOS Webcam Utility will work with the 70D even though it is not listed as supported: https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/self-help-center/eos-webcam-utility/

I did have glitches but is that the camera or the beta software? I tested it using Skype.

I tried with the 80D, the 90D and the 7D2, all worked fine on Zoom and Teams but I too found Skype a little glitchy. Hopefully that will be sorted with future updates.

-- hide signature --

Distinctly Average wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

Some 70D models are known to overheat and damage the motherboard when used for video recording and liveview. This is probably why it is not on the list for webcam utility. They do not want to be liable for more motherboard failures. Although the Utility might work with the 70D, I would not advertise it as working as some owners might damage their cameras.

That was a limited few and a recall was done. It was not a common problem to all 70Ds

This is a guess on my part but the 70D Is considered an old camera and Canon could not be bothered supporting old technology. The USB speed is the same as 77D so I thought I would give it a try and it did work.  My 5D.M4 did have fewer 'glitches' when I attempted the same test but that is a significantly more modern system.

Turing my old trusted 70D into a webcam brings new life into a shelved body that I was using as a teaching implement for my children.

ikolbyi wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

This is a guess on my part but the 70D Is considered an old camera and Canon could not be bothered supporting old technology. The USB speed is the same as 77D so I thought I would give it a try and it did work. My 5D.M4 did have fewer 'glitches' when I attempted the same test but that is a significantly more modern system.

Turing my old trusted 70D into a webcam brings new life into a shelved body that I was using as a teaching implement for my children.

Canon did say on one of the reviews I read they will be adding support to more models in time. Hopefully some of the older models will be included.

-- hide signature --

evogt500 wrote:

Yes, it was not all models and there was a recall. However, it is unclear whether they replaced the motherboard with a different one that wont overheat, or just changed out the motherboard for another faulty one that will have the same issue in the future.  I am just saying there is a certain risk in using the 70D for this purpose and if something does happen to fail, there is no one to blame but yourself.  The 70D is a older camera model, but I still use it and would be quite upset if it broke.

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

Yes, it was not all models and there was a recall. However, it is unclear whether they replaced the motherboard with a different one that wont overheat, or just changed out the motherboard for another faulty one that will have the same issue in the future. I am just saying there is a certain risk in using the 70D for this purpose and if something does happen to fail, there is no one to blame but yourself. The 70D is a older camera model, but I still use it and would be quite upset if it broke.

Do you really think Canon would sell a camera, have a known fault with a component arise then go to the expense of replacing the faulty component with one exactly the same? It would be terrible for their reputation if they did that, and very expensive too. The 70D is heavily used for video by many people, I know of one chap who ran his business for a few years based on the 70D and the video it is capable of producing, He owned over 20 of them, and they were used for video for many hours every day. The dual pixel AF made them very popular for this kind of use. If there was a huge issue we would have heard of it big time, but there was no big outcry, and many 70Ds are still going strong today.

-- hide signature --

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

Yes, it was not all models and there was a recall. However, it is unclear whether they replaced the motherboard with a different one that wont overheat, or just changed out the motherboard for another faulty one that will have the same issue in the future. I am just saying there is a certain risk in using the 70D for this purpose and if something does happen to fail, there is no one to blame but yourself. The 70D is a older camera model, but I still use it and would be quite upset if it broke.

Do you really think Canon would sell a camera, have a known fault with a component arise then go to the expense of replacing the faulty component with one exactly the same? It would be terrible for their reputation if they did that, and very expensive too. The 70D is heavily used for video by many people, I know of one chap who ran his business for a few years based on the 70D and the video it is capable of producing, He owned over 20 of them, and they were used for video for many hours every day. The dual pixel AF made them very popular for this kind of use. If there was a huge issue we would have heard of it big time, but there was no big outcry, and many 70Ds are still going strong today.

There is no way to tell, unless you have some proof of a different motherboard revision.  And while not specifically to Canon, there have been times where a company would replace a faulty component with another faulty component just to work until the warranty expired.  It's actually not uncommon in the electronics business.  Again, I am not saying Canon is doing this, but there have been no proof to confirm otherwise.

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

There is no way to tell, unless you have some proof of a different motherboard revision. And while not specifically to Canon, there have been times where a company would replace a faulty component with another faulty component just to work until the warranty expired. It's actually not uncommon in the electronics business. Again, I am not saying Canon is doing this, but there have been no proof to confirm otherwise.

We can however look at the available evidence. These forums  are a good gauge for instance, and rarely do we see a case of a 70D failing. In fact, we don’t see many Canon cameras failing at all. Over the years they have been very reliable. So much so that when a fault does appear, it gets noticed big time. It only takes a few people to moan about the same issue for it to become a much talked about issue. We are not seeing that with regards to the 70D. If I was an owner of a 70D, a camera released in 2013 and discontinued in 2016 I would be pleased that it is still goons strong up to 7 years later. Not a huge amount of modern electronics lasts that long, but we expect cameras to do so. In all that time, and flood of failing cameras due to the same fault would have been noticed, yet it has not.

-- hide signature --
aglake
aglake Regular Member • Posts: 445

I suspect that the real reason that the 70D is not supported is a rather simple one.  They wanted to get the software out the door soon and did not take the time to test it on the 70D.  Testing software (at least doing it right) requires finding a copy of the camera to test, setting up the test, running the test an analyzing the results.  Any failures found then have to be traced back to their source and the problem remedied.  This is not something that can be done overnight.

When they say that they plan to support more cameras in the future, that likely means that they will continue to test and those cameras that pass the test will become supported.

aglake's gear list:aglake's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 X Canon PowerShot ELPH 190 IS Canon EOS 80D Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-S 10-18mm F4.5–5.6 IS STM +3 more

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

There is no way to tell, unless you have some proof of a different motherboard revision. And while not specifically to Canon, there have been times where a company would replace a faulty component with another faulty component just to work until the warranty expired. It's actually not uncommon in the electronics business. Again, I am not saying Canon is doing this, but there have been no proof to confirm otherwise.

We can however look at the available evidence. These forums are a good gauge for instance, and rarely do we see a case of a 70D failing. In fact, we don’t see many Canon cameras failing at all. Over the years they have been very reliable. So much so that when a fault does appear, it gets noticed big time. It only takes a few people to moan about the same issue for it to become a much talked about issue. We are not seeing that with regards to the 70D. If I was an owner of a 70D, a camera released in 2013 and discontinued in 2016 I would be pleased that it is still goons strong up to 7 years later. Not a huge amount of modern electronics lasts that long, but we expect cameras to do so. In all that time, and flood of failing cameras due to the same fault would have been noticed, yet it has not.

Well I did some DPR searches there are quite a few threads on he subject.  One particular one I found interesting was this:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/63202784

Posted only 7 months ago.  The motherboard malfunction seems to have come back after the recall service.  Of course, this is only one incident (that I have found), but still not a good sign.  My guess is that any other owner of the 70D has read these threads and send their camera in for the recall without posting in the forum.  Since my 70D is being used less because of the current coronavirus circumstances, I may just send it in for repair (my serial number is one that is affected).  I don't use the video feature nor use liveview much, there is always that concern that it might die at any time.

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

We can however look at the available evidence. These forums are a good gauge for instance, and rarely do we see a case of a 70D failing. In fact, we don’t see many Canon cameras failing at all. Over the years they have been very reliable. So much so that when a fault does appear, it gets noticed big time. It only takes a few people to moan about the same issue for it to become a much talked about issue. We are not seeing that with regards to the 70D. If I was an owner of a 70D, a camera released in 2013 and discontinued in 2016 I would be pleased that it is still goons strong up to 7 years later. Not a huge amount of modern electronics lasts that long, but we expect cameras to do so. In all that time, and flood of failing cameras due to the same fault would have been noticed, yet it has not.

Well I did some DPR searches there are quite a few threads on he subject. One particular one I found interesting was this:

Posted only 7 months ago. The motherboard malfunction seems to have come back after the recall service. Of course, this is only one incident (that I have found), but still not a good sign. My guess is that any other owner of the 70D has read these threads and send their camera in for the recall without posting in the forum. Since my 70D is being used less because of the current coronavirus circumstances, I may just send it in for repair (my serial number is one that is affected). I don't use the video feature nor use liveview much, there is always that concern that it might die at any time.

A one off case hardly shows an endemic issue, nor does just the few we have seen. One I found the owner was really moaning, despite the fact his camera had over 400k actuations on the shutter and by his own admission in previous threads had been abused somewhat.

People tend to shout the loudest when they have problems. For every  bit of electronics out there since the invention of Internet forums the have been this sort of thing. In the case of the 70D, I don’t think we should be overly concerned.

-- hide signature --

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

evogt500 wrote:

Well I did some DPR searches there are quite a few threads on he subject. One particular one I found interesting was this:

Posted only 7 months ago. The motherboard malfunction seems to have come back after the recall service. Of course, this is only one incident (that I have found), but still not a good sign. My guess is that any other owner of the 70D has read these threads and send their camera in for the recall without posting in the forum. Since my 70D is being used less because of the current coronavirus circumstances, I may just send it in for repair (my serial number is one that is affected). I don't use the video feature nor use liveview much, there is always that concern that it might die at any time.

A one off case hardly shows an endemic issue, nor does just the few we have seen. One I found the owner was really moaning, despite the fact his camera had over 400k actuations on the shutter and by his own admission in previous threads had been abused somewhat.

People tend to shout the loudest when they have problems. For every bit of electronics out there since the invention of Internet forums the have been this sort of thing. In the case of the 70D, I don’t think we should be overly concerned.

You do have a point and I didn't feel the need to read any of the other posts from that particular member.  I still would not use the Webcam Utility with the 70D nor would a recommend anyone else to use it until it is supported by Canon themselves.  But if anyone does, it is at there own risk.  Thanks and take care.

OhioBob Regular Member • Posts: 429

Has anyone seen an announcement when a Mac version will be released?

OhioBob's gear list:OhioBob's gear list
Olympus C-750 UZ Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads