Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Started May 5, 2020 | Discussions
Michael Berg
Michael Berg Contributing Member • Posts: 876
Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

Hello all,

Recently sold my X-T2 in preparation for my expected GAS ahead of the X-T4 release

Now the time is nearing and since I sold the X-T2 with its kit lens (the 18-55 F2.8-4 OIS), I find myself needing another good, general walk around kit lens.

I kind of planned to get another 18-55 but now Fuji has released the 16-80 F/4 I see that this lens is very highly recommended for just that purpose. Only ... the zoom/focus issues are worrying. I don't do a lot of video work so .. meh. Corner image quality and image quality consistency in general is also somewhat worrying. But the lens just seems to well made.

Now that the X-T4 comes with IBIS, the older 16-55 F/2.8 is suddenly really interesting again. Much better image quality and the X-T4 can now compensate for the missing OIS.

So. Which kit lens would you buy today, along with the X-T4?

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
AnastieByte Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: Buying the X-T4 - but which kit lens

I own the 18-55 and 16-55. The 16-55 with 2.8 across the range is super sharp and my most used walkabout lens. I have avoided the new zoom due to many reports commenting that it’s not as sharp as expected. Others views may differ.

AnastieByte's gear list:AnastieByte's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
57LowRider Veteran Member • Posts: 4,240
The Brick

... the only downside being size/weight compared to the 18-55.

57LowRider's gear list:57LowRider's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +11 more
Doug MacMillan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,319

I've seen the brick but never shot with it. If I were to buy the T4, I'd pair it with the brick.

Doug MacMillan's gear list:Doug MacMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-H1 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +9 more
AnastieByte Forum Member • Posts: 66
Re: The Brick

57LowRider wrote:

So many people call it “The Brick” but it surprised me by being lighter than I anticipated! Makes up for any “bulk” with it’s stunning optics.

AnastieByte's gear list:AnastieByte's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM
supernova86
supernova86 Forum Member • Posts: 65

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

So many people call it “The Brick” but it surprised me by being lighter than I anticipated! Makes up for any “bulk” with it’s stunning optics.

Its 100grams lighter than the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 DX, which is excellent by the way.

I think pairing the XT4 with a 16-55 is a no brainer unless you need something light. In that case, there are many options, from several primes to the XF 18-55 or even a XC 16-50.

supernova86's gear list:supernova86's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm X-T20 +3 more
Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 16,849
Another vote for the 16-55 (aka Brick)

With the possible exception of my 100-400 (since I tend to do a lot of wildlife photography), the 16-55 spends the most time on my X-H1. It’s almost the perfect walkabout lens, if you don’t mind dealing with a little extra weight. The optics across its FL range are superb, and the constant f/2.8 aperture gives you a lot of flexibility for subject isolation or low light work when needed.

You’ll hear a lot about the weight, hence its nickname, christened by forum member Greg7579 years ago. It’s optically one of Fuji’s best (if not THE) best zoom and the focal length range makes it almost idea for travel. Highly recommended.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
biza43 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,444

16-80.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR +1 more
a_c_skinner Forum Pro • Posts: 10,779

Yep, Ken Rockwell likes it.

-- hide signature --

Andrew Skinner

a_c_skinner's gear list:a_c_skinner's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +5 more
mfoto
mfoto Contributing Member • Posts: 549

It's a tough choice for sure. Keeping portability in mind the 18-55 is the winner, overall flexibility the 16-80 wins it. Low light and pro feel it's the 16-55. With that said I would really consider a couple of good primes.

Cheers, 
Morten

-- hide signature --

Morten Byskov
5050 Travelog
https://www.5050travelog.com/

mfoto's gear list:mfoto's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +3 more
GPAtlanta Regular Member • Posts: 260

supernova86 wrote:

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

Its 100grams lighter than the Nikon 17-55 f2.8 DX, which is excellent by the way.

I think pairing the XT4 with a 16-55 is a no brainer unless you need something light. In that case, there are many options, from several primes to the XF 18-55 or even a XC 16-50.

The 16-55 image quality is marginal better than the 18-55.  Sure if you're shooting professionally, but no way for the average prosumer..  Too heavy and not worth it.

Jostian
Jostian Veteran Member • Posts: 4,584
Re: Another vote for the 16-55 (aka Brick)

Jerry-astro wrote:

With the possible exception of my 100-400 (since I tend to do a lot of wildlife photography), the 16-55 spends the most time on my X-H1. It’s almost the perfect walkabout lens, if you don’t mind dealing with a little extra weight. The optics across its FL range are superb, and the constant f/2.8 aperture gives you a lot of flexibility for subject isolation or low light work when needed.

You’ll hear a lot about the weight, hence its nickname, christened by forum member Greg7579 years ago. It’s optically one of Fuji’s best (if not THE) best zoom and the focal length range makes it almost idea for travel. Highly recommended.

Yup, have to agree with Jerry wholeheartedly, i have exactly the same kit, and couldn't agree more.

-- hide signature --
 Jostian's gear list:Jostian's gear list
Sony a9 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 12-60mm F2.8-4.0 ASPH Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 III +4 more
Jerry-astro

GPAtlanta wrote:

supernova86 wrote:

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

The 16-55 image quality is marginal better than the 18-55. Sure if you're shooting professionally, but no way for the average prosumer.. Too heavy and not worth it.

Sorry, but I’ve owned and pretty extensively used both lenses, and I would characterize the IQ differences (particularly on the long end) as significantly greater than marginal.  That’s not a ding on the 18-55, mind you, and I enjoyed using that lens for a good long time after acquiring my X-T1 years ago.  It’s very versatile and great deal, particularly when purchased as a kit lens.  However, the difference in IQ across the lens’ range coupled with the constant f/2.8 aperture strongly differentiate the two IMHO.  Also, you’re own characterization of 16-55 as “too heavy” is highly subjective.  I use it with the X-H1 and the pair balance beautifully.  With a very small body, that may be more of an issue.

So, to each his own, however my own view of the same two lenses strongly differs from yours.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

Fujifilm X-H1 Carl Zeiss Touit 2.8/12 Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm XF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 OIS WR +1 more
jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,043

I personally wouldn't use one of the "kit" lenses if you're gonna go with the bleeding edge XT4...but that's just me... I'd go for something like the 16-55 or 23 1.4 to start to wrangle the quality out of that sucker and take advantage of the IBIS... if not, don't see the point of pre-ordering it to match it with OK glass. Might as well have got the XT2/XT3/XT30 and saved your money.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more

Jerry-astro wrote:

GPAtlanta wrote:

supernova86 wrote:

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

The 16-55 image quality is marginal better than the 18-55. Sure if you're shooting professionally, but no way for the average prosumer.. Too heavy and not worth it.

Sorry, but I’ve owned and pretty extensively used both lenses, and I would characterize the IQ differences (particularly on the long end) as significantly greater than marginal. That’s not a ding on the 18-55, mind you, and I enjoyed using that lens for a good long time after acquiring my X-T1 years ago. It’s very versatile and great deal, particularly when purchased as a kit lens. However, the difference in IQ across the lens’ range coupled with the constant f/2.8 aperture strongly differentiate the two IMHO. Also, you’re own characterization of 16-55 as “too heavy” is highly subjective. I use it with the X-H1 and the pair balance beautifully. With a very small body, that may be more of an issue.

So, to each his own, however my own view of the same two lenses strongly differs from yours.

Twice the weight and 3x the price.  Is it 3x as good?  That's hard to justify..  It might be 1.5x as good.  A little better in the corners, sure..

thomaslux
thomaslux Regular Member • Posts: 344

It's about whether you need that extra length. The brick is the better lens, I don't doubt that in the least. That said, if a longer reach would mean a lot to you, you have that option.

Personally the parking of the brick and the X-T4 seems ideal.

thomaslux's gear list:thomaslux's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +4 more

jjz2 wrote:

I personally wouldn't use one of the "kit" lenses if you're gonna go with the bleeding edge XT4...but that's just me... I'd go for something like the 16-55 or 23 1.4 to start to wrangle the quality out of that sucker and take advantage of the IBIS... if not, don't see the point of pre-ordering it to match it with OK glass. Might as well have got the XT2/XT3/XT30 and saved your money.

The problem with that logic is Fuji doesn't make just OK glass.  Aside from the 18mm prime, everything is pretty top notch..   People like to think they need what they really don't..

JNR
JNR Veteran Member • Posts: 4,088

I have no qualms with the 16-55 in terms of IQ. Modern "bag of primes" that was the well-earned designation of the Pentax 35-105 f/3.5 a few decades ago - except the 16-55 is much better.

And, like so many of us who adopted Fuji for very specific reasons, I will never own one. I'm done with large, heavy lenses (except for the rare need for a very long lens)... so what would be the best option for pro quality kit zoom in the era of IBIS?

If you go back about four decades, the most under-rated ahead of its time zoom kit lens that no one bought (except me - actually twice after the first one was dropped) was the Tokina 24-40 f/2.8. Small, sharp, and versatile (FF film)... UWA to normal - decent wide open. Pentax kind of tried to match it with the APSc 20-40 Limited, but that was not the right range - and the lens wasn't as good as the price was high.

So, Fuji should step out a bit on the design plank and go with a 16-30 (roughly) at f/2.8 - or f/3.2 if size is still an issue. Don't try to make a pro quality zoom into a portrait lens - just give us great IQ from 24mm equivalent to normal perspective... Really, that would be a great achievement. With the image quality of the XC15-30 (mechanics and aperture limits notwithstanding) - this doesn't strike me as a daunting challenge. I'd be first in line.

-- hide signature --

JNR

JNR's gear list:JNR's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 50mm F2 R WR Phase One Capture One Pro Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +21 more
Jerry-astro

GPAtlanta wrote:

Jerry-astro wrote:

GPAtlanta wrote:

supernova86 wrote:

AnastieByte wrote:

57LowRider wrote:

Sorry, but I’ve owned and pretty extensively used both lenses, and I would characterize the IQ differences (particularly on the long end) as significantly greater than marginal. That’s not a ding on the 18-55, mind you, and I enjoyed using that lens for a good long time after acquiring my X-T1 years ago. It’s very versatile and great deal, particularly when purchased as a kit lens. However, the difference in IQ across the lens’ range coupled with the constant f/2.8 aperture strongly differentiate the two IMHO. Also, you’re own characterization of 16-55 as “too heavy” is highly subjective. I use it with the X-H1 and the pair balance beautifully. With a very small body, that may be more of an issue.

Twice the weight and 3x the price. Is it 3x as good? That's hard to justify.. It might be 1.5x as good. A little better in the corners, sure..

It’s all a matter of perceived value.  For you, the price difference doesn’t justify the improvement in IQ.  For many others, certainly myself included, it does.  You think it’s overpriced, I found it easily to be of sufficient value to justify the additional investment.  Scan the forum for a while and you’ll see a whole lot of other photographers who feel the IQ difference justifies the higher price. So, for you, the solution is simple and obvious: go with the 18-55.  For many others, the combination of better build quality, constant aperture, and superior IQ across the range easily justifies the additional cost.  So, modify your last post to say “That’s hard to justify for me,” and we’d be fully in agreement.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fujifilm X Forum Co-Mod

jjz2 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,043

GPAtlanta wrote:

jjz2 wrote:

The problem with that logic is Fuji doesn't make just OK glass. Aside from the 18mm prime, everything is pretty top notch.. People like to think they need what they really don't..

I'd say it's just OK within Fuji's lineup, but better than other camera manufacturers 18-55 lenses, so to dump all your money on a pre-order top of the line camera then put a 290 dollar used kit lens on it doesn't make any sense to me if its IQ you're after. Would have got better IQ out of an XT2 and 16-55, guaranteed.

If going with the 18-55, I'd supplement it with 2-3 primes in that range for IQ on an X-T4.

jjz2's gear list:jjz2's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads