Vivitar 35mm 2.8 lens

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
tmurph New Member • Posts: 11
Vivitar 35mm 2.8 lens

Hi

Recently I got myself a Minolta XG-M camera body only from Ebay. Now that's the camera. I also checked out a Vivitar 35mm 2.8 lens, again on Ebay. Decided to get it and was impressed with its general condition. Now here's the baffling thing. On the lens are a series of aperture markings that are making me scratch my head. On the mount side of the lens are cut outs that correspond to aperture numbers starting with 2.5 2.8 3.5 5 5.6 3.8 and 4

There are also the letters M/MD inscribed just above the bayonet mount. Looking at the lens from the top there is a thin metal ring that has a small flange on it that looks as if it connected with a pin on the older Minolta bodies, SR100 and so on.

Looking from the back of the lens to the front there is a ring with the following f numbers segmented into eight groups starting as above with 2.5 to 16, 2.8 to 16, 3.5 to 22, 4.5 to 22, 5 to 22, 5.6 to 22, 3.8 to 22 and 4 to 22.

The next ring doesn't move but it has a thin button on it that moves down when you press it. This sits on a raised platform on the bottom of the lens. I say bottom because when the lens is on the camera that's where the button is. On the raised bit are the following markings. 0<->1. Next is the actual aperture ring. This starts at 2.8 to 16. You turn the ring to the right and left but...another baffling thing, you can turn it to the left to right again starting with another 2.8 marker to 16.

When the lens is mounted on my XG-M and I turn the aperture the LED doesn't move from the shutter speed indicated. I have a Sigma 35-70 mm zoom and the aperture works fine.

I have found out the the M  on the lens mount stands for Leica M. MD is obviously Minolta.

How do I set this lens up so the aperture works properly. Sorry for the long winded explanation but that's the only way I can describe this lens.

tmurph's gear list:tmurph's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +3 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 1,536
Re: Vivitar 35mm 2.8 lens

tmurph wrote:

Hi

Recently I got myself a Minolta XG-M camera body only from Ebay. Now that's the camera. I also checked out a Vivitar 35mm 2.8 lens, again on Ebay. Decided to get it and was impressed with its general condition. Now here's the baffling thing. On the lens are a series of aperture markings that are making me scratch my head. On the mount side of the lens are cut outs that correspond to aperture numbers starting with 2.5 2.8 3.5 5 5.6 3.8 and 4

There are also the letters M/MD inscribed just above the bayonet mount. Looking at the lens from the top there is a thin metal ring that has a small flange on it that looks as if it connected with a pin on the older Minolta bodies, SR100 and so on.

Looking from the back of the lens to the front there is a ring with the following f numbers segmented into eight groups starting as above with 2.5 to 16, 2.8 to 16, 3.5 to 22, 4.5 to 22, 5 to 22, 5.6 to 22, 3.8 to 22 and 4 to 22.

The next ring doesn't move but it has a thin button on it that moves down when you press it. This sits on a raised platform on the bottom of the lens. I say bottom because when the lens is on the camera that's where the button is. On the raised bit are the following markings. 0<->1. Next is the actual aperture ring. This starts at 2.8 to 16. You turn the ring to the right and left but...another baffling thing, you can turn it to the left to right again starting with another 2.8 marker to 16.

When the lens is mounted on my XG-M and I turn the aperture the LED doesn't move from the shutter speed indicated. I have a Sigma 35-70 mm zoom and the aperture works fine.

I have found out the the M on the lens mount stands for Leica M. MD is obviously Minolta.

How do I set this lens up so the aperture works properly. Sorry for the long winded explanation but that's the only way I can describe this lens.

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words...

From your text description it sounds to me as if you have a Vivitar TX lens with an interchangeable TX mount for Minolta MD. It's quite common for these lenses and mounts to be fitted together incorrectly, which would cause the problem you describe.

If you can post some pictures of the lens, especially the rear mount and the aperture ring(s), it will be easier to help further.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Sony a7
OP tmurph New Member • Posts: 11

Hi Dave here are some pics of the lens you asked for

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +3 more
Heritage Cameras

tmurph wrote:

OK, thanks – that is indeed a Vivitar TX lens with a removable TX mount for Minolta MD.

The mount has probably been fitted incorrectly, so the couplings don't line up properly. There's a helpful web site with free copies of the instructions for TX lenses and mounts here:

http://www.boggys.co.uk/page43.html

Basically what you need to do is remove the mount, align things properly inside, then re-attach it. Take a look at the instructions and see if they explain the procedure sufficiently. If not, let me know and I can write a step-by-step guide for you.

Hope this helps.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Sony a7

Thanks Dave, I'll have a look and hopefully fix the problem.

Thanks for your help, I'll let you know how I get on.

Hello Dave

Finally got it all hooked up. Now to put it through its paces.

Must admit until I brought this lens I never realised that Vivitar had a TX lens system, I always thought that the Tamron  Adaptal system had been the only one.

Once again thanks Dave for your help in this matter.

Heritage Cameras

tmurph wrote:

Hello Dave

Finally got it all hooked up. Now to put it through its paces.

Must admit until I brought this lens I never realised that Vivitar had a TX lens system, I always thought that the Tamron Adaptal system had been the only one.

Once again thanks Dave for your help in this matter.

You're welcome.

Actually there were quite a few of these interchangeable-mount systems (they're a particular interest of mine, especially the obscure ones), but Tamron is probably the best known today.

Enjoy your new lens!

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

Sony a7
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads